General Discussion Race Reports! » BADGERLAND STRIDERS SOUTH SHORE HALF MARATHON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

BADGERLAND STRIDERS SOUTH SHORE HALF MARATHON - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee (South Shore PArk), Wisconsin
United States
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 55s
Overall Rank = 149M/286M
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/51
Pre-race routine:

Nothin'. Hung out with some Donkeys: DJDavey, Firstnet911, AmyJoTris, PJGrande (intern? Donkey), Sgoehner, Tri-N-Spin, and tried to stay warm. Saw Jim from my Master's swim class, said 'Hi' Also saw Paul Hiegel from my XC days back in South Milwaukee.
Event warmup:

Minor bit of stretching, mostly ankles, calves and lower legs (avoiding shin splints).
Run
  • 1h 53m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I was displeased by my average HR. I would have expected it to be quite a bit lower for the overall pace and given the amount of run training (read greater fitness) I have put in since my prior 1/2 Mary last Fall and my recent training runs. By memory, I think my average HR was about the same last Fall.

I suspect the sloppy conditions, race environment, and BRUTAL wind (did I mention that the wind was brutal???) contributed to the greater physical effort. I did manage to shave about 6 minutes off the 1/2 time of last Fall. Given that I turned at the half-way point at 55:15, and the sense that the wind on the way back would be tough, I suspected that either I'd have to explode my heart within my chest to run the same pace or I was going to come in a bit slower than I thought I could. Pleased overall with result at this point in the year and given the conditions, however.

Nutrition/Hydration. Carried only gels, no liquids. Water at mile three, gel at mile 5, Gatorade between 6.55 and 7 miles. Given the HR, I did not think I could have choked down another gel after the gatorade at roughly mile seven.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. Just slugged it out.
Post race
Warm down:

Given the weather conditions, cooling down (temp-wise) was just a matter of walking around a bit while cheering other Donks. Abnormal for me, my calves and butt were very tight. I suspect the abnormal stride of traversing the ankle-deep water in the various puddles and the mud bogs adjacent to them put some different muscles into play.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If I haven't mentioned it before, I thought the wind played a "small" role in the event and certainly my performance.

Event comments:

This is a low-key affair. I was impressed with the size of the field and more so in the number of "day-of" registrations. The 'day-of' folks saw the weather outside their windows this morning and STILL chose to come down and race this bad-boy.

The same-day registration was a modest $10, so to expect much in the way of post-race goodies would have been unrealistic. Beer, pretzels, soda, water and a warm place to hang were plenty enough, IMO.

I'll run this event again.

A special shout-out to the volunteers and spectators (who I think were more mentally unstable than the athletes for braving the conditions to WATCH a bunch of mentally unstable people).

And finally, a big EEEEEAWWWW to the other BT'ers/Donkies with whom I shared the experience and who came out to support the others: DJDavey, Sgoehner, Firstnet911, Amyjotris, PJGrande, Tri-N-Spin, TriDDS, Travisvb24, Sandivb76. Look forward to seeing most of you TOMORROW as we bless the burro and kick off a safe outdoor tri season. Whew, and amen.

Last updated: 2008-04-11 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:55 | 13.1 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/51
Overall: 0/286M
Performance: Good
First mile in 8:00, second mile split in 16:50. After that, lost track a bit until halfway in 55:15. Mile 7 in 1:00 and hung on from there. HR was JACKED, from mile 2 onwards - averaged 169 for the full race.
Course: From SS pavillion south along the lakeshore path to the top of the first hill on the South Milwaukee XC course and back. Running this path brought back some memories of riding/running this route when I used to live in SM. Our annual LSD for SM XC was a one-way trip from SS along the same path into SM and to the HS. We all looked forward to this particular training session as we got to f&ck around a bit (sure beat hill repeats). Anyway, the path was WAY wet!. At least five small lakes decided to form across the course. On the way out, many runners tried to circumnavigate them but ended up going through mud bogs instead. Finally we came to one that was impossible to circle around, so through it we all went - the lid was off, the cherry popped, (insert own phrase). From that point on - hit it right down the middle! The course was generally flat, but had a few rollers. A fair amount was protected from the wind, as it wound through the parks along the lake front, Sheridan, Warnimont, Grant. There was a STRONG N/NE wind (15-20mph easy) that helped propel on the way out, but was f$ckin' BRUTAL on the way back, from about mile 9 home. By the time I got this far in the race, the runners were pretty well strung out, so no opportunity to draft. I sensed a few runners behind me that were undoubtly thinking, "hey, fat guy, good wind block", so I probably dragged a few along the last third of the race. Given the time of year in general and the reality of this year's Winter weather, I should not have expected anything less for the condition of the route. No whining here, but conditions were trying, to say the least.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-12 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Subject: BADGERLAND STRIDERS SOUTH SHORE HALF MARATHON

2008-04-12 5:27 PM
in reply to: #1333058

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Subject: RE: BADGERLAND STRIDERS SOUTH SHORE HALF MARATHON

Wind? What wind?

Excellent job out there today. I was also suprised that so many people actually ran today- given the weather.

2008-04-12 6:14 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

wind........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............dont seem to remember wind.....gusts maybe, but no wind.......

again, excellent job!! 

2008-04-12 9:03 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Great job Jeff!
2008-04-13 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
way to tough it out!
2008-04-13 5:02 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Awesome job Jeff!! Great seeing you again.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BADGERLAND STRIDERS SOUTH SHORE HALF MARATHON Rss Feed