General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-04-14 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Subject: BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name?

Maybe I will be against most of you but I tell you what I think.

I really like this website, with forums, suggestions, articles, plans, ecc. and I think the target is not only a "beginner triathlete" as the name suggest but even advanced and expert people in this sport art. I would say that it is 50%-50% well split between beginners and advanced. 

Now, the reason behind I opened a thread is that I see that probably we can loose attention over new incoming contacts on the website. People tend to ignore the website because of the name. I noticed it suggesting to give a look to some of my tri colleagues and, not only one, said "ok I will see but I am not an expert but neither a beginner!". Then I had to explain that it is not only for beginners, it is for experts too, etc.

Probably some others are thinking the same and, googling, they will skip the website.

I am interested that BT goes ahead and gets better, improving and so on and I support it with gold membership even if I do not need it.

Why don't we change the name? Would you agree on that? Some more attracting URL name because, honestly, it is the only thing I do not like of the website and it would  have some impact Smile

2008-04-14 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1337621

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA
Subject: RE: BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name?

You can make www.ubertriathlete.com redirect to the same site!

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't want to lose the BT name, though perhaps the "team" could be a "_____ sponsored by BT" type of affair.

Long live BT! 

2008-04-14 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia

as my granny would say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

seems like bt is more than out there in the tri world.  i've mentioned the site to a few people i know who do tris and they have either seen the uniforms or seen the site.  it may not be recognizable in other parts of the world, but in the us, it's got some brand recognition.  and you don't change brand names. 

lastly - i'm a beginner.  this is the only site i found with an active community geared towards beginners.  if it wasn't called beginnertriathlete.com, i may have never found it.

2008-04-14 6:32 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

if something like the name bugs anyone for whatever reason, maybe this site isn't for them anyway.

we ALL were beginners at some point and we ALL can learn new things every day...

2008-04-14 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I started as a beginner and in some facets I am still and always will be a beginner.  Whether it be training, nutrition, strength, bike fittings, swimming techniques,coaching, etc...I, and many others, learn something new on this site every day.  I started here and i'll end here.  Don't change the name.
2008-04-14 7:01 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

I understand what Plisskin is saying, but thats not what this site is about.

Its here to attract beginners, and thats what it is for. Those who stay around and are experts, hang here to advise the beginners... and just to enjoy the camaradere.

Anyway... a rose by any other name.....

2008-04-14 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1337823

User image

Sensei
Sin City
ranger5oh - 2008-04-14 5:01 PM

I understand what Plisskin is saying, but thats not what this site is about.

Its here to attract beginners, and thats what it is for. Those who stay around and are experts, hang here to advise the beginners... and just to enjoy the camaradere.

Anyway... a rose by any other name.....

Yep.

I was drawn to this place by the name but stayed because of the quality site and quality people here.  Name doesn't matter.  It's "B"-"T" to the veterans anyway, right?

2008-04-14 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
If you're fine with the site name then why should you care what anybody else thinks!
2008-04-14 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
What do you think the qualifications should be to be a beginner?
Are your co-workers consistant FOP in every type of triathlon and in the top percentile of everything that they do? At some point in time even they are going to be a beginner at something. If not, I'm sure there are other websites for them to join that will assist their specific needs.

I am a 2nd year beginner to not only Tri's, but to many of the other subjects that can be found on this site and I think it would be unfair to a large portion of people trying to get into this sport/lifestyle if you change the name to something that would not be so beginner friendly.
--not saying the site or people would act any different, but many people who are beginners tend to look for websites that have "newbie" or "beginner" etc. in the title and description(s).

hope that makes sense to someone other than myself.
2008-04-14 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

Its like being "sneaky fast".

Let's say you tell some people that you get some great info from beginnertriathlete.com, and they might check it out and see what its like for themselves ... or they might think that you haven't got the hang of it and they are going to smoke you .... except you are really one of the BT uber-athletes ...  get it?  hmmmm? 

They'll never know what that streak was, that blew by them ...

