http://www.ontherunevents.com/
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 30s
Overall Rank = 13/?
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/?
Pre-race routine:

I got there an hour early, I got a good spot & set up my transition.
Event warmup:

Submerged into the cold water a few minutes before the race start.
Swim
  • 06m
  • 250 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got winded 1/3 into the swim & inhaled some water. I struggled badly to get around the bouy, at one point doing the dog paddle. About the 2/3 point, I caught my breath & found my side stroke & felt like I finished OK.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice swimming a lot more, especially OWS. Time is a rough guess.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

I choose to be very careful on my first ever transition, I took my time & made sure I didn't forget anything. It was slow, but I needed socks & a jacket because it was cold & I'm glad I wore them. My time is an estimate, my wife tried to time me, but got caught up in the excitment.

Nothing, I'm glad I wore socks & a jacket, I saw some people freezing out on the bike.
Bike
  • 40m 33s
  • 12.64 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to hold a 20 mph avg, but the wind was kickin my butt. The chip seal was a bit taxing as well. I stopped nearly half way through to see if I could help a lady on the side of the road, but I didn't have tools. I think some of my T2 time is rolled into my bike as well. I had trouble switching my Forerunner from the bike to my wrist & accidently pushed the lap button while still in T2. My feet went numb from the cold about 3/4 of the way through. My bike had a flat rear tire when I got home. I passed about 8 people & was passed by one person, Rick from BT.

Need more time on the bike, maybe learn Aero. Felt too slow & won't be happy until I can get my average speed over 20MPH.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Had a little problem getting my jacket off over my Forerunner wrist band, accidently pushed the lap button on the Forerunner. At the last minute I decided to go with my Asics with the speed laces & I'm glad I did. I forgot my visor.

Not forget my visor. I would have helped a little with the sweat, but it wasn't too bad.
Run
  • 22m 37s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldn't feel my feet for the first 3/4 of the run. I tried to keep my pace as close to 7 minutes a mile as I could. I started to fade a little just before the turn around. I hit a gel at the turn & felt great the rest of the way in. I tried to catch the Army guy in front of me but missed him by 45 seconds. I passed about 7 people on the run.

Nothing, the run was great & I was spent.
Post race
Warm down:

Change out of the wet clothes to get warm, pack up & cheer on the other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Can't swim, need more saddle time.

Event comments:

I was really worried about injury. I had played tennis the prevoius 2 days & had hip pain & a slight tweak in my lower leg. Nothing bothered me physically until after the race. I wish I would have had espresso instead of French press. I have to pee right before the race & held it for almost an hour & a half.I'm glad my family could come with me & be supportive.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:00 | 250 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full
Course: Out & Back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 50F / 10C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:33 | 12.64 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Average heart rate was 156 with a max of 168. Perfect!
Wind: Some
Course: The road was nearly all chip seal. I tried to stay on the shoulder, but there was quite a bit of glass. Pretty flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:37 | 03.17 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Average heart rate was 165, max was 175.
Course: I was able to run on the dirt shoulder for about a third of the race. Flat out & back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-13 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
Subject: Spring Classic Sprint Triathlon

2008-04-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1335073

User image

Silverdale, WA
Subject: RE: Spring Classic Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your first Tri! Looked like you had a really strong race. The OWS really does get easier in time. I was a bit worried because I had not been open water yet this year, but last year carried over well and I had no problems. It does get better.

I am still feeling that rough ride two days later...went for a long run yesterday that was the pits. (BTW, I think it was someone else who passed you on the bike...I managed to get out onto the bike course in 7th place and was then passed by 3 people which was a first for me, usually all of the strong racers are long gone)

Was great to meet you and your wife, will see you again down the road it appears. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Rick
2008-04-15 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1335073

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Spring Classic Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your first Triathlon!!! Looks like it was a nice and chilly day.

1:13 is great for your first race. Get some more time in the water/saddle, and you will be smoking the next round. Congrats again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Classic Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed