Pacific Coast Trail Runs
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 16m 8s
Overall Rank = 29/83
Age Group = F21-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Left town early enough so I'd get to the start when sign-in opened 1 hour prior to the race. I figured I'd need a fair portion of that time to get ready since I hadn't yet organized my gear into my CamelBak and drop bags. Arrived at the starting area just after 6am and found a line of cars waiting to get in and park. As we sat there, I began packing up, labeling my drop bag, and spilling my energy drink all over me and my car (it was dark). By the time I got in and parked, I was pretty much packed and ready to rock. Got my bib, finished my coffee and went to use the restrooms. After that I just hung out waiting for the race to start.
Event warmup:

Does drinking coffee count?
Run
  • 12h 16m 8s
  • 50 miles
  • 14m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

A few minutes to the start time, Wendell called everyone over to the fire road we'd start heading up. Once we were all there he asked how many were doing their first marathon (a few) or their first 50 (several). Yikes! This is definently not the race I'd choose to do as my first with all the relentless climbing. After a bit more of pre-race chatter we were off... hiking up to the summit. There was a fair amount of jostling around, passing, and trains forming. I had started more than halfway back, but still found that I was pushing hard, possibly too hard at times, to keep up with my train. Definently not a good thing to be doing so early in a long race. Despite the climbing, this section was the most fun. Everyone was in good spirits and there was hooting and hollering. Unfortunately for me I started the race not feeling mentally committed. This would haunt me through the final AS, as I kept thinking about DNFing.

After nearly 2 hours of climbing we made it to the summit, up the observation deck, then looping around a couple miles to the Juniper campground. I blew through Juniper on the way to the summit, even though I was carrying very little food with me and planning to live off the AS. Oops. When I made it back to Juniper (about 2:30 into the race) I grabbed food, but not water. Half mile towards the next AS I realized I was nearly out of water. Doh! Thankfully most of the next few miles were downhill and the temps were still fine as I made my way to the North Gate AS.

I took a prolonged stop at NG to patch up my right heel which was beginning to get shredded (note to self: second skin before a hilly run), then took off at a clip to catch and pass a bunch of people. I could tell I was running really strong. Despite not feeling 100%, nor feeling like my heart was in it, I kept chasing down and passing other runners for the next ~20 miles. The five mile loop back to North Gate had a very nice stream which I dunked my hat in for cooling. Damn that felt nice. Back through NG, filling up my 2L pack for the second time - I drank the entire thing on that 5 mile loop. Some coke, pringles, pop-tarts, and Mike&Ikes for the trail, and I was off running again. Lots of runable sections and gradual climbs... and shade, glorious shade. I began seeing the tall, air-sculpted rocks marking the location of Rock City, though I didn't realize how much descending we had to do to get there. The AS was a welcome sight as it marked the location of my only drop bag - with Mountain Dew Amp. Mmmm... sugary, caffeinated goodness. Again I had run out of water since the last AS, so I filled up, grabbed more Mike&Ikes and took off down the trail to the turn-around.

The short break at the AS combined with the Amp I drank put some new life into my legs. The next couple miles were entirely shaded, flat/gradual downhill, and great for making up time. About 2 miles out, crossing another trail I saw the 2 lead men, with Bev about 1 min behind. From there on out to the turnaround I was counting people to see how far back I was (wait, I'm not racing am I?) and stepping into poison oak to let oncoming traffic by. After what seemed like a very long 10k, there was the AS at the turn around. Finally! Another 2 cups of coke and munchies, then back up to Rock City.

I was still heavily debating quitting. It seemed a shame to drop just because I didn't feel like my heart was in it, but it made it a lot tougher to keep pushing hard if I wasn't 100% committed. The shade on this section of trail kept the temps reasonable, but there was enough uphill that I was forced to walk more than I liked. The miles began to take their toll on me here. I could feel my legs starting to stiffen and threaten to cramp. And I began forgetting to eat. Looking at my watch and doing some quick math, I realized it had been well over 7 hours and 8 liters of water and I hadn't stopped to pee once. Hmmm... that can't be good. I was definently not well hydrated, but was still draining my entire pack between aid stations. I kept on, and finally after 8 hours stopped to water a tree. Another half hour brought me back to Rock City and my Amp.

I was surprised to find 3 runners sitting and chatting at RC. I knew that if I sat down, chances were pretty slim that I'd get back up again! My pace to this point had put me about an hour ahead of my predicted time, and put me finishing before sunset, so I left my headlamp in my drop bag (but kept the flashlight I'd been carrying in my pack all day). From Rock City the climb to the summit was brutal. I checked my watch and saw it was 4pm - the hottest part of the day - as I was climbing up an exposed ridge. A short ways below I sould see the road to the summit and saw a cyclist slowly making his way up and though "what is he doing out in this? he's crazy!!". Oh wait... I'm out here too... guess that makes me crazy as well.

I knew I wasn't consuming enough calories, but eating was sounding less and less appealing. It was getting noticeable that I wasn't getting enough calories as at times I felt as if I had just enough energy to fuel the 4 remaining brain cells. Anything even slightly uphill was walked, and I found myself having to stop on moderately steep uphills. I passed a sign indicating the summit was only 1.9 miles away... thank god! But a little later the course turned left off that trail... I knew I hadn't suffered enough to be that close! As I continued to Juniper I occaisioanlly caught glimpses of a runner behind me. I hate being passed, so I pushed harder, finally getting to Juniper at 9:15 into the race. More water, coke, and food, and up to the summit.

