United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 17s
Overall Rank = 3/175
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Oak Island, it's about 45 minutes. Ate a pb bagel on the way with a cup of coffee. Had a little Gatorade.
Event warmup:

You have to take a trolley to the start, they were running a little late so there was only time to get to the start, wait in line for the porta-pottie and get to the start line.
Run
  • 21m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

What a strange race, I've been trying to get into the 20 minute range and thought this might be the race to do it. I lined up in the second row, but when we started the people in front were doing the jog thing, which surprised me and it took a little time to work around them. I had not really paid attention to who was in front of me, so when we were at about the first mile and I looked ahead, I was surprised that I could not see anyone. I looked at my 1 mile aplit and thought that it was wierd that there were not more people around. At about the second mile mark I kinda figured that I could at least place in my age group unless I fell apart, I knew that there were some other runners not too far behind so I was really trying to hold pace. We were coming up on the third mile when someone told me I was in second, holy crap! Uncharted territory! I got passed with about 1/2 mile to go, but there was not much I could do about it. Finished 3rd overall, got a nice print of the lighthouse. Once in a lifetime race, usually that time might get me a spot in the age group awards.
What would you do differently?:

My plan was:
6:30
6:40
7:00
I did
6:42
6:54
7:06
I might have gained a few seconds by starting in the front, and I think with some more speedwork I can hit the magic 20's
Post race
Warm down:

Did a couple of miles to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need a little more speedwork.

Last updated: 2008-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:17 | 03.11 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 3/175
Performance: Good
1st mile 6:42 2nd 6:54 3rd 7:06
Course: Point to point race, flat as a pancake, pretty much a straight line from the start to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes