United States
Playtri Festival
50F / 10C
Total Time = 5h 52m 56s
Overall Rank = 81/139
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 for some whole grain toast and a banana. Double checked my race bag and headed off for Las Colinas. Got to the area at about 6 and found a spot in transition. Set my gear out and then answered mother nature and jogged around for only a couple minutes to warm up primarily. Put on my wetsuit and by that point it was nearly 7 and the race was about to start.
Event warmup:

No real warm up besides jogging/hopping around in my wetsuit to stay warm. No pre-swim swim, haha.
Swim
  • 38m 40s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

Course was an awesome spectator course as whoever was watching could literally walk within meters of you along the side of the water for nearly the entire length. However, the water was filthy. I had trouble seeing even my own hands let alone the feet of whoever I might be trying to draft off of. But regardless of that it was a simple course to follow, but I just didn't have my mind in the right place and stopped much too often to 'check' where I was going...and my goggles were filling up with water which even made visibility limited with my head ABOVE the water. Oh well, everything isn't supposed to go perfect during a race I guess...just adds to the challenge.
What would you do differently?:

Ask a friend in an open water training session to let me practice drafting.
Transition 1
  • 05m 28s
Comments:

Long COLD 150yd +/- run to enter transition, then another 100yd's or so to get to my rack. This was only my second time to have ever even put on my wetsuit so needless to say taking it off began to present itself as the 4th event in this triathlon...until my new hero (another competitor) apparently saw my novice method of trying to get my suit off and became my own personal wetsuit stripper..turning a long task into a much shorter one. Whoever you were THANK YOU!!! Then I checked my blood sugar (I'm a type 1 diabetic) real quick before running off with my bike.

Practice wetsuit removal on my own.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 30s
  • 54 miles
  • 17.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs were coooold and stiff for the first 10 miles or so, until the turnaround when our strong headwind became a beautifully quiet tailwind. Whether it was time or my mind I felt as though I started to loosen up at that point. Then finishing the first lap (of 2) I realized that I may have pushed a little too hard without realizing it because of the wind....but I did it again on the second lap. I definitely learned a lesson quickly as soon as I started the run about pacing yourself on the bike. Obviously a lesson I didn't learn in either of my other two triathlons, both sprints.

Perhaps I should have placed a longer triathlon than two sprints somewhere in my repertoire before jumping up to the half-iron distance.
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

My legs were quite a bit more wobbly initially than I expected so my run to the rack was...interesting. So I slipped off all my biking gear, put on my running gear, and checked my blood sugar again..still looking good. Thank goodness I wouldn't have to make myself shotgun a bunch of carbs before heading out.
Run
  • 2h 01m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

As a former Div. 1 NCAA track guy the run is typically my strong point, and with some of my 12-14 mile training runs prior to this race being at low 7min/mile pace I was definitely dissapointed when I noticed my pace dropping from a 7:28 first mile to a 9:00+ just by the second mile. At that point I quickly realized the lesson to be learned about pacing yourself on the bike to leave some energy for the run. The race then became a survival race. I would set myself goals like "ok body...just get to the turnaround then I'll let you walk for a few seconds." So after several prayers and fits of frustration I still finished the run although drastically slower than my intended goal. But I think that anyone that finishes a half-ironman can agree to saying that once you do finish..it's feels like quite an accomplishment no matter what your results were.

Probably won't wear a Fuelbelt again during a race. There were plenty of aid stations, and it just felt too heavy especially after wearing myself out on the bike.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I used the beginner half-iron training plan from BT.com and I realize now that the mileage/time it set forth was drastically too little for the bike. the longest bike session it calls for is a single 3 hour ride. The bike is an event that I think requires training far beyond the race distance in order to perform at your peak with some left over for the run.

Event comments:

Plenty of traffic control which was nice and reassuring, but many turns were not marked well enough in my opinion. However, I would definitely do the event again or at least one of the other events offered in the playtri festival

Last updated: 2007-10-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:40 | 1931 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 105/139
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless ProMotion Fluid Drive
Course: Canal with filthy water, and stairs as an exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:04:30 | 54 miles | 17.56 mile/hr
Overall: 82/139
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Lots of turns, and LOTS of gashes in concrete to watch for.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:01:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 71/139
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-14 10:58 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Playtri Half Ironman

2008-04-14 11:04 PM
in reply to: #1338220

User image

Dayton, OH
Subject: RE: Playtri Half Ironman
Congrats on finishing your first HIM. I can relate to the fourth event of wetsuit stripping. Too bad they didn't have photographers ready for that.
2008-04-15 12:37 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Fantastic race and report.  Your sub-6 was an accomplishment and is even more impressive with only 2 sprints in your arsenal. 

For what it's worth, I had a wetsuit stripper (3 of them!).  I think it was just the luck of the draw when you finished the swim.  Get that (necessary) time in the saddle and be ready for the next race!

Chris

2008-04-15 1:27 PM

User image

New user

Thanks guys!!! I'm excited to get recovered and get in the saddle till I'm sore haha.
2008-04-15 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
congrats on your race!  Your overall time is excellent!  And hey, I only did 2 sprints before my first HIM also survived...you can only improve from here!
2008-04-15 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Congratulations on your first HIM! For only having a couple sprints under your belt you did great. Good luck with the rest of your season.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Half Ironman Rss Feed