Playtri Festival
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 32m 3s
Overall Rank = 114/139
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

This report will probably be long, so you are warned!

Friday morning, 4:15am...Stacie (luv2ride) and I left her house in Colorado to drive to Texas. Bikes were on top of the car and they looked so pretty :) It was snowy in CO, and all the way through New Mexico. Stopped in Raton, NM for gas and didn't realize that was also our exit to head east through NM, so we went south again on 25 for a few miles, made an illegal turn through the median, and went on the right route. Then onto TX. It's windy in TX. And you'll hear me say that many times. We were on a 2 way road with a 40 mph crosswind. We were fairly stressed about the bikes on the roof, so we pulled over and rearranged the car to get the (important) bikes in. We left Stacie's old bike on the roof as there wasn't room for it in the car, and she was giving it to her sister in TX. On that road, when a semi came toward us, we'd get a ridiculous wind that pushed the car! A little scary. But our bikes were now safe. Also the night before we left, we had heard about someone driving on I-70 through CO to IMAZ, who had their bike blown off their car, so we were nervous!

Every small town in TX has a Sonic, Pizza Hut and Dairy Queen. Interesting.

After 13 hours, we finally arrived at Stacie's sister's house. Stacie has a very nice family :) And her sister is an amazing cook. She bent over backwards to make sure we had the right foods to eat before the race.

Went to the practice swim and got to see the CO contingent. Funny that we were all there at the same time. Even got to see someone in my tri club who I didn't know would be there. We swam, biked and ran a little. It was windy. I was riding sbreaux's Hed Jet wheels and got pushed a bit.

Went back to Stacie's sister's house, ate dinner, went to bed. Got up at some crazy early hour. There was no wind. Yet. Went to the race. It was cold. As soon as we arrived in transition, it was windy again. I probably would have changed Scott's wheels to my regular wheels if I had time, but I didn't. I was blown off my bike in Boulder about 3 weeks ago, so I have an abnormal fear of wind these days.

Got my area ready, got to meet Jill (texmom), chatted with Stacie, Ovetta and Kristen (vertical_listing) who was the loudest spectator on the course!
Event warmup:

Not much. A little of Mark's dynamic stretching.
Swim
  • 43m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think the swim was short. But hey, I'll take it. :)

I got elbowed in the head by a guy. I hate starting before the men...the swarm! Swim was mostly fine, just slow. I don't know why I suck in OWS.
What would you do differently?:

More drafting, more OWS practice. Of course, it's April and CO water is pretty chilly right now.
Transition 1
  • 05m 24s
Comments:

Super long-azz run from the water to the transition area. Finally got to my stuff and was shaking it was so cold! Could NOT get the darned arm warmers on with my arms being wet. Finally got going after a LONG transition. I even got to talk to Stacie's family and Kristen while I struggled to get my arm warmers on.

Practice transitions more.
Bike
  • 3h 29m 44s
  • 54.2 miles
  • 15.51 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I had issues. It is windy in Texas. At one point, I felt like my back wheel was stopping all by itself...it did. Was able to unclip quickly without tipping over. My tube that was strapped into the Xstrap came out and lodged itself in between my rear brakes and tire. Shredded the tube. Fixed that and moved on. I used Scott's wheels which were great especially in the headwind. Not so good in the crosswind, but I was able to deal with it and not get blown over. Then something started rattling on my bike and got very loud. I was worried it was the wheels so I stopped to check and it was my CO2 cartridge sprayer hitting my seat post (not where it was supposed to be!). I thought I fixed it, but soon thereafter, the entire Xnut, CO2 cartridge and sprayer fell off the bike. No explosion at least. Also lost a Gatorade bottle off the back of the bike.

All that was on the first lap! And my problems continued. I hit a bump at mile 20-25, and my seat tilted up. I pushed on it MANY times and it would not flatten out. I rode my bike for about 30 miles with my seat tilted up at about 25 degrees! Nope, I'm not kidding.

Otherwise, I was disappointed with my bike split but I'll say it's windy in Texas and leave it at that. Plus having to get off my bike twice.

DON'T DO ANYTHING NEW ON RACE DAY. This includes new equipment. Idiot. I installed an Xlab Flatwing the day before the race, and my bike was brand spanking new. I had ridden it all of 5 minutes before the race.
Transition 2
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

I couldn't rack my bike by the seat since it was now tilted. Had to move it around and rack by the brakes.

Move my azz a whole lot faster.
Run
  • 2h 09m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I was HAPPY with my run. My runs for HIMs have been horrible. My goal was sub 2:10 for the run and I did it. By 5 seconds.

