General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-04-14 11:45 PM
in reply to: #1337621

User image

Master
Subject: RE: BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name?

just need to register www.mediocretriathlete.com, point it at BT and you have all your bases covered

Someone asked about BT beginnings.. you can always a trip back in time on the wayback machine

BT June 2003  

BT Jan 2004 

BT Jan 2005 

2008-04-15 5:48 AM
in reply to: #1338247

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-15 6:41 AM

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
did you really think anyone would take your side???
2008-04-15 6:43 AM
in reply to: #1338431

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

kleinrider - 2008-04-14 1:41 PM did you really think anyone would take your side???

The target of my question was mainly oriented to understand why this name, origins and future plans 

2008-04-15 6:56 AM

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I just want to post that I completely understand where Plissken74 is coming from, because I, too, felt somewhat the same about a year after first discovering BT, believing there was so much more to BT than just information for the beginner.

As time wore on, I began to realize what really made BT was the collective community of an ever-changing, revolving-door of newbies and those here for the long haul, or those so-called "expert" Beginner Triathletes who could always be relied on for sound advice (most of the time) to offer up to the new waves of beginners throughout the year, but especially after the Kona broadcasts and after the New Year.

And I needed to remember how easy it was for me, back in 2005, to find BeginnerTriathlete.com in the first place. If it didn't have the word "beginner" in it, I may have come to believe that Slowtwitch was the only REAL triathlon forum and would have likely abandoned my efforts after a week of their newbie-nonsense.

BT is what it is. Pretty cool.

2008-04-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1338265

slake707 - 2008-04-14 11:45 PM

just need to register www.mediocretriathlete.com, point it at BT and you have all your bases covered

Someone asked about BT beginnings.. you can always a trip back in time on the wayback machine

BT June 2003  

BT Jan 2004 

BT Jan 2005 

I have joked about starting www.mediocretriathlete.com with my SO.

Initial threads:

How to Blame your Equipment for your Poor Preparation

Beer or Hard Liquor for Recovery?

Why Sleep is Better than Training

How to set up the Most Obnoxious Transition Site

2008-04-15 11:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
I think the name BT is purely a business decision and a good one at that. Every website needs a lot of hits to generate revenue and Beginner Triathlete attracts a lot of newcomers. Everybody might have different reasons to join and mine is to use the excellent features the site offers. I have been a silver member for two years and I am happy with the service I am getting and I don't care much about the name.

2008-04-15 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1339037

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

It is still a site where a beginner can come and ask the most basic question and get an honest and helpful answer.  It is a lot more "challenging" to do that at other sites.

I think I googled triathlon forums or something like that when I found BT at the end of '05.  Been happy and thankful to be part of the community ever since and proud to call myself a BTer!

Edited by Daremo 2008-04-15 11:17 AM
2008-04-15 11:30 AM

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
BeginnerMultisport.com? 
2008-04-15 11:36 AM

Master
Saskatchewan

I'm fine with the name. In fact, I think that those racing in BT colours make the best testimonial as to BT's diversity. I plan on getting a tri-suit this season.

Besides, the training logs are awesome and I'm glad that they have stayed here. Ron could easily market them and the technology to big commercial guys for sure.

2008-04-15 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1338383

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Plissken74 - 2008-04-15 12:25 AM
marmadaddy - 2008-04-14 6:02 AM

D.K. - 2008-04-14 9:22 PM Seriously - google "performance triathlete" and see which sites are at the top 5?

You mean like "PerformanceTriathlete.com "? Smile Ron registered that at the same time as BT. Different ideas have been kicked around for a while but we always find the allure of BeginnerTriathlete to be too strong.

To address Plissken74, we're glad and grateful that you really like the site, but I don't see us ever changing the name or abandoning it.

Initially, yes, the sole focus was people new to triathlon, or more specifically people looking to improve their fitness and overall quality fo life through swimming, cycling and running. That's still our main focus but as people hung around we found that we had to grow with them.

Yesterday I was reminiscing about how it was such a big deal a few years ago when madcow did his first ironman. The thought of a BTer doing an Ironman was incredible. He achieved hero status here. It was a very big deal.

Yesterday there were almost 50 BT'ers registered for IMAZ. About 2% of the field. There was an organized effort by other BTers to have watchers on the course who phoned in reports to designated people who then posted those reports to the official race watching thread. Neither Ron nor I had anything to do with it. BT'ers did this on their own. People who identify themselves as Beginner Triathletes.

The coolest thing about that race yesterday, for me, was that some of those 2% were doing their first Ironman and some were very experienced, fast triathletes. Yet they all share the same sense of community and dedication to sharing the benefits of this lifestyle that is inherent in the name BeginnerTriathlete. And they identify themselves as BTers. I find no end of inspiration in that.

