Playtri
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = mixed relay
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got everything loaded up the night before, so all we had to do was eat, get dressed and head out the door.

I was doing the swim and bike legs of the race and Raegan was doing the run leg.

Event warmup:

After setting up transition, Raegan and I hung out with Jill and Doug to wait for our turn to go. Brrrrrr!!!! It was chilly just standing around and waiting! We saw one guy late for his IM wave run down, get a cap, and jump in with just his underwear on. Now that had to have been cold!

I did start to have some seconds thoughts about doing the race, but Raegan said that was unlike me so i snapped out of it. Instead I started thinking about how the water would actually be warmer than the air, and that helped.
Swim
  • 40m 4s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

What a aweful swim pace! I was having to start in the last wave with the 40+ men, since I was part of a relay. That meansi was the only female in that wave! I was a little nervous about getting clobbered or run over by men twice my size. I did tell the ones around me to remember that there is a lady in the mix, but Im not sure if that made any difference! :) i decided to make sure i didn't get caught up in the middle of a bunch of guys, so I pretty much kept my distance by staying behind them. This factored into my slow swim time. I would look back every now and then to make sure I wasn't about to get swallowed up. The aspects of my swimming that went really well were swimming straight and sighting. Last year I swam wide. This year I was right on. :)

Also, my goggles and the waves smacking me in the face didn't help my time. I had to readjust my goggles about 3 times because they kept leaking. i finally got that fixed and then had to deal with the waves in my face after the turn around. I tried to adjust my breathing so that I would lift my head above the wave to breath. Before doing that, I got lots of water up my nose.

The best part of the swim was that I had my own private lifeguard! Raegan was following along my entire swim on the sidewalk by the lake. :) I waved at him the first time I saw him and I also tried telling him about the smacing waves, but I'm not sure he heard, since at that point i was across the canal on the return.

This swim was a very easy effort for me, so the swim on the whole wasn't a bad swim, it was just a slow swim!
What would you do differently?:

I guess not be intimidated by starting with all the men.
Transition 1
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

I got a calf cramp right as i was getting out of the water. Ouch! (That's not the word that came out though!) :) I got my wetsuit stripped off of me, and then headed down the looonnnggg run to transition. I'm not sure why they changed it from last year, but this year you had go along way to get to your bike. My feet felt pretty numb, so that made the run to T1 challenging.

At my bike I took time to dry my feet, put on socks, and a jacket. I usually never put any extra clothing on, but with just having come out of the lake into the cold air, and thinking about the wind to come, I made sure I put on something.

I said goodbye to Raegan, who was standing off to the side, and away I went.

Nothing considering the temperature.
Bike
  • 1h 32m 3s
  • 27 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

That first 10 miles or so was tough!!! We were going right into a headwind. My legs felt very heavy and it didn'tf eel like I was even moving. I just couldn't believe how slow I was going. I felt sure something was wrong with my bike. At one point, I got off of my bike to see if maybe a brake was rubbing. Nope! It was the rider! :( I think my legs were just stil not working from being cold and of course the wind.

I tell you what though.... it was heaven turning out of the wind! I was then going 27mph with little effort. That's what I like!! :) The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. John zoomed by me before passing through the transition area to do the hilly part of the course. Later on I passed him back. And then of course, he passed me one more time. I would have eventually passed him again, but then the ride was over. ;)

Power through the headwind a little better. Also, not waste time checking on a tire that there wasn't anything wrong with.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I ran with my bike to my spot. It was a long way done transition. I was so happy to see Raegan standing there ready to run and knowing that I was finished! :) i almost slipped and fell with my bike turning into my row, but i saved myself. I racked my bike and then gave Raegan the chip and said, "It's all yours!" I kissed Raegan good luck and told him to get going. My job was done! Hurray!!!

I got to then take my time at the rack and relax. :)

nothing
Run
  • 44m 42s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This was Raegan''s leg of the race, so I can't really comment on it. But, I will say that he smoked it!!!! Raegan did such a great job with the run. The wind was fierce, so i was happy not to have to battle it any more.

