Epic Events
10C / 50F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 33m 36s
Overall Rank = 25/301
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00am ate a bowl of cereal then drove for just over an hour to the start.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Just got changed in the carpark and started riding.
Bike
  • 4h 33m 36s
  • 75 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Started with a group of 10 riders but it soon became fragmented. I got to the front of this group and rode away with 2 others and we worked together and made very good time. At the first categorised climb just before the first feed station the two people I was with dropped me on the climb but I caught them on the decent and left the feed station before them and never saw them for the rest of the race.

On leaving the first feed station I put in about 10 miles of fairly hard effort because I was riding on my own and I could see a group in the distance that I wanted to catch and ride with. I eventually caught them but at the time I was worried that I had pushed too hard too early. This was not to be though as once we hit some hills I rode away from this group and I passed quite a few people between the start of the Whinlatter Pass and the start of the Hardknott Pass. The Whinlatter pass was not too hard. It was all in bottom gear but I was not on the limit and was able to spin the pedals fairly freely. I nearly crashed on the decent as I was flying round the corners and caught and passed about 6 or 7 people but got one hairpin corner wrong and went really wide and my front wheel slipped on the mud at the side of the road. I managed to stay upright (somehow) but it certainly got the adrenaline going.

The Hardknott Pass was a killer! I had been feeling really good up to this point but the Hardknott Pass starts with a 33% gradient and climbs 302m in 2.2km (ave. gradient of 13.7%). At some points I was going so slow that I was woried that I would just topple over. I got about two thirds of the way up and had to walk for a few minutes (which was almost as tough as riding due to a combination of the gradient and cleats) before getting back on and riding over the top. The decent was scary! I am not afraid to fly down descents but the roar was so twisty and the surface was so bad that when you put the breaks on hard the bike just bounced off the surface and then of course the wheels just lock up.

The I started my assault on the Wrynose Pass and again managed to get about two thirds of the way up before I had to walk for a few minutes. I was completely drained of energy at this point and for the last few miles of the race sat on someone’s wheel till the end.

This is my first cyclo-sportive and it is probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. The last 20 miles or so are the most I have ever suffered on a bike but this also make it all the more rewarding.

What would you do differently?:

I am tempted to say don't ride so hard at the beginning so I had more energy for the climbs at the end. However, these are so steep you could have all the energy in the world and you'd still be crawling up them. I think I got it just right really.
Post race
Warm down:

Lay on the ground then got a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I went as fast as I possibly could. I could have probably shaved off a couple of seconds if I had started my sprint to the finish a little earlier but I didn't realise how close to the finish I was.

Event comments:

This race is only in its second year but there was not a single hitch. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the route was very well signposted. The only thing that could be improved would be the feed stations as there were only biscuits, cakes etc available. I struggled to eat any of theses and some energy bars/gels/drinks would have been better.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-05 12:00 AM
Biking
04:33:36 | 75 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 25/301
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The route takes in 3000m of climbing with a number of 25% gradients and a maximum of 33%. It transverses the Whinlatter, Hardknott and Wrynose Passes as well as a number of other tough climbs. The course starts with about 20 miles of fairly fast and flat terrain with the exception of one climb. The mid section includes the Whinlatter pass (fairly tough) then some flatter (but by no means flat!) terrain. The course ends with the Hardknott Pass (extremely tough) followed almost immediately by the Whinlatter Pass (tough) then a decent to the finish.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right