General Discussion Race Reports! » PlayTri - RBM International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

PlayTri - RBM International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irving, Texas
United States
PlayTri
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 30s
Overall Rank = 27/242
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/28
Pre-race routine:

Go up at about 5:30 and loaded up the truck to drive to Irving. Really wasn't into this race, but knew once I got out there the atmosphere would change my attitude. Got to the race site at 6 and hooked up with Brent and Kris and we headed to transition to get marked and our timing chips.
Event warmup:

It was cold and windy, so we put on our wetsuits and watched the HIM go off. Tried to stay warm and listened to the worst race commentary in the history of races. Terrible.
Swim
  • 28m 53s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my best swim >1000M. I felt real comfortable and didn't have any of the shoulder issues like at Longhorn. The course was kinda cool because you swam under a bridge and your in between buildings, but the course wasn't marked well. At about 500M, I looked up to site and saw a buoy marking a signpost in the water, I went around it and noticed another about 10M ahead except it wasn't marked. I heard the onlookers start yelling and noticed this guy swimming straight at it. He nailed it right on his head, looked like it hurt, but he shook it off and kept swimming. Pretty poor job on marking the course and it didn't seem staffed well.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep working on open water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

As you exited the swim, you had to climb stairs and run about 100-150 yards to the entrance. They had wetsuit strippers, but only 2, and they weren't available when I ran up so I skipped it and ran on. I was on the first rack as you entered so my bike was easy to find, had a little trouble getting the wetsuit off. Honestly, I felt like I was really taking my time, I thought my time would be worse compared to the field, but it wasn't that bad.

Just plan out my wetsuit removal a little better.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 48s
  • 27 miles
  • 21.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Left T1 feeling good and planned on holding back the first 6-9 miles then trying to go, but the wind changed all that. First 9 = 237 watts, 19 MPH and AVG HR 157, Second 9 was downwind and fast = 226 watts, 24.8 MPH and AVG HR 156, Last 9 went hard to finish = 251 watts, 21.1 MPH, AVG HR 156. I passed a lot of people in the first 6 miles then settled in with about 5 others and paced off them. I took it pretty easy on the last 2 miles because I couldn't figure out where the bike was going to end. Ended up 2nd in AG on the bike by .2 MPH.

Continued to push until the dismount. I don't really think I would have felt any different on the run. Also, don't know whether the disk was good or bad due to the wind.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Coming into T2 I really didn't care how fast it was. I couldn't feel my feet and I had to run to the far end of transition to rack my bike. The wind kept blowing my bike all over the place. Finally racked my bike, threw on my shoes, race belt, and hat and walked out, forgetting my GU.

remember GU
Run
  • 48m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Left T2 and couldn't feel my feet, felt like I was running on my knees. First mile was downwind (7.30), then turned to face the wind for the next 2 (8.00 and 8.23). My feet finally thawed at about 2.5 and at the turnaround (3.1) I felt good to push it a little and did miles 4 and 5 in 13.22. Last mile turned back into the wind (8.00) and then turned for the finish.

Stoke a fire at T2 and thaw feet
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a bagel, banana, orange, and drank accelerade, STARVING. Went and found Brent, Robin, and kiddos and went to cheer on flomomango.

Event comments:

I don't know if I will do this race again. Somebody will get hurt out there. Lots of confusion and not enough support. Weird race.

Last updated: 2008-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:53 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/28
Overall: 50/242
Performance: Good
Avg 161 Max 173
Suit: BLue Seventy Helix
Course: Seemed like a half moon shaped course. The swim was pretty crowded, I guess because of the narrow site.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:48 | 27 miles | 21.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 15/242
AVG 156 MAX 170 AVG WATTS 216 Normalized power 236
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Probably to the most confusing course ever. From the set up of cones in the middle of a 3 lane road to the flyby back at the finish. This race just wasn't staffed, organized, or supported well.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:48:58 | 06.2 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/28
Overall: 75/242
Will input later
Course: Liked the run course. Run through park in Las Colinas, passing the Texas state record elm tree (bored on run and read the signs) as I listened to continuous gun shots from the shooting range nearby. Can't begin to tell you where my mind wondered during this part.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-04-14 12:12 AM

User image

Subject: PlayTri - RBM International Distance

2008-04-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1335301

User image

Subject: RE: PlayTri - RBM International Distance
that would be a NEVER EVER for me...too many negs to name. But heres a few - swim was TOO narrow (the chopiness didnt help my drowning situation) and not makred well, bike was confusing and had NO volunteers...cops got confused and I almost got hit once, the only part that I liked was the run...still - not marked at all - luckily it was out/back once you got on the trail. What'd you think of running past the shooting range?? Crazy eh? Hoping to log my race later...crazy, but fun to race w/you
2008-04-14 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Congrats on your win. 

I'm with you too. Not going back to this one. 

2008-04-14 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Nice race! I think all of their volunteers were racing in IMAZ
2008-04-14 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Congrats on a good race. This was my first Oly so I don't have anything to compare it to but I agree with your observations on the event being somewhat short staffed.
2008-04-14 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Sounds like you had a really good race!!! Like you said, the organization was really poor. I doubt I will go back next year too.

2008-04-14 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Great race.  Your bike split was incredible considering the conditions.
2008-04-15 6:46 AM

User image

Planet earth

I did the half in '07....why do you think I didn't participate in any of the events this year?  Def. not well organized..unlike other Playtri events that seem to run smoothly.  You had a great race though

2008-04-15 7:45 AM

User image

Dayton, OH
Nice race. Great time on the bike considering all the wind. I agree with the need for more volunteers.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PlayTri - RBM International Distance Rss Feed