General Discussion Race Reports! » Aquarena Sprint (Texas State Sprint Triathlon) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Aquarena Sprint (Texas State Sprint Triathlon) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Marcos, Texas
United States
Seidel Productions
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 10s
Overall Rank = 180/300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Went to sleep around 9:00 or 9:30. I was very nervous for some reason. Did I forget something? Will I fall off the bike? The alarm buzzed way too early. 4:00 am. Why? Kevin reset it to give us 30 more minutes. He jumps out of bed first to shower. I slowly get up. Ate a Cliff bar and a banana. Drank water. Decided on some coffee to get moving. It was cold. I actually turned on the heat in the room to take the chill off. April in Texas. So, now I am nervous about the weather. If it is cold in the room then how is it out side? We leave the hotel around 6:00 made it to the park lot with plenty of time to get to the transition area. Until…Kevin is making sure our tires have air. We have trouble with the pump. This morning was no exception. He fights with the pump. I am freezing, nervous and must use the Porta-Potty. Let’s just say it got a little tense. He finally seems some what confident that the tires are full…not really but there was little we could do at this point. Made it to the transition area latter than planned. Set up, all the while freezing. Start time pushed back by 15 mins.
Event warmup:

Warm-up could be the tension in the parking lot! :) Walking to the transition area. Working fast to set up. Running to potty. Running around to swim area to find hubby. Running back. Jumping up and down. All fairly technical warm-up stuff. :)
Swim
  • 14m 51s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Finally moved over to the swim start. I am wearing a hoodie and my crocs (of course my race suit as well).Did I mention it was cold out? About 40, maybe 45 degrees at 7:00. I get in the water around 7:45…Since it is a spring, the water was actually warmer than the air. It will be a welcome relief to get in…but getting out is a totally different story. I missed watching Kevin start. Finally I am in. It is warm. And clear. Quite beautiful actually. I feel lucky to be one of the few people who get to see this spring (closed to swimmers except for twice a year). I feel good with my stroke, passing people. Taking it easy but as some point my arms got tired. Must have been all the shaking from the cold. I am doing fine (I thought) until about the 400 meter mark. Rounded a 180 degree turn right in to the sun. Then came the shallow part they spoke about. Shallow = swim through vegetation. I was covered in hydrilla. There was no way you could freestyle through this stuff or you would have eaten it. I was side stroking it. I almost panicked. This must have lasted for about 20 feet. The vegetation was in my hair, wrapped around my neck. You could hear others making yucky noises. Then every one came rushing in toward the exit. I got a bit claustrophobic. Very happy to be done with the swim. Should be called the Swap Thing Triathlon! The minute I left the water I was freezing! Ran/walked 150 yards to the transition area.

I was very disappointed with my swim time. I have clocked myself in the pool and know I can do 500 meters in 11:00 minutes (sometimes less). I must have really panicked. Also the run after you exit the water and prior to entering the transition area is included in your swim time. I walked most of this because my feet were frozen there were many pebbles (sensitive feet?).

What would you do differently?:

Relaxed more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Trying to keep heart rate down and not forget anything. Swim cap and goggles came off before entering T1. Put on long sleeve jersey and race number. No socks in T1 (trying to cycle without socks). Do not and probably will not attempt to put shoes on pedals and put shoes on while riding. I felt fast but time says otherwise. Didn’t forget anything.

Speed up.
Bike
  • 50m 18s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Glad I put on a long sleeve jersey. About 5 miles in I was wishing I had on socks. Oh, well. So this gets interesting. I am taking it easy for the first few miles trying to warm up but keep my heart rate in check. Passed a few people. Got in aero position. Getting comfortable. A girl two up from me won’t get to the right. Makes it difficult to pass. Decided to go for a pass on the girl just in front of me. My back wheel is at her front. She should have dropped back but instead she decides to speed up and pass me again! URGH! So I let her have it…then three girls (two above and another) were packed together and almost wrecked a few times. What part of no drafting did they not understand? Eh, no worries I passed all not too much later. It was just annoying.

About mile 5 the leaders are coming back. I am looking for my husband. Can’t look too hard because the roads are rough and the sun is bright. Must keep control of my bike above all else. Figured he passed when I wasn’t looking. Until about mile 6 at a 90 degree turn…I see a man standing on the side of the road near a volunteer. I am thinking poor guy. Then his stance, his form seems familiar. Is it? NO. YES! It is my husband! I ask if I need to stop. He says no, only if I have a tire. This did not compute. I kept going but I was wondering why he wouldn’t’ change his tube…he has one. He knows how…why isn’t he doing this? At this point it had not computed that his tire blew. I made it to the turn around point and decided I was going to stop and help. I mean he would do this for me. So I did. He then stated again that it was his tire not his tube. So I continued on. The rest of the ride felt good. I was fast and comfortable. Wondering when I will see my husband again.