Having the aid stations every mile was great. I walked a little of each...just enough to get down 3 sips of Accelerade and started running again. Gels at mile 3, 7, and 10. Accelerade at every aid station that I didn't have a gel.

Joked around with Ryan on the run course. Good times. He looked like sh*t. :) But still darned fast.

It's darn windy in Texas. Headwind on the way out x 2.

TMI alert: don't say you weren't warned. As I started running out of transition, I started peeing. Absolutely could not control it. No point in stopping at the port-a-john, I'm already peeing. BUT, I peed for a 1/2 MILE. I swear! Through transition, between the buildings, down O'Connor, across the street and part of the way to the first aid station! I just kept going and going. Must have had a liter or so in there. Good thing for the wind, I dried quickly. Except my socks. I had to run 13 miles with wet pee socks. Ick.

Nothing, though I was supposed to increase my speed every 3 miles and I should have done that.
Post race
Warm down:

Finish with a smile. 6:32 is 22 minutes off my best HIM time. :) Hung out with Jill, Kristen and the CO crew - Stacie, Drew, Ryan, and Ovetta. Stacie and I packed up some stuff and decided to watch the awards for fun. Turns out Stacie won her AG, and I was 3rd in mine. Got a plaque and a case of Accelerade. :) Went to the parking garage and got naked to change my nasty clothes.

Tune up race for IMCdA. Good stuff. Glad to get it done!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

BIKE issues, WIND, WIND, WIND, and mental training

Event comments:

Good race. Rough roads. The volunteers were very sweet.

Last updated: 2007-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:35 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/139
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Out and back. But you could also cut the buoys short by swimming the wall.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:29:44 | 54.2 miles | 15.51 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Concrete roads through corporate centers, and other places that I don't remember. It was hillier than I expected it to be. The hills were short though. Kind of out and back, northwest of the transition and back, then south of the transition and back, so we got to see spectators a lot. The part with the choice of the Stacie-termed "bike swallowing pothole" or the gravel was pretty crazy!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:09:55 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and windy. Out and back x 2. Aid station every mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-04-15 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: Playtri Half Ironman

2008-04-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1339257

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Playtri Half Ironman

What a trip, the journey there, the adventures on the bike - (nothing new on race day comes to mind ) and then the run.

Shaving 22 minutes is huge.... 

2008-04-15 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Hey, you told me I looked good when I saw you on the run, not that I looked like sh*t!! I felt like sh*t though so at least I was consistent. Anyway, big congratulations to you for the whole day! You looked really good and comfortable on the run, like you had everything perfectly under control, knew exactly what you wanted to do, and were doing it. Good for you. You put in some big workouts around a crazy schedule and it paid off.
2008-04-15 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Holy Cow girl...talk about bike issues.  I'm amazed.  You did great out there.  It was a TOUGH day.  I hate the fin wind.  Got home 5 hours south and finally got past it.

Have fun in California and good luck on your presentation.

Congrats on the PR.

2008-04-15 12:54 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great race Cathy!  You'll be able to fix the bike mechanical issues before CdA and hopefully you'll be blessed with less wind as well.  We now you can certainly handle peeing on the course, so no excuse for slowing down! 

Also glad you took good care of the important bikes on the way out there! 

2008-04-15 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Words can describe how much of a blast I had hanging out with you this weekend. I'm so happy that after all that time we spent together, you don't hate me! With as much fun as we had this weekend, imagine how IMCDA will be!!!

Great job in the race fighting through the bike issues. Get them all figured out and you'll be loving your bike AND loving the CDA course! CDA, here we come!

2008-04-15 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Congrats on the PR and podium!  This was supposed to be a tune-up race so I think you got all the dramas out of the way like you were supposed to.
2008-04-15 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Great report, Pisser. Sorry. That is the last time that I will call you that!

Congratulations on a HUGE PR. Part of me wanted to do that race... but it is in Texas and Texas does not like Dick Dime.

