Firstwave Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 19s
Overall Rank = 241/1558
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 53/157
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at home the night before, went to bed a little late, around 11 or so. Woke up at 3 AM to make breakfast and get packed, and then woke up my wife at 3:30, so that we could take off. Got out the door, and promptly turned the wrong way to get to the race, taking the slightly longer route. Sigh... I was tired. But we did get to the race, only getting lost one more time (it's a difficult job to miss the Pacific Ocean... but I managed to do it!!). Got there about 5:50, and there is simply no one around. Check in is supposed to start @ 6:00. We get out of the car and walk towards where the start is supposed to be, and sure enough, the only OTHER person there is my work running partner. Who knew. The desk did open up at 6:00, and the benefit to being first is no line for the check in or parking. Went back to the car and hung out for an hour.
Event warmup:

It was supposed to be a fun run. No pressure. I did some stretching. Stood in a long line for the bathroom, and finally gave up about 2 minutes before the race started.
Run
  • 1h 47m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok... I have NO idea where this run came from. I was not preped. I didn't taper. I'm starting up my Build 3 week for goodness sake. It was supposed to be a nice easy run.

The gun sounds, and people start moving. I'm hanging with my running buddy, looking for my wife, who as usual, has managed to disappear just before the start of the race. So I shrug, and start moving towards the start line. Get across the start line and figure I'll just take it easy.

Get to mile 2, haven't really looked at my watch, and I feel like I'm going easy. There was a lot of weaving through the crowd the first mile, especially this one section where they went down to one lane because of road work. Also, the course starts with a good hill. So.. I'm feeling good, like I'm just out for an LSD run. THEN, at mile 2, a couple of guys to the right say "Hey... we're going a little fast... that was a sub 16" I look at my watch, and just am stunned. 8 minute miles for a half-marathon are way way beyond me right now. Haven't trained for them. Aren't ready for them yet. And did I mention, I wasn't tapered.

Ok... so... it was a fluke, I was going out too hot. I slow down. Look at my watch on the next mile. 7:45. Then a 8:15 with a water stop. I have NO idea where this is coming from. But at this point, I figure I might as well go with it.

Keep on going, around the absolutly gorgeous course. It starts through the Santa Cruz Residential area, and then goes through a State park, right on the coast line. The course is wonderfully quiet, to the point where I'm listening for Redwing Blackbirds in the trees, and looking at the Spring wildflowers.

About mile 10, my quads start burning, and I figured that I was done for. But, I know at this point, all I have to do is just keep moving forward at something less than walking, and I've got a massive best time. So I slow down, trying to keep a maintainable pace.

Get to the end, which is on a downhill and then a beach. Have enough energy, for a change, to actually kick it up. The beach did throw me a little, because I just wasn't ready to finish on it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing?
Post race
Warm down:

Did some walking around, and grabbed a water before going to the finish line to watch for my wife and running partner. My legs really didn't feel very bad at all, and still don't.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Um... faster? Maybe if I actually prepped for the course?

Event comments:

A very nice race. It's all about location. An April run along the Pacific coast just can't be beat. They could have used some more volunteers, and the volunteers could have been a little bit more enthusiastic. The race itself was just beautiful and peaceful. So... sun... sand... Pacific Coast... race? What more do you need?

Last updated: 2007-12-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:19 | 13.1 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/157
Overall: 241/1558
Performance: Good
Course: We in Northern California are simply spoiled. How many other places have beautiful races in the middle of April, through state parks overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Very very nice course. Some tricky hills, but not to bad. Really, the course alone just makes the whole race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-13 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Santa Cruz Half Marathon

2008-04-14 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1334737

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Santa Cruz Half Marathon

Wow! you really pulled out a great race! Excellent job- maybe the key for you is no taper, ha! Awesome kick at the end!

Well done!

2008-04-14 8:52 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA

Great race...I had the same thing happen at the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon...Start running nice and easy and out of nowhere do much much better than I had been training for. 

2008-04-14 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
WA
Awesome brian!!  what an amazing PR!!! 
2008-04-17 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1336428

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Nice job with the run.  It is amazing how you can start with the idea that you'll take it easy and then two miles in you're looking at your PR for two miles--much less having another 11 ahead.

Your running is looking very strong.  Keep it up.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Cruz Half Marathon Rss Feed