I kept thinking I was nearly there, but my pace was painfully slow on the uphill. Maybe 30 min/mile? But even at my slow pace, I was passing a few people out for a short hike on the summit trail! Almost there... almost there... the final bit of trail and then running across the parking lot to the final AS. Well, if I can move, no sense in quitting now! Ran up the stairs to the observation deck - yes, ran - then back down to retreive my ice-water filled pack and food.

I had been warned that the final 8 miles was rocky, technical, and seemed much longer than 8 miles. Turns out it was all true. As if running downhill wasn't challenging enough to my trashed quads, there were steep switchbacks with loose footing. I inched my way down them - with nothing to hold onto, I wasn't about to risk falling off the mountain - I hadn't come all this way to fall! My painfully slow pace didn't help the miles go any faster. About halfway down I was passed by 2 runners, both making amazingly fast pace on the steep downhills. This spurred me to pick it up, but I still couldn't managed to keep them in sight. Down, down, down... then.. up? What? I thought we were done with that! Down some more... I can see houses not far below... must be getting close.. doesn't look like we can descend much farther... must be getting close... up again? The last 3 miles I felt like the finished had to be just around the corner or over the next rise. But the trail just kept going! Then finally, 2 hours after I'd left the summit, I saw the gate we had started at. Yipee!!! I gave it all I had running for the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Cheese pizza, chicken noodle soup, coke, Reese's pieces. Yum!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills??

Event comments:

Website lists 119 people registered for the race, with only 83 finishers (70% finish rate). The hills plus the sudden heat made it a tough day for many people.

Last updated: 2008-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
12:16:08 | 50 miles | 14m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/83
Performance: Good
Course: From the website: "Mount Diablo is the highest mountain in the Bay Area and provides spectacular views of the surrounding valleys and East Bay. The course makes a thorough tour of Mount Diablo including Eagle Peak, Castle Rock, Rock City, Balancing Rock, North Peak, and Mt. Olympia." Total elevation gain is 13,380' (and 13,380' descending)! The start is at the staging area on the north side of Diablo, and runners spend the first ~7 miles climbing to the summit at ~4300' (from 600'). From there runners head down to tour the west, south, and southeast areas of the park. Lots of climbing, some technical sections (steep with loose footing), and a couple stream crossings. After 37 miles, runners then head up to the summit again and then for a final 8 mile segment with lots of technical, steep switchbacks.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-04-14 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Diablo 50

2008-04-14 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1336521

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Diablo 50
Sounds like a brutal race. Great job getting through it.
2008-04-14 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
A short ways below I sould see the road to the summit and saw a cyclist slowly making his way up and though "what is he doing out in this? he's crazy!!" Oh wait... I'm out here too... guess that makes me crazy as well.

I think that about sums it up.

You're awesome for tackling this race (especially when you weren't really feeling it). I've hiked Mt. Diablo many times, and it's truly a monster -- or, you know, the devil. I can't imagine a 50-miler there! Nice job, and congratulations.
2008-04-14 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Well done Jess! That is just amazing! only 70% finish- wow! And you were 1st in AG- congrats and recover well!
2008-04-14 5:27 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
great job out there gutting it out.  You did it and you finished first in your AG.  Not bad for someone who thought about dropping out so many times.  You're awesome!
2008-04-14 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey, awesome job at a tough ultra! You are definently in a league of your own these days...

2008-04-14 11:00 PM

User image

Master

Wow !  nice job!  I use Diablo as a scenery point and for rock climbing and hiking.  I know bikers.  Welcome a runner to my thoughts.

WoW!  Great job conquering the devil! 

2008-04-15 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1338222

User image

Expert
That is awesome Jess!!
2008-04-15 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks everyone!  For both reading my (long) report and all the comments!

movingsouth: I actually saw some people preparing to climb as I was headed up a trail out of Rock City.  But with the fatigue and heat (it was ~3:30p) I had to stop and have a conversation with myself... "Climbers?  Where am I?  Yosemite?  Nooo.... Hmmmm..... (pause) oh, right, Diablo, yeah..... never seen climbers here".

No, it's not good when you have to think hard about where you are. 

2008-04-15 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Wow!  Totally awesome job.
2008-04-15 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1338843

User image

Master
jesswah - 2008-04-15 7:56 AM

Thanks everyone! For both reading my (long) report and all the comments!

movingsouth: I actually saw some people preparing to climb as I was headed up a trail out of Rock City. But with the fatigue and heat (it was ~3:30p) I had to stop and have a conversation with myself... "Climbers? Where am I? Yosemite? Nooo.... Hmmmm..... (pause) oh, right, Diablo, yeah..... never seen climbers here".

No, it's not good when you have to think hard about where you are.

you saw the beginner climbers, pro partiers... real climbers get up early to climb in the shade on such warm days - when the party set is still sleeping off hangovers.

WTG on the run. 

2008-04-16 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
What an amazing accomplishment.
2008-04-17 5:07 PM

User image

Expert
Awesome job. Sounds like a really tough course! Congrats on your great finish.
2008-04-18 2:30 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Great Job Jesswah!!!

I enjoyed reading your narrative...and...did bring me remembrance when I used to race Adventure Races.

2008-04-19 7:27 PM

User image

Elite
Sweet run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diablo 50 Rss Feed