2008-04-14 7:28 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I call it BT because i am lazy.

Name is good. I will always be a beginner in some ways. Unless your an Oly and IM distance pro this site has something to offer you. After I finish my first Ironman I will probably work on speed which is something new to me. So yes for me I have a little tri experience but I have alot to learn. Plus having people who been around for a long time helps the newbies. Complete newbies running round asking each other and no one having a good answer does not help either.

Come here as a beginner and stay because you love it.

2008-04-14 7:37 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

NO WAY.

The name is the culture. And a beginner spirit is what makes winners, it is what drives people to continue to learn.

The mere suggestion makes me almost angry, rational or otherwise.

2008-04-14 7:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I had a EE professor tell me that when he got his BS degree he thought he had a pretty good understanding of electricity.  And when he got his Masters in EE, he realized there were still a lot of things he did not know about electricity.  And when he got his PhD in EE he concluded that he really didn't know that much about the phenonenon of electricity. 

In ways, triathlons are the same way.  We are all beginners....just at different levels.

~Mike

2008-04-14 7:51 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

How about "SexyTriathlete.com"...bet the hit count would triple overnight

2008-04-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1337912

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Big Sexy - 2008-04-14 7:51 PM

Nooo! The web filters at work would definitely catch that. I don't know how I could explain myself out of that one...
2008-04-14 8:22 PM

User image

Pro
MA
Seriously - google "performance triathlete" and see which sites are at the top 5?

2008-04-14 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1337912

User image

Expert
Big Sexy - 2008-04-14 7:51 PM

OH No! I hope your not going to be sexy figure they choose to represent them!!
2008-04-14 8:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-14 8:59 PM

Champion

Besides, who teaches the beginners if all the experienced people leave?

2008-04-14 9:11 PM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I would vote against changing it.  Because it's inclusive and welcoming to all - no matter your level.  I like the fact that people can come in a post a question (and it may be one that we've all heard a bajillion times) but because it's for BEGINNERS they'll usually get lots of really good responses.

I like the name.  I think it represents exactly what the site is about. 

2008-04-14 9:17 PM

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
How 'bout this...just like Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC, much like Your Place restaurant became YP, etc., we can always just call this place BT.com, which most of us do anyway. Those who know...know. Those who don't...if they ask, we will always tell. In otherwords, let things roll as is, and we call have a personal option of what we prefer to call the site in everyday conversation.

Edited by nxm165 2008-04-14 9:18 PM

2008-04-14 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1337963

Champion
Fairport, NY

D.K. - 2008-04-14 9:22 PM Seriously - google "performance triathlete" and see which sites are at the top 5?

You mean like "PerformanceTriathlete.com "? Smile Ron registered that at the same time as BT. Different ideas have been kicked around for a while but we always find the allure of BeginnerTriathlete to be too strong.

To address Plissken74, we're glad and grateful that you really like the site, but I don't see us ever changing the name or abandoning it.

Initially, yes, the sole focus was people new to triathlon, or more specifically people looking to improve their fitness and overall quality fo life through swimming, cycling and running. That's still our main focus but as people hung around we found that we had to grow with them.

Yesterday I was reminiscing about how it was such a big deal a few years ago when madcow did his first ironman. The thought of a BTer doing an Ironman was incredible. He achieved hero status here. It was a very big deal.

Yesterday there were almost 50 BT'ers registered for IMAZ. About 2% of the field. There was an organized effort by other BTers to have watchers on the course who phoned in reports to designated people who then posted those reports to the official race watching thread. Neither Ron nor I had anything to do with it. BT'ers did this on their own. People who identify themselves as Beginner Triathletes.

The coolest thing about that race yesterday, for me, was that some of those 2% were doing their first Ironman and some were very experienced, fast triathletes. Yet they all share the same sense of community and dedication to sharing the benefits of this lifestyle that is inherent in the name BeginnerTriathlete. And they identify themselves as BTers. I find no end of inspiration in that.

