Athens YMCA
30F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 12s
Overall Rank = 23/85
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/12?
Pre-race routine:

The day before I got to Athens and met Brittany. We were sharing a room the night before the race. We drove the bike course, and then went to the dinner. There, we saw Gina and Clint. At the end of the dinner, I saw William come in, but we were leaving. The next morning Brittany and I got to transition pretty early. It was not even 30 degrees. She helped me air up my front tire. We waited for transition to open and I found a spot and set up everything. I then walked around...ate a granola bar...drank some water and Diet Coke...went to the bathroom about 20 times...
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up - yes a big mistake - it was so cold...I guess that is my pathetic excuse.
Swim
  • 06m 57s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Let's see, I passed one person...one person passed me...other than that it was not too bad or congested during my portion.
What would you do differently?:

More swim training!
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

I'm sure all race reports about this event talk about how cold it was. Yes, it was cold. Oh, and I saw a totally naked guy drying off. He really didn't care to hide it. Someone yelled - "put on some f'in clothes". I guess I can understand he wanted to totally change and be dry, but come on...you didn't see me pulling that crap. I put on over my tri suit three layers on top...some running pants over my bottoms...helmet, gloves - then off I went.
Bike
  • 52m 20s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 15.82 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was about 1/2 chipseal and 1/2 non chipseal. Regardless I was pretty slow.

Because of personal issues, you can see that I barely had any time on bike prior to the event. So...I would find time to get more bike training. Oh, probably not go through a divorce either... (just kidding).

Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Once again - it was cold - I could barely bend my fingers.
Run
  • 27m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

This run absolutely sucked. My shoe came untied twice...the second time my whole shoe was falling off my foot before I even noticed. I had to COMPLETELY stop both times to tie the shoe...the second time to put the shoe back on my foot! Um...it was still very cold. I could not feel my hands or my feet. My vision was also very blurry.

Tie my shoes tighter. I think this was due to very cold fingers. I looked at my garmin at one point - knew I wasn't even close to finishing the run segment and it hit past the 26 minute mark, and I was just ticked off...not a good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Brittany was actually there at the finish cheering people in, and we talked. I walked around - got my potato...walked around and met some BTers. I got to meet Mike, Aaron...someone else and I'm sorry I can't remember the name now....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Also, my mental state was off...I found myself at the strangest times wanting to just burst into tears. I think that was the reason I kept walking around after the event, and not really stopping too long at any point.

Event comments:

I was VERY, VERY shocked to see I got 3rd place in my AG. Considering how slow I was on the bike, and the TERRIBLE run...I was hoping at best I just didn't place last. I can't remember if there were 12 people in my AG or not...I thought I counted at the event on those results, and I really can't tell on the online searchable results. The number 12 sticks out for some reason...I'll change it later if needed.

Like I said, I was glad I did decide to go. It was nice to finally meet people in person.

This was the first triathlon of the season for me...and the first triathlon after the start of the big D. It was good for me to get out there and do it, even though I felt soooo unprepared.

It was good to meet Brittany...see Clint and Gina at the dinner...and see the other club members. Chauncy won it...and I was glad for him - he is a good kid, and a very talented athlete...and very humble. Speaking to him you would never guess he was as good as he was.

I also realized even though I felt I sucked and was unprepared, I was not ready to give up triathlons, even though I was now a single mom of three young kids. I just enjoy it too much. So...I will make the time to do as much training as possible, and enjoy the handful of events I can do.

I enjoyed this race...and probably will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:57 | 328 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12?
Overall: 0/85
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 25m pool - up and back for 300m
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:52:20 | 13.8 miles | 15.82 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course was exactly as I expected.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:27:18 | 03.11 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-16 4:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: Athens YMCA Triathlon

2008-04-16 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1341097

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Athens YMCA Triathlon

Wow you placed in your AG, that is really good considering the conditions out there that day.  I like the diet coke as the pre-race drink,, I"m a dt mnt dew person myself but still a good choice..

Dont' be so hard on yourself that was a tough race

2008-04-18 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Better late than never, Bonny. 

Man, that brings back some cold, cold memories!  Stay consistent, find good balance in life, and remember that we do this because it's FUN!

Congrats on bringing home the trophy!

2008-04-18 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job out there!!! I think you did awesome and that's a very good run time for having to stop twice and tie your shoes! Congratulations on the hardware

Now, you need to get yourself some race laces that you don't have to tie. Saves time in T2, plus you never have to worry about them coming untied.
2008-04-20 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Way to push through some very tough conditions. You did great!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athens YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed