General Discussion Race Reports! » The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pacific Grove, California
United States
Tri California
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 42m 24s
Overall Rank = 810/990
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 43/67
Pre-race routine:

Got up on time, was well prepared from the night before, and took off from the hotel in the dark. Transition bag was rather heavy and my hotel was on a hill. I also had removed my light to save weight on my bike. Was a bit precarious coming down the hill in the dark, with my bag throwing me off balance, especially with deer in the road by the golf course.
Was in the transition area by 7:12. I refused to get here any earlier since my start time was n't until 9:15 (did notice a lot of late arrivals after 7:15 close time for the thransition area, do I dare break a rule and come late next time and get some rest?)
Event warmup:

Found Deridre after setting up. She had been there since 5:30 with her TNT mentees. Crazy. After saying hello, I ate my bananw and bagel and cream cheese. Drank some more water and then went for a little jog to warm up. Did wonderful full body stretch after which really helped with my jitters. Did not dare have caffein before the race. I would have been too strung out.
Swim
  • 36m 13s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

To stay away from the slap happy retards I stayed to the outside which meant I had to kelp crawl more than if I stayed with the pack. Probably lost a fair amount of time staying wide and pulling myself through kelp, but it was better than getting stuck behind someone doing the breast stroke.
What would you do differently?:

I think I am going to try to be more aggressive and fight it out in the front of my wave instead of hanging back. I passed a lot of people that seemed to be weaving around the course, wasted energy getting around them.
Transition 1
  • 06m 13s
Comments:

I drank way too much fluid prior to the race and had to pee during T1 again. I get worried I'll be dehydrated, refuse to pee in wet suit, and lose time on T1. Last I had an 8 min T1 for same reason.
What would you do differently?:

Drink less before race and make up for it on bike.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2006-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:13 | 1500 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/67
Overall: 495/990
Performance: Bad
Suit: TNT freebie
Course: Course was beautiful as usual, other swimmers not so pretty. I got pretty banged up, getting hit in the face, back of the head, ribs, you name it.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 24.85 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Overall: 0/990
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Overall: 0/990
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-04-15 5:24 PM

User image

Napa
Subject: The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance Rss Feed