I hope to do an iron distance race next year. And if/when I do it still won't compare to crossing the finish line at my first sprint. That was a big deal for me. I know I can do an IM if I train right and I have a bit of luck. When I did that Sprint I had no idea if I could complete it. I had serious doubts even on the run course. Crossing that finish line had huge implications for me.

We want as many people as possible to feel that same thing, to experience that same moment of "I did, it. I really did it" whether it's at an Ironman or a Sprint, or even running their first mile without walking. The name BeginnerTriathlete is meant to let those people know that this is a good place to start down that road.

And after a few seasons if they decide to do some long course triathlon, or perhaps just to enjoy swimming, cycling and running and reap all the benefits of a fit lifestyle, our community will be able to celebrate that with them too.

Excellent explanation and this gave me a full sense of all the things I see here.

No reason to change the name then. Fully agree.

I wish one day BT will be famous in the european community too. Maybe it is something else to discuss in another thread but I am thinking on how to brand BT in Europe... 

There are actually quite a few of us around

2008-04-15 11:47 AM

Expert
Longview, TX

Yesterday I was reminiscing about how it was such a big deal a few years ago when madcow did his first ironman. The thought of a BTer doing an Ironman was incredible. He achieved hero status here. It was a very big deal.

Yesterday there were almost 50 BT'ers registered for IMAZ. About 2% of the field. There was an organized effort by other BTers to have watchers on the course who phoned in reports to designated people who then posted those reports to the official race watching thread. Neither Ron nor I had anything to do with it. BT'ers did this on their own. People who identify themselves as Beginner Triathletes.

The coolest thing about that race yesterday, for me, was that some of those 2% were doing their first Ironman and some were very experienced, fast triathletes. Yet they all share the same sense of community and dedication to sharing the benefits of this lifestyle that is inherent in the name BeginnerTriathlete. And they identify themselves as BTers. I find no end of inspiration in that.

Excellent response Mike.  I was very proud to call myself a BT'er at IMAZ, and I am astonished to think that 2% of people lining up Sunday were BT'ers.  And overwhelmed that I was in the company of such high character individuals as the other BT'ers.

As for the initial post, I myself came to this site knowing absolutely nothing about triathlon and I was a true "beginner triathlete".  I believe this is how over 90% of us join in.  I really like the idea of reaching out to those unfamiliar with this sport and guiding them along.  And if a more experienced triathlete chooses to browse the site even briefly, he should realize that there are a plethora of tools he could use to better himself. 

Keep the name!

2008-04-15 12:02 PM

Heck, see what you get when you just google "triathlon." BT is #4 (or was today). Pretty darn good. I came to this site two years ago as a total beginner, and am still BOP, but improving all the time. I like the "beginner" label for the site, because as others pointed out, it implies a friendly, open community where you don't have to be all fast and egotistical. I really dislike the elitism that some athletes exhibit, and I think it is minimal on this website. Keep it the same!
2008-04-15 12:59 PM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Keep it BT.

While it's true that the audience and users will evolve, there's a lot to be said for a site where you can comfortably ask questions like "what do I wear for a triathlon?" or "which comes first, the bike or the run?" and not get laughed out of the place.

We were all beginners once.
2008-04-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1338229

Champion

texmom - 2008-04-15 12:06 AM

VERY good answer, so now can you tell me (as I know it must be somewhere on this site) how BT came to be? Where is "The history of BT"? I have always wondered how this site got started. It really is an amazing community.

I think I can take this one.

It was all about the first triathlon...Mogadore Resevoir - Oly in September of 2001.  My buddy got the idea from somewhere.  Kinda following the plan from 'Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals' that I got from the library...I never even checked the internet...if it even existed for triathlon.

I had to learn running and swimming from scratch...I had about 4-5 months to train.  My training partner vapor trailed early on.  I remember training to run to the next block was brutal.  Mentally I kept saying over and over 'i hate this i hate this i hate this why am i doing this'...swimming too.  The first month was mostly sidestroke and breaststroke to at least do some laps.

Race day came and went.  I was so green.  I did the advanced towel wraparound technique to change from the swimtrunks to shorts...which weren't even bike shorts.  I came in BOP (not much has changed).  I felt great...even mowed the lawn after I got home....couldn't slow down.

Anyways, a little later I wanted to start a website, I picked this triathlon over home beer brewing.  So the first rendition of the site was actually mindbodysoul.tripod.com with free hosting.  It was basically a race report, couch to 5k and a sprint program. 

I felt so great training for the triathlon that I wanted to share about the merits of cross-training as I knew it could help others. 