I hope to do an iron distance race next year. And if/when I do it still won't compare to crossing the finish line at my first sprint. That was a big deal for me. I know I can do an IM if I train right and I have a bit of luck. When I did that Sprint I had no idea if I could complete it. I had serious doubts even on the run course. Crossing that finish line had huge implications for me.

We want as many people as possible to feel that same thing, to experience that same moment of "I did, it. I really did it" whether it's at an Ironman or a Sprint, or even running their first mile without walking. The name BeginnerTriathlete is meant to let those people know that this is a good place to start down that road.

And after a few seasons if they decide to do some long course triathlon, or perhaps just to enjoy swimming, cycling and running and reap all the benefits of a fit lifestyle, our community will be able to celebrate that with them too.

2008-04-14 11:06 PM
in reply to: #1338223

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
marmadaddy - 2008-04-14 11:02 PM

D.K. - 2008-04-14 9:22 PM Seriously - google "performance triathlete" and see which sites are at the top 5?

You mean like "PerformanceTriathlete.com "? Smile Ron registered that at the same time as BT. Different ideas have been kicked around for a while but we always find the allure of BeginnerTriathlete to be too strong.

To address Plissken74, we're glad and grateful that you really like the site, but I don't see us ever changing the name or abandoning it.

Initially, yes, the sole focus was people new to triathlon, or more specifically people looking to improve their fitness and overall quality fo life through swimming, cycling and running. That's still our main focus but as people hung around we found that we had to grow with them.

Yesterday I was reminiscing about how it was such a big deal a few years ago when madcow did his first ironman. The thought of a BTer doing an Ironman was incredible. He achieved hero status here. It was a very big deal.

Yesterday there were almost 50 BT'ers registered for IMAZ. About 2% of the field. There was an organized effort by other BTers to have watchers on the course who phoned in reports to designated people who then posted those reports to the official race watching thread. Neither Ron nor I had anything to do with it. BT'ers did this on their own. People who identify themselves as Beginner Triathletes.

The coolest thing about that race yesterday, for me, was that some of those 2% were doing their first Ironman and some were very experienced, fast triathletes. Yet they all share the same sense of community and dedication to sharing the benefits of this lifestyle that is inherent in the name BeginnerTriathlete. And they identify themselves as BTers. I find no end of inspiration in that.

I hope to do an iron distance race next year. And if/when I do it still won't compare to crossing the finish line at my first sprint. That was a big deal for me. I know I can do an IM if I train right and I have a bit of luck. When I did that Sprint I had no idea if I could complete it. I had serious doubts even on the run course. Crossing that finish line had huge implications for me.

We want as many people as possible to feel that same thing, to experience that same moment of "I did, it. I really did it" whether it's at an Ironman or a Sprint, or even running their first mile without walking. The name BeginnerTriathlete is meant to let those people know that this is a good place to start down that road.

And after a few seasons if they decide to do some long course triathlon, or perhaps just to enjoy swimming, cycling and running and reap all the benefits of a fit lifestyle, our community will be able to celebrate that with them too.

VERY good answer, so now can you tell me (as I know it must be somewhere on this site) how BT came to be? Where is "The history of BT"? I have always wondered how this site got started. It really is an amazing community.

2008-04-14 11:24 PM

Elite
Spring, TX
The name helps foster a friendly atmosphere for both new and experienced triathletes. Other triathlon sites that are geared toward experienced triathletes have a much different tone and attitude that makes newbies shy away. They have good information, but at BT it's the atmosphere that makes it such a joy to be a member of. The name is an important part of that!
2008-04-14 11:25 PM
in reply to: #1338223

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
marmadaddy - 2008-04-14 6:02 AM

Excellent explanation and this gave me a full sense of all the things I see here.

No reason to change the name then. Fully agree.

I wish one day BT will be famous in the european community too. Maybe it is something else to discuss in another thread but I am thinking on how to brand BT in Europe... 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name? Rss Feed  

of 2