General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Korea! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-16 7:51 AM

User image

New user

Osan, AB Korea
Subject: Hello from Korea!

I am enlisted in the U.S. Air Force stationed in Korea.  I am new to the sport of triathlons and am looking for more people to train with in my area as well as making contacts for anywhere that my life or career might take me. 

A little about me, I'm a big guy to do the things that I do.  I'm 5'9" and 210 (and dropping!! Laughing).  I try to remain very active.  I am a physical training leader (PTL) and unit fitness program manager (UFPM) for my unit.  I am a third degree blackbelt in Korean Hapkido and I still regularlly practice as well as teach here on the Korean peninsula as well as abroad.  I have been running since high school, so my mechanics are pretty good, even though I gained some weight and lost some speed.  I also coach the Osan High School swim team. 

My main concern is getting back on a bike.  I've heard through some more experienced triathletes that you can gain quite a bit of time on the bike if you are experienced, so I'm going to focus on that the most.  Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help anyone out, let me know!  I hope to hear from some great people soon!

-Tim

2008-04-16 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1341277

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Hello from Korea!

Tim:

1st off - thank you for your service! 

2nd - welcome to BT.  You will find others with a similar story here.  BT is a great place to learn and to stay motivated.  Get familar with the logs, videos and articles posted here. 

Welcome and best wishes!   

2008-04-16 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Tim,

Great to see another fellow martial artist on board Smile

WOW being in Korea and doing a Korean MA - that's pretty cool.

I've been training in taekwondo (WTF) for almost 17 years now and have my 4th degree black belt. I owned my own school for well over a decade and still teach the odd class.

I train 2-3 times a week in taekwondo and am also new to tri. In fact I officially begin my training on Monday doing one of BT's programs.

I'm most concerned about the swim as I never learned to swim and only had my first lesson last week!

I'm sure you will be fine on bike - getting back on it surely is just like..you know...riding a bike Smile

All the best with your training.

2008-04-16 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Hello Tim,

It’s great that you serve in the Armed Forces. I served in the US Army and two tours at the DMZ in Korea along with 4 Team Sprit exercises.

I was not into Triathlons while I was in Korea but I ran and swam all the time. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
2008-04-16 8:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community

Hey Tim,

I'm up at Yongsan. I teach at the middle school and also coach the SAHS baseball team. In fact, we'll be down at Humphreys this weekend to play Osan and the Gu.

There's a group of triathletes up here (I'm not a member) called Seoul Synergy, and you might want to get in touch with them (headed by Michael Wright).  You can check out their website at www.seoulsynergy.com

2008-04-16 10:01 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Welcome Tim, Great sport to get into, lots of great training and tri advice here. The forum search at the top will open up any topic you may have to refrence.

I was stationed at Osan, I studied Tung Soo Do,Do Hop Sol, Hapkido and Tri's are similiar in dedication and physical exertion. I trained with the locals for numerous brutal 8 hour sessions at full force. for the record I dont miss that market smell of sontong!

Best of luck to you!

2008-04-17 10:34 PM

Expert
Fort Bragg
Welcome to BT. I hope you're having fun in Korea. I imagine you're pretty far south. I had a short visit to Camp Casey and have no desire to go back up there. Maybe the South though. At least Seoul.
2008-04-17 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1346277

User image

Veteran
Hi Tim, Welcome to ASIA!! Triathlon + Martial Arts, no better combo! I'm in heaven with Muay Thai fights almost every night on TV, its so much its starting to get boring!!

I did IMKorea last year, what an amazing country!

Have fun, train hard, and watch out for the heat man, its insane!

Vinnie

2008-04-21 10:47 AM

User image

New user

Osan, AB Korea

Thanks for the love all!  I'm training now for an Tri (Sprint) here on Osan in a couple of months, I went out and swam 2k meters / biked 20k and ran 5k, so my fears of being able to complete it are gone (due to a rehabing strained knee), now I feel the need, the need, for SPEED!!  Haha, anyway, thanks again and have fun with the training!

2008-04-25 8:54 PM

New user

auab

Tim, I don't know about the AFB you are on but the AFB I am on rigth now was selling MTBs pretty dang cheap or at least I thought. Check with the BX and see if they have any. I grabbed mine and ride anywhere I need to go ( usually work ) instead of taking the bus or grabbing one of the vans.

Give it a shot, the best way to improve you mechanics is to practice.

2008-04-25 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Welcome! I spent a little time in Korea. Camp Eagle, The Hump, and Casey. While there I ran all the time.....and actually had some of my fastest run times ever. (man.. I wish I could run like that now.. lol). The only time I spent in a pool was drown proofing or walking back from clubs during monsoon season! lol. I really couldn't imagine riding a bike, any place I ever visited there. Maybe around Oson, it is better. Good luck to you... I really wish I was focused on training while I was there.. .. It may have slowed some of the drinking that year.

Go get some Ojinga Bokeum, for me.... mmmmm..

Kenny

2008-05-18 3:52 AM

User image

New user

Osan, AB Korea

Greetings!

This past weekend I competed in a quick 20k bike race around the base called the "Tour de Osan".  It was my first bike race with my bike and it was good to get a taste cycling competition with my triathlon slightly less than a month away.  Anyway, to the point of my story, I wasn't as pleased as I would like to be with my bike time.  I had a little difficulty with some hills and I want to become stronger on the hills as well as faster period.  Should I start hill work in combination with some interval training to get my speed up?  Suggestions, threads or articles to read?  Thanks for you help!

-Tim

2008-05-18 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
welcome and good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Korea! Rss Feed