General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surfing wetsuit for Sprint Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-14 3:30 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Surfing wetsuit for Sprint Tri?
Hi... the local sprint triathlons start next month here in Barcelona. The water is still a bit chilly and wetsuit is needed for the first 1 or 2. I have an old 3/2 surf wetsuit that I was planning on using... is this a mistake? Are surf westsuits that much different than tri suits? Since I only need one for 1-2 races, and they are noth sprint distances, I am not sure I want to shell out the money for a new suit. Anyone have experience swimming in a surf wetsuit?

I guess I just need to test it out myself, but I have nothing to compare it to...

Thanks

2008-04-14 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1335436

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: Surfing wetsuit for Sprint Tri?
The difference between a normal wetsuit & tri wetsuit is that the tri suits are designed to have better flexibility around the shoulders. The end result is that your arms don't tire out as quickly as they would with a normal wetsuit. I don't know if a surf suit varies in construction from your average scuba suit, but if they're the same then your shoulders are going to be working pretty hard in a surf suit.
2008-04-14 8:16 AM

dbeach - 2008-04-14 4:30 AM Hi... the local sprint triathlons start next month here in Barcelona. The water is still a bit chilly and wetsuit is needed for the first 1 or 2. I have an old 3/2 surf wetsuit that I was planning on using... is this a mistake? Are surf westsuits that much different than tri suits? Since I only need one for 1-2 races, and they are noth sprint distances, I am not sure I want to shell out the money for a new suit. Anyone have experience swimming in a surf wetsuit? I guess I just need to test it out myself, but I have nothing to compare it to... Thanks

Is there somewhere local that you can rent a tri-specific wetsuit? Or perhaps rent one online?

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-04-14 8:17 AM
2008-04-14 8:57 AM

Extreme Veteran
I used a rash guard for a couple of tri's. My surf suit is too ristrictive around the shoulders inless you have a sleeveless.
2008-04-14 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
I was in the same boat as you. You could use a surf wetsuit, but I think you'd find it more work than it is worth. I put my surf wetsuit on and it was just too restrictive. And a super pain to remove. You might have better luck with a shorty if you have one, but you'll still have restrictions around the shoulders. Several people told me "don't do it" when I suggested I wear my surf suit. I put a tri wetsuit rental on reserve with the local Tri shop. The rental fee was $50 which could be put down on the purchase of the suit (it was new). I searched high and low on Craig's list and eBay. In the end, I bit the bullet and bought a new one on sale on line thru Xterrra. I tried it out for the first time this last weekend and it fit great and worked fine.
2008-04-14 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the replies... not what I was hoping for, but helpful!

I'm going to give my wetsuit a test run, but looks like an investment in a tri-suit is the way to go...

2008-04-14 9:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
A tri-suit is something you wear for the entire event. If you have a wet suit, you wear the tri-suit under the wet suit. I think you are going to look for a tri specific wet suit.
2008-04-14 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1335912

User image

Regular
Sorry for the confusion... you're ight, I meant to say tri "specific" wetsuit, not a tri-suit...
2008-04-14 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Depending on what your race goals are, and how much spare cash you have... swimming in the Surf suit is certainly doable. I still race in my O'Neill 3/2 surf suit that I have had since I was about 16 years old. I have never worn a Tri Specific wetsuiit... so I don't know what I am missing. Perhaps I would sing a different tune if I actually tried a tri wetsuit.

I know I am not going to "win" anything and the old suit keeps me warm and floaty enough that it is fine... so I prefer to save my cash for other things... I can only afford a big ticket item once every few years.

Nevertheless, if you do choose to race in your surf suit, practice a few times with it on and see what you think. The first time I practiced my open water swim with it a couple years back... I recall whining about my shoulders killing me.

You can drop a lot of coin on this sport... so for most newbies, I suggest working with what you have and then creating a wish list for other things as you get more addicted and committed to the sport... like last year when I bought my new Felt S32 bike to replace the ancient mountain bike I raced on for my first year.

Sorry, I didn't check to see if this is your first race or not.... but good luck either way.
2008-04-14 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1336178

User image

Eh, you could do it. I wore a shorty suit for my first OWS and it was fine. It kept me warm enough and I spent zero dollars, because my brother gave it to me.

That said, I have since bought a tri-specific wetsuit and I love it. It is much easier to swim in because it is more bouyant.

Try it, and if you can do it, I would avoid spending the money. Regardless, slather on the bodyglide to avoid a rash from the wetsuit rubbing on you during the swim.

Edited by eberulf 2008-04-14 10:35 AM
2008-04-15 2:06 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the advice... much appreciated!

2008-04-15 2:16 AM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Yes body glide around the neck. Even tri wet suits can rub you raw there. A surf suit could be worse.

Tri your surf suit and see how it works for you.
2008-04-15 2:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Look at ebay and the like, I got a good Desoto T1 for less than a hundred shipped. Best deal I have found on ebay by far, as the idea of dropping a lot of money on a tri wetsuit, when I have so many wetsuits from my military days and now commercial diving.

Good luck
2008-04-15 12:49 PM

I tried to be frugal by buying a surf wetsuit for my first tri and it was a big mistake. I felt like I was suffocating and couldn't move my arms freely. I wanted to rip it off and let it sink to the bottom of the lake. I was almost the last person out of the water. I sold it on ebay. I have a tri wetsuit now, but haven't used it yet. It's sleeveless and I hope it's better. I guess my point is... beware! Maybe yours fits you better though.
2008-04-15 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My wife and I used surfing suits for our first two sprint tris and we did just fine. I was 8th out of the water out of 54 men in my wave on the swim in the second one. We've gotten tri wetsuits for this season and have swum in them in the ocean a couple times and everything everyone says is perfectly valid, but wearing a surfer's suit won't kill you, it will add buoyancy, and it will keep you warmer. More drag, but that has to be weighed against the effects of cold temps in particular if you feel you can't justify a tri wetsuit purchase (or multiple rentals) at present.

I got a tremendous deal on my new wetsuit, but it still cost me over $200 when the dust had settled. Same for my wife. Absolutely couldn't have afforded that last fall when also buying other, higher priority, gear. I got a Body Glove spring suit for $45 last fall--I would have been miserable in my ocean swim with no suit and rentals at the two tris I did would have been more than the BG suit cost.

Mind you, our BG suits just were retired to storage over the weekend, so--as with buying a cheap entry road bike--you will want to upgrade when you can afford it, so factor in the fact that you will be spending twice on the "same" piece of gear. But there's always alot of doom-saying on this subject on this board and much of it--in my opinion--is a bit overstated. YMMV...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Surfing wetsuit for Sprint Tri? Rss Feed