gotrisports.com
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 52s
Overall Rank = 75/173
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up too early (3 am) and could not get back to sleep. Did my usual breakfast/ morning routine nothing different just another day training.
Event warmup:

I had to go to the bathroom pretty bad so I decided that was my chance to go for a run. I ran to the restrooms by the beach and then did another mile or so. Came back to the transition area and started my stretching routine.
Swim
  • 11m 50s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim time includes the 400+ meter run up the beach to the transition area. I looked at my watch once back on the sand and my time was 7:24 for the 500m swim.
What would you do differently?:

I would have slowed down at the start and maintain a steady swim stroke. At the start I powered around the buoy then slowed down considerably. The chop was pretty bad and I found it hard to navigate. I need to work on my open water swimming….

Once I completed the swimming I was so gassed I needed to walk up the beach and about 30+ people passed me running to the transition area. If I had slowed down in my initial start I believe I would have finished the swim/run better and been more equipped on the bike.

Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Bike
  • 36m 46s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 20.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Went way too easy on the bike. After the swim I got the psychological gitters and started to worry about going to hard. Not thinking about the short distance and the name “Sprint” I decided to take it easy on the bike.

I did pass a few people but there were also a few people drafting. At one point I was doing 25.5mph and had a group of 10+ riders pass me on the straight.

In a sprint go all out on the bike....
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Run
  • 29m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Did the same as the bike. Took it way too easy. I should have run the course at an 8 minute pace.

Run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Watched the others come in with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind.

Event comments:

This was my first triathlon and my goal was to break 1:20 so I am happy with the results.

overall great location, on the beach at Hilton Head Island. I live here but the Holiday Inn on the beach has a great room discount ($60) for the weekend for the racers. I would imagine that is a great way to spend a cheap weekend on Hilton Head Island.

The course has 20 sheriff deputies and 25 volunteers so there is someone every 100 meters. I found he course good but my friend crashed his bike pretty bad and needed emergency services but there were none on hand and they had to call 911.

After the race there is the awards ceremony and food/drinks provided everyone seemed to gather after and talk.

Out of the 170 racers I saw only about 3 people who looked like they were there to win it. Everyone else looked like the average Joe, one guy had a 1960’s road bike with one of those generator lights attached to the wheel. I thought that was pretty cool because he gave it a good try even on that old bike. There were also many mountain bikes so you could race on anything if you wanted to.

Overall this is a great race, the turn out for this event was about 25% of previous races. I would recommend this to a novice racer because the ease of the course and the venue.

Last updated: 2008-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:50 | 547 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 74/173
Performance: Average
Suit: Short sleeve wetsuit
Course: Beach swim, mass start, run from waters edge out about 30 – 50 yards then up the shoreline 500 then back into the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:46 | 12.5 miles | 20.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 62/173
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat and fast 4 loops on the local roads. Closed course and very safe.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:18 | 03.1 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/16
Overall: 127/173
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat and fast 1 loop on the local roads. Closed course but you do run on the same road as the bike leg.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-14 8:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
Subject: Hilton Head Island Triathlon

2008-05-06 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1335801

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Hilton Head Island Triathlon
great job on your first tri!
thanks for the video link. pretty cool.

was your friend on the trek tri bike? we have pics of it all bloody. looked like a bad crash.
2008-05-06 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1335801

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Hilton Head Island Triathlon
Saw your report and thought I'd offer my congrats...Used to live on HHI (1992-1994), so I can imagine how a tri there would go...maybe I'll try to get back there some time for it. Cheers!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hilton Head Island Triathlon Rss Feed