Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Faith and Food (Earth Day Sermon) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-15 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: Faith and Food (Earth Day Sermon)

There have been lots of threads on BT about nutrition, ethical and healthy eating, we've debated the organic vs local issue..  Meat vs no Meat...  It always gets pretty heated, but I always learn something in spite of the opposition's constant attempts to point out hypocracies...

Anyway, here is a a sermon from yesterday, Earth Day, that I thought some of you might appreciate or like to discuss.

Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread

Food and Faith Sunday April 13, 2008

I am going to lay all my cards on the table and tell you right off that the purpose of this sermon is to cultivate a spiritual and relational theology of food and faith. Spiritual theology of food is the effort to combine prayer as a daily practice and theological insight informed by Scripture that shapes the way we think about, purchase and eat food. Relational theology of eating is about the web of interdependent relationships with God, humanity and creation At the risk of sounding simplistic, I suggest that we begin by grounding a spiritual theology of food and faith in seven words from the prayer Jesus taught his disciples. "Give us this day our daily bread." And adhering to the tradition of the three point sermon we will focus on three of the seven words: Give us bread.

We begin by asking who is us? We know that the first people who prayed these words were the disciples. They are us. In the reading from Acts, the community broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts. They are a congregation. They are us, too. Jesus brings more people to the table. He ate with tax collectors and sinners. This suggests to me that us is always one more than me or we. Us may include the homeless person on State Street, the tenant in a low income apartment who must choose between paying the electric bill or buying food to eat. The Biblical call to hospitality to the stranger means that us is always one more than me or we.

The noun "bread" or, more generally, food– is a bundle of nutrients that, in the right quantities and combinations, are essential for life. But Jesus reminds us with the first temptation in the wilderness that, "One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4).

Jesus also says, "I am the bread of life." He is the bread that nourishes our soul more deeply than the bread on the table. We live by God’s word, and the Bread of Life, that nourishes and sustains our lives.

Let’s move this discussion about bread to bread systems, also know as food systems. Michael Pollan’s insightful book, Omnivore’s Dilemma, explores the history and underpinnings of four food systems. The dominant system is industrial agriculture. This is the way of growing, producing, transporting it to grocery stores and getting it on the shelves for consumers at the lowest possible price. Oil is the energy used to drive this bread system. Oil is used fuel tractors, make fertilizers, and for transportation. This bread system is controlled by a small number of transnational corporations.

The costs of this bread system to the environment, animals, and production laborers is well documented. I contend that there is also a spiritual cost to this bread system. Industrial agriculture has turned food, once understood as a gift from God, into a commodity to be purchased. Our relationship with food is transactional. You add vegetables, bread, honey, meat, milk and potato chips in your cart pay through them when you go through the check out line. It’s all quite efficient. But where does God fit into this system? We can track the milk in the cooler back to the cow, nourished by genetically modified seed corn, picked from a cornfield smothered with pesticides that kill everything except the corn. Ultimately the water, sunlight, and soil are traced back as gifts. And we give thanks to God. Is this what goes through your mind when you stand before the cooler to pick out a gallon of milk? I look for the lowest price! We call this free trade in a market driven economy.

If industrial agriculture is at one end of the spectrum, the system at the other end is the bread system of subsistence. Two weeks ago former members of Advent, Maite Lorente and Andrew Thoms were visiting for a few days. Andrew and Maite moved to Sitka, Alaska when Andrew was offered a job with the Sitka Conservancy Society. A group of us gathered to learn about the work of the organization and their life in Alaska. Andrew commented that many of the people where they live, catch fish, hunt deer, dig for clams and grow a limited variety of garden produce. This is a bread system of subsistence. Few, if any of us, fall into this system. But if you have ever gardened and harvest vegetables, or caught a fish, or shot game, you know that it is a different experience than picking it up at the grocery store.

I remember fishing with Jake Schneider late one afternoon when we were in the Boundary Waters last summer. Jake is a very good fisherman and he landed a very big large mouth bass. We were both delighted. I will never forget Jake’s words, "Wait until I tell my Dad hears about this!" Jake did not put up a fight when I offered to fillet the fish back at the campsite. While we chatted I was struck by the awareness that this fish gave up its life to nourish our hunger. The cooked fillets were delicious and we were grateful to Jake for sharing his catch with us, and grateful to God for the fish and the habitat that nourished its life.