Overall, I am happy with my bike time.

Not stop for my husband during a race? ;)
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Did one thing at a time. Shoes off, socks on, shoes on, helmet off, hat on, jersey off. Had trouble getting my Garmin from the bike to my wrist. I actually dropped it and it turned off…not good. It did turn back on to the correct setting, oddly. Finally, got it secure and I waddled off.

Not much. Speed up a bit...
Run
  • 28m 50s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very surprised at my run time. Good surprised. As you know, transitioning from bike to run is challenging because your legs feel like spaghetti. Not so much a problem today. Legs felt fine…brick work is helping. It was my feet that I could not feel. I was running on two ice cubes. They were numb the first 1.5 miles. About mile 2 I started to feel a prickling sensation. Mile 2.5 I could feel most of my feet but I was convinced there was a foreign object in my right shoe. Turns out it was my middle toe not yet revived.

Did not drink on the course. Drank too much on the bike. Felt sloshy in my tummy. Felt my feet as I crossed the finish line. Thought my husband would be there to cheer me across the finish line. He wasn’t. Still on the course.

Wear socks on bike if cold outside.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched. Asked race support for location of hubby. Retrieved clothing from swim start.

My husband finally came in from the bike course. Turns out the person who would bring him in could not leave the course until the last cyclist…He decided to go ahead and complete the run even though they already took his chip away. Good for him. He was finished with the run in super time. Found his bike. Then he told me what happened.

Apparently just as he decided not to pass a few people, after he had slowed from speeds in excess of 25 mph and after a down hill and before a 90 degree turn, his back tire blew. It blew so hard the chain jumped and somehow caught the fork and almost took the wheel off. The wheel did separate from the fork. He is very lucky he kept the rubber side down and did not take any one else with him. The tire has a gash about 2 inches long. Headed to J & A for new tires.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold. Not enough practice with transitions and OWS. Worried about hubby.

I am disappointed with my performance…but I have to ask myself why. This was my first race in 1 1/2 years. I set a goal to complete the race in 1:45. I met that goal with a 1:39 time. So, the swim did not go well but the run went better than expected. With practice my transition times will decrease. Why I am disappointed? I fished 8 out of 12 in my age group. I suppose the biggest question is why am I hung up on this? I need to remember that I am racing myself, no one else. I must work through these things in order to keep from burning out or becoming obsessed; in order to keep a healthy perspective. This is supposed to be fun.

Event comments:

The draw for this race is location and the swim. Proceeds support the Texas State University Triathlon team. Seidel Productions organized the race in conjunction with the University Tri Team. But most of the volunteers were college kids. Sometimes they were ‘with it’ some times they were not. I am sure this was a good experience for them. Don’t expect bells and whistles from this race. All in all it was a good race. It fit our schedule and our budget. Well, with the exception of the new tires.

Last updated: 2008-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:51 | 500 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 176/300
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: Clear spring water. Very interesting to see the underwater life. Beautiful water. Warm compared to the air temperature. Fairly straight with one 180 degree turn. One shallow spot with thick vegetation at the very end. Race info claims this spot is only 5 -10 feet long. I beg to differ. Time trial start. Enter the water by race number three seconds apart. This helped prevent major traffic jams.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:18 | 14 miles | 16.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 162/300
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. Rough roads. Some construction.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:50 | 03 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 187/300
Course: Mostly sidewalk. Some grass/trail. Course was well marked but still a bit confusing. If volunteers were not paying attention then an athlete would make a wrong turn (happened to my husband).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-15 10:55 AM

User image

Regular
Killeen, TX
Subject: Aquarena Sprint (Texas State Sprint Triathlon)
This was a short race but so much happened during the event!

Edited by The Starfish 2008-04-15 10:56 AM

2008-04-15 5:43 PM
in reply to: #1339004

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Aquarena Sprint (Texas State Sprint Triathlon)
Nicely done, especially with the attack of the swamp...that's tough to hear about Kevin, I'm sure it was frustrating for you both.  Way to hit the bike and what a great run!! Guess you can't say that you can't do sub-10's now! Nice start and prep for FL!
2008-04-15 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, Ga
Way to go and sorry to hear about Kevin.  There always seems to be something but then they would not really be very interesting race reports if everything went perfectly. 
2008-04-16 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia

I've only done 2 tris so far and after both I found myself feeling defeated for not getting better times.  I know I have to stop doing that.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one that does it. Great race Cha-Cha!

2008-04-25 9:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
Austin Texas
Good run, yes, I thought little rocks were stuck in my socks.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aquarena Sprint (Texas State Sprint Triathlon) Rss Feed