You are going to PR all your races this year... I know it!
2008-04-15 1:54 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
You raced very well.  You had your head in the game and stayed calm.  That will be huge in IM. With all the problems you had on the bike, you will be right where you need to be come IM time.  Congrats on such a great race.  You really did awesome!  Really!
2008-04-15 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Cathy, I am still laughing after reading your race report! Yes, having a DQ, pizza hut and sonic is a requirement for small Texas towns. I have probably driven that exact route a minimum of 150 times. We do it at least twice a year and I have been going to Colorado several times a year since I was born! I should have given you more of a heads up on where to stop and eat and where NOT to stop and eat. We know all the stops! I really hope that one of these times we can meet up in Vail and do some biking. Right now we are about to start a major remodel on my parents house up there and I am in charge. I will probably be up there a couple of times this summer. Anyhow, so great to meet you and you did awesome on your race. With all those bike issues including the horrendous winds and you still managed a speedy run pace. I am impressed! Your training is paying off and I am so excited to watch you at IMCdA. I still want to come up and watch, but I am so afraid that I might be tempted to sign up for IMCdA 2009!
2008-04-15 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Cathy,

What's with the peeing?

Girl, with as many bike issues you had and turning in a time like you did! Congrats! You rock! Yes I thought it was brave of you to try out a new bike on race day! Yes I thought it was brave to try out new wheels. But there's a fine line between brave and stupid and well, let's just say you're brave!

I am so glad you were there. You and Stacie are my true blue BTer gals. CDA here we come!

2008-04-15 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1339721

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Hey .. it's windy in texas in the spring..

glad you were able to make it through all the bike issue's,,

great race

2008-04-15 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
Heck of a race there, lady!  Let's see...elbowed in the head during a swim start, bike issues in a race, peeing yourself...yep, you're ready for an IM!
2008-04-15 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on an awesome race Cathy!! You totally kicked butt with the wind, and bike issues!  Peeing your pants is good...   It gets you plaques!!
2008-04-15 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Wow, you did have some bike issues.  Just glad a flat wasn't involved.

Great race considering, podium girl.

2008-04-15 8:17 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
nice report...sounds like you worked through a lot of issues.  Great job on getting a PR and finishing 3rd in your AG!

2008-04-15 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1340595

User image

Master
Colorado

I can't believe all the issues you had!!!!  Oh my hell as I was reading I couldn't believe it was one thing after another!  Hilarious for me to read, probably not so hilarious for you to deal with. 

Oh, the peeing.  I don't know how I feel about that.  Funny, but not so much.  

You rock!  Way to podium!!!

2008-04-15 9:59 PM

User image

LOVED your race report!!! Especially the peeing part....I'd take that any day over not being able to control the other end So proud of you for your podium finish! I knew you'd do well, you've been training so hard! Nice job and with a cantakerous bike even! Post pics soon!
2008-04-15 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1340595

User image

Expert
WA

day-amn girl!  you are so awesome!  i can't believe you took 3rd after so many bike issues.  i CANNOT blieve you biked with the nose of your saddle up that high for so long!  ouch!!!!  and i was dying laughing about the pee socks.  yum.

great RR, great PR, and great job.  you rock. 

2008-04-16 12:11 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Excellent race, and I would apologize for the wind, but I had no control over it.  It has been a freakin' wind tunnel every race I do...we just factor it into slower bike splits down here.  heh  I guess it is good training for IMAZ for me, but I would just like ONE windless race day!

YES, that was my f'in huge Fastbreak candy bar you saw on the ground...I saw my brothers' Snickers on the ground around mile 22 and instinctively checked my jersey pocket and it was there.  I had a little laugh to myself because his was gone and mine was safe and sound.  Karma is a beyotch!  I don't know where I dropped it, but I did.  I did see yours, or someones, rear hydration system along the way and the inflator tube, too...way to overcome everything and finish strong.

You had a great day, and you are going to rock IMCdA!

Chris

2008-04-16 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Great job on your race! I didn't get to meet the CO BT group so I was trying to spot people from their avatars. It wasn't working too well. Despite a few problems you PRed and finished with a smile!

Z
2008-04-16 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Great race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2008-04-16 8:05 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

WOW!!! What a RACE!!! It sounded freakin' hilarious but probably not so much while you were actually out there --- but like others have said, it's great IM training!

CONGRATULATIONS on a GREAT race and an AMAZING PR!!!

2008-04-16 10:03 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Every small town in TX has a Sonic, Pizza Hut and Dairy Queen. Interesting.

Dang skippy they do!  And yes it's windy.  I lived there for three years.  Please tell me the course was not on chipseal?

I think you did FABULOUS despite the wind and gear issues!  I could not even imagine riding my bike with the saddle tilted up at 25 degrees...for even a minute.

Oh, and I can't imagine peeing for a half mile either!

GREAT race and tuneup for CDA!

2008-04-16 10:44 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
great race!  and great PR!  this speaks volumes to your IM prep.  ...and you'll have the bike issues worked out by then
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Half Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2