The site slowly grew, I added articles at least monthly as I got  steady supporting email, got a few writers, Michael Pate of www.whenbigboystri.com was the first real writer, but I had a real job, wife and beginning my Masters program in Polymer Chemistry.  I never really thought anything of this website as just a hobby.

Then the site crashed in 2002 sometime.  I was at work.  'Bandwidth Exceeded'.  Yikes.  I just exhausted the free tripod plans.  So to get a plan with more bandwidth ($) I needed to get a domain name.  I remember I was in the chem lab making a list of names (most of them an iteration of 'mindbodysoul' but they were all taken) and crossing them all off except for 'beginnertriathlete.com'.  Wow....that is a long name!  It's intuitive, which is good.  It's exactly what the site was about, good...but a finger-twister to type.  Had nothing to do with marketing or a 'business plan'...never would have thought in a million years...

I went with it.  Got a tripod hosting solution with more bandwidth with the BT domain.  All was good again.  Job and school was keeping me very busy.  Triathlon training was here-and-there, mostly back-burner.  I had a good bout of elbow tendonitis from lifting during that time...I was mentally out of training for awhile till I found a good sports medicine doc to fix it.

During this time I first added a forum.  Crickets for awhile but it soon picked up.  Lara was a big help to me on the forums I remember.  I tried to create a training log via Frontpage which worked for all 9 members using it.  I had to manually add EACH person to the database.  It was taking up my whole weekend just adding 4 people to a simple log.

I came across the best (besides marmadaddy) programmer who created this forum, I had him start a simple log with real programming (not a WYSIWYG programmer like me)...just SBR logging and a calendar, week, month and year report.  I paid him by spending the summer re-shingling my dad's roof for $....big business roof.  I don't like heights either.

That went over well.  We added the blog page since Blogging via Blogger was becoming big and I thought it would be the coolest to actually SEE someones training log...the few logs out there were private...and the 'Inspire' me section for blogging...we all know how that went...major props to Lara too during this early time in some initial testing.

And then the activity picked up...triathlon was picking up too at the same time.  I added about a dozen of the current free 'minutes only' plans one winter while on vacation in probably 2004 and the site grew a bunch more and that was when the forum...'needed no more help'...the plans were just in time for the New Years folks.

We then started the 'Wall of Fame' to gather some funds to pay for programming.  This helped a lot in early 2004 to keep some sort of progress going. 

As the training log 'I want' list grew...the site approached the bandwidth for the shared server...I was getting more an more in debt as programming the logs was a good chunk of change.  I HAD to get a dedicated server.  My wife wasn't going to let me charge anything more on the CC's.  So I got a dedicated server though I was kinda forced into turning the 'hobby' into a 'business' ( I still don't like that word)...we locked down the log features that were more support intensive (copy/move/delete) and anything that chowed on the processor.  *You will note from the wall of fame that initially we wanted to keep everything free...if only it was so easy...

That's how it all started.  You guys ask for stuff and features...I find a way to get them done...I aim to please...it has kinda worked out good that way.

And through all this, you all on this site have inspired me many times to get back on the horse and train.  I feel right now I'm the most consistent I have ever been in training..and I'm getting back that 'first tri training' feeling.  I have had thoughts of throwing in the towel numerous times during the early 'formative' years as working 1-2 jobs, going to school then coming home to do email until a horrible hour wasn't working...then publishing on the weekends...not much time left for anything except sleep and repeat.  But in 2006 I was pretty sleepless, working on my thesis in Polymer Science and I just become a Research Scientist at the company I was with for about 5 years...which meant I wasn't a lab-rat anymore....all good things...I was gaining independence, etc...but...as I was about to get handed my first big client's project on toll manufacturing I realized that the upper management will want a lot more of my time...not just the 40hr week.  The site was eating up gobb's of any free time, negatively affecting my young family.  Then I had to make that next decision...

And now we are here in 2008...and just hired marmadaddy.  He already has a list into next year...thanks to you guys. 

Hope it wasn't too boring.  I do love to write though...

2008-04-15 9:18 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Damn, Ron, that's a whole buncha history I didn't know. A complete case study in listening, and providing, what the people asked for. Outstanding.

2008-04-15 9:26 PM

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Awesome post Ron!! This site has helped so many people with everything from weight loss to IM training to some things in COJ that can't be discussed.

A sincere thanks for all the time and energy that you have put into this site!! You and Mike keep hitting the ball out of the park day after day!!! Don't ever change the name!!

2008-04-15 10:36 PM

Master
Interesting post Ron.. awesome to hear how it grew.. you should put that in the FAQ
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name? Rss Feed  

of 2