Playtri
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 22s
Overall Rank = 36/236
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 loaded car and stopped at BK for a crossant and hashbrowns. Was going to meet my wife and son at the race since I did not start until 8:20.
Event warmup:

None. No prerace swimming allowed and what was the point of doing anything else since transition closed about an hour before the race.
Swim
  • 29m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam in swim only race yesterday and was not happy so did not have high hopes going in. Really could not get a rythem breathing. Actually could reach bottom at the start so I stood few a few seconds to get going. Actually felt much better coming back into the chop. Swam pretty straight but could not find anyone to draft off of. The problem is I would swim really good for a while and would pass abunch of and then would have to catch my breath and they would pass me. Swimming with a nose plug helps me not hyperventalate but I can't breath as well. I actually took it off a few times but kept getting cold water in my nose and that caused more problems.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim in my wetsuit better. Learn to relax. I swam great in my 3 OW races last year and this year has me thinking how I can ever swim an IM.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

42nd fast T1. Could not decide what to wear. Had short sleave tri top, long sleeve cycling jersey, hat, 2 pair gloves and armwarmers. Put on Tri Top and tried to put on arm warms but they would nto go on and either would gloves. Put on my hat just to keep my head warm. Decided against putting shoes on bike since I had not practiced.

Make up my mind about clothing before swim. I was just worried about being cold on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 5s
  • 27 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

First 10 miles I averaged 17.2. Next 10 around 23. Next 5 18mph. Can you tell where the wind/hills were. Started off bad and though I would not have a good race. Roads were decent but there were some rough spots. Much better than I expected though. Really did not see alot of people. I did not realize I was that far up but I also expected more people.

Ride hills more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Good transition 14th fastest overall.

Nothing.
Run
  • 47m 2s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off fast but quickly realized I was running with the wind. First mile was 7:06 and past a few people (who passed me later and I never caught them). Felt good on the run but right Quad and hamstring started to cramp slightly. All miles were under 8 except 1 wich was 8:05. I have only run 2 10K's both as part of tri's and this is my PR by over 5minutes. My goal was not to be lapped by the HIM winner. Well he caught me with .5 miles to go. David Gillen tried to chear my past him but there was no way. Almost cramped bad rounding last corner but the crowd got me home. Looked for my wife and son but could not find them. Oh well, there was a lot of people they have to be here somewhere right?

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate alittle talked to David somemore and went to my transition spot to pack and get my phone to call my wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough hill training and need to OW practice

Event comments:

Well I get my phone and have 3 messages from my wife. I can't really read them because of the sun but see race and emergency so I call her. Well aparently when they got there they went to cross the street. Looked and saw bikes coming so my son stepped out, they did not realize there was bikes coming the other way (HIM leaders I think). One of them clips my son, knocks him down but the rider stayed up. My wife/son freak and the EMT's come and say they think he probably has a broken leg. They ask her if they should go find me but she says no and take my son to the hospital for X-rays.

Well I grab my bike and head to leave transition not caring at this moment about awards. The guy at the exit says no leaving yet but I interupt and say what is going on and he sees my number and says to go. I think he was informed I would be there. I rush to the hospital but luckily no broken bone and he was running around like crazy this afternoon.

Here is what sucks, my wife was not paying attention and if that would have been me I would have gotten so much crap it wouldn't be funny I say one thing to her about being carefule and I still get crap. Man I can't win. Having a pregnant wife can be a pain sometimes. But at least I have a muligan now. All I know is my son has been taking a beating lately. I busted his head on a coffee table 2 weeks ago and now this.

Overall a great race though. Well run except the long weight between the HIM and oly start standing on cold concrete with no shoes.

Last updated: 2008-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:29 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 56/236
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Out and Back in Lake Caroline.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:05 | 27 miles | 19.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 38/236
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course weaved around Las Colinas.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:02 | 06.2 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 39/236
Performance: Good
Course: Bascially a U shaped out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-13 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: Playtri Olympic

2008-04-13 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1334808

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Playtri Olympic
OMG! That was your son?? My parents and fiance saw it happen and told me about it. I am sooo glad that he is ok and did not break his leg. You had a great race too. Awesome job on the run PR!!!
2008-04-13 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Great job on the race and the run PR. Glad that your son in OK - he's tough as nails just like his ol' man.
2008-04-13 9:09 PM

User image

Ken, you had a great race today.  Your son was incredibly lucky.  INCREDIBLY!!!  A few minutes before I met you in T2 transition (I was the relay guy waiting on SportySue), I saw your son get hit by, none other than Justin Daerr, Pro Triathlete.  I just had no idea that was your son.  Justin was smokin through there, downhill, with a tailwind.  He had to have been going 25+mph.  From my vantage point, it looked like your son was playing and jumped off the curb.  It was right there across from the dismount line where the bike lane was only 7-8 feet or so.  People were standing on the curb and there was a slight curve to boot.  It was really difficult to see if anyone was coming.  In a bizarre coincidence, Justin's girlfriend, Brook, was standing right there and saw it happen also.  He stopped his bike to turn around and look to make sure "the boy" was in one piece, and also put his chain back on.  His gf ran down to him and she reported that he said "he was fine, but how was the boy?"  Probably about crapped in his pants too, cause if he had gone down, it would have been ugly.  Your wife was very distraught and upset.  One guy in particular was piling on saying "yeah, I think it's broken".  It didn't look like it to me, but who am I to hold a public debate over a possibly broken leg?  Don't come down so hard on your Mrs.!  They were there to see you!  I know when I take my kids to see my wife's races, it is impossible to keep them in line all the time.  If anything, it was a poor location safety-wise to view the race.