I was at the finish line when Raegan came through and he was running strong! Excellent job, Sweetie!

I will answer for Raegan- "Nothing, I am a running machine and nothing can defeat me!" Okay, maybe those wouldn't be his words, but hey... I'm the one writing this! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Afterwards, Raegan and I tried to figure out if the hotdogs and hamburgers were free for everyone. Once we found out that they were free for the athletes, then we scarfed a hotdog down.

We hung out with Jill and Doug some more to cheer in the HIMers- John, Chris, Brian, Robin, plus others that deserved some applause at the end of their race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

starting with all of those guys, the cold, numb legs, wind, hills, etc, etc, etc......

No, really, if I think back about the race, I'm pleased with how I did in any given moment. I did what I did to have a good race.

Event comments:

I have read many report that mentioned lack of volunteers, disorganization, etc...

I really didn't experience any of that. Yes, I did think that it was funny that they were calling out for anyone who wanted to be a wetsuit stripper, but by the time I came through, there were some. I think the police officers did a good job of monitoring the roads. The cones and the car/rider signs were a little confusing, but everything worked out fine.

Last updated: 2008-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:04 | 1500 meters | 02m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: out and back in Lake Carolyn (a small narrow canal)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:03 | 27 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: city street of Irving with some good hills on the second half of the course
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:42 | 06.2 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: out and back run on streets and concrete trails
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-04-16 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Playtri Olympic Relay

2008-04-16 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1343173

User image

Subject: RE: Playtri Olympic Relay

I did feel a touch guilty about running out of T2 with fresh legs...the headwinds had me cursing some but I just could not imagine how bad it must have been on the bike.   I know some people that were blown over recently by those fierce Las Colinas winds   So, even though the wind was tough on the run, I was determined to stay very positive about my own little aspect of the race.

I do like the trail aspect of the run - especially since it helped to shield from the wind.  I also like out n backs because halfway point helps me dose my effort, as well as getting to see more people I know.  I thought the volunteers at the break stations on the run course were excellent.  Water and Accelerade...and never any confusion about what I was about to get.

Thank you Sue for letting me run in your place.  Thanks for not getting into trouble on the swim because I really was glad I wasn't in that sea wave machine.

2008-04-16 8:06 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

I think if you do 2/3rds of the race you get 2/3rds of the post race food,,, just saying.

nice race report and i did the swim on Saturday and it was pretty choppy after the turnaround

great job both of you though 

2008-04-16 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Great relay, you two!  Sue, you braved some seriously not nice conditions and performed very well!  Raegan is indeed a running machine, and he proved it again.

Thank you very much for staying to make sure you guys didn't have to go out on the course and drag me back!  I appreciate the motivational hug at the start of the run (Sue, not Raegan...he would have just kicked me in the a$$)...it helped me forget I was starting a 13 mile run.  You guys are a great team! 

When are we racing together again??

Chris

2008-04-17 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
What...not even ONE mention of your very well deserved hardware that I know you have prominently displayed on your mantle? I must say, it truly was a beautiful trophy....such fine craftsmanship that went into making it! Those small Chinese children must be so proud! Nice bike time Sue, you certainly whizzed past me! It was so great hanging out with you all. You all definitely help remind me that FUN is the reason we do this bu** crack early morning races!
2008-04-17 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Looks like you put enough pressure on "Mr. Running Machine" to slingshot him & you both to some hardware. Nice job you two! Ya'll make quite the team!

2008-04-18 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job guys! Glad ya'll had fun out there despite the cold and wind. Congrats on the hardware too!
2008-04-18 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Very cool for you two to do the relay.  Sounds like you had a great time!  That's a nice bike split, considering the winds you all were experiencing.  And a nice job by "the running machine"!

Congrats to you both!

2008-04-20 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job.  That's cool that you did a relay together.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Olympic Relay Rss Feed