Colorado Masters Running Association
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 59s
Overall Rank = 20/69
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and slowly got out of bed. Made a smoothie and did some reading. I had pretty much put everything together last night, so put on shorts, sweats and grabbed my bag to go.
Event warmup:

Ran out about 1.25 miles with Greyhound and then back. Checked out the "singletrack" section that was added to this years race.

Got back and decided on what shoes/shirt to wear and headed to the start line.
Run
  • 37m 59s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Got started off at a comfortable pace. I seeded myself pretty well at the start. I moved past a few people on my left and there were about an equal number of people that went by me in the first 1/2 mile or so. Jockeyed with a couple of people on up/down hill stretches before the single track, but after they dropped me :( I didn't pass anyone nor did anyone pass me for the remaining 4.x miles. I hit the singletrack section far enough back from those ahead of me that I could see the trail/footing clearly. Once back on the bike path I kept an even effort except for the short hill that I tried to "work". Seems like that was a mistake, should have relaxed and let the speed drop but that was a spot decision. Was fairly comfortable at zone 4/low 5 but then in the 3rd mile, I started daydreaming about lots of stuff, then I realized that the folks that were just a little bit ahead of me had increased the gap - oops. I kind of maintained the effort out to the turnaround but was slightly demoralized when I saw I slipped to 8:02. I hoped to make up something on the way back down. I paused for a water walk and then headed out. Now more concerned about myself and the guy behind me who had closed the gap. When I hit mile 4 in 7:32/30:32 I was thinking, hey, if I can run a 7 minute mile I could be close to my secondary goal for the day. I still had hope. I tried to stay smooth and keep the effort up for 4 minutes, and then I tried to pick up the effort a little bit each minute to the finish. It wasn't coming fast enough. When I saw the official clock I knew I couldn't hit my tertiary goal and was about to let up when I realized I could at least still break the next minute barrier, so I pushed with what I had and hit the line in 37:59
What would you do differently?:

Not push the short hill and stay more focused.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran out to the singletrack and then back on it with Greyhound.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

terrible diet and sleep habits the week leading up to the race. Carrying an extra couple of pounds over my excess body weight.

Event comments:

Fun group. Typical CMRA event although I didn't bring home any bread this time.

Last updated: 2008-02-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:59 | 05 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 20/69
Performance: Average
Mile 1 - 7:26 HR 179 Mile 2 - 7:31 HR 180 Mile 3 - 8:02 HR 172 Mile 4 - 7:32 HR 179 Mile 5 - 7:28 HR 192
Course: Dirt bike path (Sand Creek trail) with about a 4 tenth of a mile single track section thrown in for fun. Undulating trail with a gradual uphill from mile 2 to mile 3
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-13 10:16 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Sand Creek 5 Miler

2008-04-17 1:52 AM
in reply to: #1335129

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Subject: RE: Sand Creek 5 Miler

Sounds like a great race to me . Well done .

Some runners in my club say  running on dirt make one  a little slower in a race . 

Great speed workout for that upcoming 10k.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sand Creek 5 Miler Rss Feed