Although not necessarily true, the subsistence bread system is more closely linked to God as the giver. I am not suggesting that we quit buying groceries at the store and go out and forage for food. At the same time, we will make choices based upon more reasons than buying food at the lowest possible cost.. We will do our homework and seek more information than the nutritional value and ingredients on the package. How far has this food been transported, where was it grown or raised, what chemicals were applied to the produce or what was injected into animal, what was the animal fed? We will also take advantage of locally grown food and grass fed livestock, consider becoming a member of a community supported agriculture and planting a garden. We might think of these actions as spiritual disciplines.

I like to shop at the westside farmer’s market on Saturday mornings. I like buying my yogurt from the people whose picture are on the container, tomatoes from the grower, milk from the dairy farmer. I bump into more of you at the farmer’s market than anywhere else I go, and I enjoy seeing you in this context. You aren’t quite as rigid and uptight as you are on Sunday mornings. The food Nan and I purchase at the market brings greater delight to our fellowship when we share a meal together. Our gratitude to God, the giver is magnified.

We find Biblical precedence to the spirituality of eating in the book of Daniel. As a young man, Daniel and his friends, are taken captive by Nebuchadnezzer of Babylon. They are enrolled in a strict regimen of learning, in preparation for becoming a member of King Nebuchadnezzer’s court.

He is also given a daily ration of food and wine by the king, but this he rejects, worried that the diet will defile him. He asks his guard to test him and the others by giving them vegetables to eat and water to drink instead of receiving the king’s rations, then so be it, the guards can do with him as they will. At the end of this time, true to his faith and his word, Daniel presents himself fatter and stronger than the rest, and as a result throughout his three years of training, continues to receive vegetables in place of the royal rations and wine.

This isn’t a story about eating vegetables. It isn’t a dietary lesson. No, it is a lesson in faith. Notice what Daniel doesn’t do. He doesn’t reject the lessons and learning the king has prepared form him. He even learns the Chaldean language. For whatever reason, these things are not the things he believes risk defiling him and corrupting his trust and reliance on the God of Israel. Instead, it is the food. Daniel’s faithfulness to God and reliance on God is grounded in what he firmly requests not to eat.

If we were to take Daniel’s actions as a model for our time, it wouldn’t be the particulars of his diet that we would emulate, but rather his unwillingness to simply eat what the regime set before him. We will choose to purchase and eat food in ways that honor God as the giver, fosters relationships with other people, nonhuman life, soil and creation. And let us remember to say our prayer, the seven words Jesus teaches, "Give us this day our daily bread.

2008-04-15 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1339040

Pro
Subject: RE: Faith and Food (Earth Day Sermon)

This is very timely in view of the food crisis that is going on worldwide. Prices are rising, in part due to the massive subsidies that the rich countries has given to their agriculters (thus killing agriculture in poorer countries who are unable to compete), high oil prices and the fact that many food crops have been converted to crops destined for ethanol production (20% - 30% of American corn is destined for conversion to biofuel. How perverse is that?).

Anyhow, the upshot of all of this is that people are demonstrating around the world because they are having trouble feeding themselves. How's your lunch taste?

2008-04-15 11:31 AM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Great post Hollis, thanks!

The reference to John 6 and the Bread of Life discourse jumped out at me. This raises some interesting questions about our relationship to the earth, and our responsibility toward it's stewardship.

In the Mass, during the liturgy of the Eucharist while preparing the bread and wine for consecration, the priest prays:

Priest: Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation. Through your goodness we have this bread of offer, which earth has given and human hands have made. It will become for us the bread of life. Blessed be God forever.

Priest: Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation. Through your goodness we have this wine of offer, fruit of the vine and work of human hands. It will become our spiritual drink. Blessed be God forever.

Of course, I believe that Jesus is truly present in the bread and wine of the Eucharist.  So the food, the very stuff of the earth, becomes for me the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ. By eating and drinking it, I am nourished both physically and spiritually.

So if Jesus chose to continue to be physically present to us through the transubstantiation of food, bread and wine, then I had better be sure to take care of those gifts, and the earth that helps produce them.

Edited by dontracy 2008-04-15 11:52 AM
2008-04-15 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
Thank you for posting this Possum! A wonderful reminder of the provision of our Creator, and how we should be better stewards of this gift.
2008-04-15 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1339092

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Opus - 2008-04-15 9:29 AM

This is very timely in view of the food crisis that is going on worldwide. Prices are rising, in part due to the massive subsidies that the rich countries has given to their agriculters (thus killing agriculture in poorer countries who are unable to compete), high oil prices and the fact that many food crops have been converted to crops destined for ethanol production (20% - 30% of American corn is destined for conversion to biofuel. How perverse is that?).

Anyhow, the upshot of all of this is that people are demonstrating around the world because they are having trouble feeding themselves. How's your lunch taste?

Did we watch the same Bill Moyer's program?

I was thinking about this as I made my brunch this morning. I have some leftover veggies that were bought for a veggie and dip spread for a party we had last week. I cut them up and sauteed them in a little butter, and then poured some eggs over them and made a frittata. Unfortnately, I had to use store-bought eggs as the local egg guy's hens aren't laying much right now.

First, I was sad that I couldn't use eggs from local hens. But then I was sad that that option is only limited to so few people, and that most people get the eggs they can afford. If they can afford them. I know I'm blessed.

Second, I was sad that I'd let many of the veggies go bad before using or freezing them, and had to throw them away. The more I think about the hungry people around the world, the more I think it is truly a sin to let food go to waste.

Then, I was happy to see so many things in my garden sprouting.

Possum, is it possible for me to forward that sermon on to a select group of friends who may like to see it?  Is there a link to it anywhere? 

Edited by madkat 2008-04-15 2:36 PM
2008-04-15 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1339719

Pro
madkat - 2008-04-15 3:30 PM
Opus - 2008-04-15 9:29 AM

Did we watch the same Bill Moyer's program?

Nope, an in-depth report in this morning's local paper.

2008-04-15 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

yes, madkat, and I guess I should have provided more background on the writer/pastor: His name is Jeff Wild, and he is a Lutheran, ELCA. My congregation is not Lutheran, but we share the same building (2 meeting rooms or worship halls, youth programs are joint, and often we are together and the pastors take turns. Kinda neat)

The link is here, along with an audio link, but it gets superseded each week by the new sermon, so print out! No archives available yet...

the link is here:

http://madisonchristiancommunity.org/

Since both churches were together that day, you can get to the written version by either the Hope or Advent Link, same for audio.

Edited by possum 2008-04-15 2:46 PM
2008-04-15 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

re: transubstantiation. For me/us (meaning the church from which this came)  the bread we eat during communion is a metaphor, but I appreciate the connection you make, don.

I think that the metaphor is especially powerful as metaphor, because it can then extend to everything I eat (not just the special wafer)-- it is all a part of Creation, and as the sermon highlights, I want the most direct, humane path possible for that gift of Creation to reach me.  I don't want it tainted by a single injustice, or sin against another person or the earth itself. So it is as much about stewardship of the source as it is about making deliberate, God inspired choices to lead to what I ultimately eat, or, take inside myself to be a part of myself, whether actually Jesus or not.

Additionally, while Communion is a hugely important sacrament for me as we do it in church, meals with friends and family are as important in a sacramental kind of way IF I make good choices leading up to the meal, and if we take the time before the meal to think of God and share gratitudes for God's blessings and for the labor of all who made the meal possible right back to the original framers and laborers.

I really responded to this part:

If we were to take Daniel’s actions as a model for our time, it wouldn’t be the particulars of his diet that we would emulate, but rather his unwillingness to simply eat what the regime set before him. We will choose to purchase and eat food in ways that honor God as the giver, fosters relationships with other people, nonhuman life, soil and creation.

It reminds me of the way I can be a bit smug or judgmental in how I think of others' habits (others being the King's, regime's, mainstream corporate America..)  I do not need to be so- I need to simply do as Daniel did, and take care of my own choices if I believe they are not  compatible with purity and righteousness towards God. I do not need to pass judgment or impose my beliefs, I simply need to take care of my own action.  A little reminder to me when I get high horsey and excessively evangelistic about eating whole foods and local foods as opposed to the Regime's food, which, more often than not, isn't food to me anymore, but rather nutrition crammed into something edible...

This is how I feel at the moment (snacking on a piece of locally made bread, butter made in WI from a farmer, and a tall glass of Perrier with lime, both shipped from who knows where  

2008-04-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: #1339837

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
possum - but I appreciate the connection you make

Thanks.

And I agree with you that the concern ought to spread out to concern for the totality of the gift of creation.

Edited by dontracy 2008-04-15 4:08 PM
2008-04-15 5:29 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
possum - 2008-04-15 9:08 AM

Although not necessarily true, the subsistence bread system is more closely linked to God as the giver.

There is a rather large movement within the sustainable food movement that is very rooted in this idea that homesteading, small-scale farming, food independence is a spiritual/Christian act. It is called the Christian Agrarianism.

I certainly think it's pretty cool, even though I am not as interested in the Christian portion of Christian Agrarianism. I definitely feel more grateful for my food when I grew or hunted it and the only difference between myself and a Christian Agrarian is who/what we're grateful to!

ETA: Thanks for posting this, Hollis! Very cool stuff in there!

Edited by kimj81 2008-04-15 5:30 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Faith and Food (Earth Day Sermon) Rss Feed