You should get Justin's email off his website and let him know your kiddo is okay.  I am relieved to find out he's doing fine!  I thought it was kind hearted of Justin not to be such a selfish triathlete SOB like a Normann Stadler.  Can you imagine if HE had hit your son?

Anyways, long day for your family, glad you stayed on the course and had a good race.  It was nice to meet you briefly.  Saw you on your run to, you were looking pretty smooth.

2008-04-13 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1334977

User image

Champion
Butler
rgill - 2008-04-13 9:09 PM

Ken, you had a great race today.  Your son was incredibly lucky.  INCREDIBLY!!!  A few minutes before I met you in T2 transition (I was the relay guy waiting on SportySue), I saw your son get hit by, none other than Justin Daerr, Pro Triathlete.  I just had no idea that was your son.  Justin was smokin through there, downhill, with a tailwind.  He had to have been going 25+mph.  From my vantage point, it looked like your son was playing and jumped off the curb.  It was right there across from the dismount line where the bike lane was only 7-8 feet or so.  People were standing on the curb and there was a slight curve to boot.  It was really difficult to see if anyone was coming.  In a bizarre coincidence, Justin's girlfriend, Brook, was standing right there and saw it happen also.  He stopped his bike to turn around and look to make sure "the boy" was in one piece, and also put his chain back on.  His gf ran down to him and she reported that he said "he was fine, but how was the boy?"  Probably about crapped in his pants too, cause if he had gone down, it would have been ugly.  Your wife was very distraught and upset.  One guy in particular was piling on saying "yeah, I think it's broken".  It didn't look like it to me, but who am I to hold a public debate over a possibly broken leg?  Don't come down so hard on your Mrs.!  They were there to see you!  I know when I take my kids to see my wife's races, it is impossible to keep them in line all the time.  If anything, it was a poor location safety-wise to view the race.

You should get Justin's email off his website and let him know your kiddo is okay.  I am relieved to find out he's doing fine!  I thought it was kind hearted of Justin not to be such a selfish triathlete SOB like a Normann Stadler.  Can you imagine if HE had hit your son?

Anyways, long day for your family, glad you stayed on the course and had a good race.  It was nice to meet you briefly.  Saw you on your run to, you were looking pretty smooth.

Thanks.  It was really a bad situation.  Unfortunately they weren't even watching the race, they were trying to cross the road where they really shouldn't have been.  I am definately glad he was not upset about it but I definatley will email to apologize.
2008-04-13 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Rgill told me that whole story about your son (although at the time he didn't know it was your son!) Glad to hear he is OK. NICE race today, although I really think you should have been running faster when I saw you! Glad to see you finished #2 Clyde, I actually finished #1 Athena, but I don't think there were many entries since my times were SLOW!!

2008-04-14 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

I'm so glad Kaleb appears to be allright.  Thanks so much for calling me after the race and letting me know that you were leaving and what had happened.  I appreciate that.

I seems like this was just one of those freak accidents that could have been much worse.  I'm sorry I didn't get to meet your wife.  Hopefully, I will one of these days.

On a brighter note, you had an absolutely killer race.  I'm the most impressed with 2 things:

1. Your appropriate pacing on the bike and
  2. Your unbelievable run split that followed.  

The wind was very strong out there yesterday and I think that you could have really blown yourself up if you pushed too hard, so kudos for pacing well.  Then to run 7:35s in really awesome, Ken.  I didn't know you had that kind of speed in those freakishly long legs!  That's faster than by best OLY run split! 

Anyway, great race all around and congrats on the 2nd place HW.   I guess you'll need to contact Ahmed to see if you can get the HW, right?   

2008-04-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1335906

User image

Champion
Butler
dgillen - 2008-04-14 9:22 AM

I'm so glad Kaleb appears to be allright.  Thanks so much for calling me after the race and letting me know that you were leaving and what had happened.  I appreciate that.

I seems like this was just one of those freak accidents that could have been much worse.  I'm sorry I didn't get to meet your wife.  Hopefully, I will one of these days.

On a brighter note, you had an absolutely killer race.  I'm the most impressed with 2 things:

1. Your appropriate pacing on the bike and
  2. Your unbelievable run split that followed.  

The wind was very strong out there yesterday and I think that you could have really blown yourself up if you pushed too hard, so kudos for pacing well.  Then to run 7:35s in really awesome, Ken.  I didn't know you had that kind of speed in those freakishly long legs!  That's faster than by best OLY run split! 

Anyway, great race all around and congrats on the 2nd place HW.   I guess you'll need to contact Ahmed to see if you can get the HW, right?   

Thanks, I actually contacted one of the RD's and she is going to take my award to Luke's for me to pick up. BTW, I didn't know I had that run split in me either.  PR'd the run by 5minutes and the first 5K was not far off my standalone 5K.  I guess I really should be running 5K's faster.  But I did not push on the bike like I probably could have either.

Edited by kproudfoot 2008-04-14 9:27 AM
2008-04-14 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Great race! We must have gone up the stairs out of the lake at about the same time but after T1 I doubt I would have seen you again. Awesome run pace.
2008-04-14 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Glad to hear the kiddo is ok.

I felt your pain on the T1 decisions.  I thought I had made mine prior to the race I just couldn't get anything to go on smoothly so I finally gave up and got out of there but not before wasting four minutes.

Your race times look fantastic. 

CONGRATS!!! You rocked it.

K

2008-04-14 9:56 PM

User image

Dayton, OH
Great race...even better to hear that your son is OK. Nice job with the PR on the run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Olympic Rss Feed