Caracas,
Venezuela
Club Hebraica
Total Time = 2h 44m 15s
Overall Rank = 104/204
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/33
Pre-race routine:

This is not really an oly. It's more like an international distance as the swim's only 1k.
Swim
  • 18m 44s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started out a bit too fast, clocked the first 100m at 1:40. Slowed the next 100 to 2:00. Then sort of fell into a groove. Passed 500m at 9:22 and got out of the pool in 18:30. Swim time includes run to TA.
What would you do differently?:

Try to start a little more slowly. This definitely wasn't an even effort. I remember looking at my watch every 100m as I pushed off the wall. Some were in the low 1:50's/high 1:40's while others were close to 2:00 min/100m.

Still this was only 15 sec slower than my stand-alone PB and 45 sec faster than my goal for the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

This was a sloppy transition. Like last year, I got a crappy spot in the TA. Once there, I couldn't put my socks on properly and ended up sitting down! Someone should have brought me a cigar. Took a couple of salt caps.

There's no sitting down in transitions!
Bike
  • 1h 26m 55s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.61 km/hr
Comments:

I got on the bike and had the big chainring for the downhill to leave the club. Downshifted to climb up to the main road. As soon as I got past the first overpass and the downhill began, I realized that my chain would never get back on the chainring. I tried everything, adjusting the tension on the fly, increasing cadence and then shifting...but nothing worked. I was stuck in the small chainring.

I spun out on the downhills and flats, my RPM's even reaching the 120's. Having come out twelfth out of the water, I watched as I got badly passed on those sections requiring a hard gear.

To save face, I climbed as hard as I could, which is probably the opposite of what I, not known for climbing power, should do. I was a bit scared I'd fry my legs for the run, though.

My original goal was 1:23-1:24, so I didn't lose that much time, but I did have to push myself to zone 5 on the climbs.

I managed to down a full 24oz. bottle of orange Gatorade and two HammerGels, the last one also orange-flavored.

No idea. I rode a couple of days prior to the race and the bike was shifting perfectly.

Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

I was more focused for this transition. Took some salt and off I went.

This was a good transition for me. I was really eager to get off the bike.
Run
  • 54m 41s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

I had left my banana HammerGel for the run because I really like how it tastes. My plan was to take it somewhere between the 2nd and 4th km. But it was still sitting in my pocket at the end of the run.

The run started immediately into a climb (same as bike). First km, everything was under control (5:33 min/km).

Km 2 (5:31) I was planning to get my running legs on this one and run it as close as possible to 5:00 min/km, but all the orangy/citric stuff I had on the bike was starting to come back up.

Km 3 (5:33) Kept an even pace. HR was pretty low. Stomach uneasy.

Km 4 (6:05) Halfway into this K, I started coughing as if I was about to vomit. Then it happened, I puked a bit, mainly liquid. I felt like that picture of Shoemaker when he qualified for the olympics. As soon as that happened, I got chills all over. I started to run again very slowly and thought "I'm screwed", but immediately after saying that my legs and lungs came back.

Km 5 (5:36) Not feeling too great, but managed to regain the pace I had before.

Turnaround. My original plan was to run the last half as if it were a stand-alone 5k; most of it is downhill.

Km 6 (4:52) That's what I'm talking about!

Km 7 (5:06) On pace. Pushing hard.

Km 8 (5:12) Oh, oh. Stomach's acting up. HR is low, but I felt that if I pushed harder I'd puke again.

Km 9 (5:14) Trying my best not to fall off pace.

Km 10 (5:53) As I made the turn for the final km, I saw this guy running wildly to catch me. Maybe I sort of froze because this was a slow overall km. In the final climb to enter the club, he was only a few meters behind me. All we had left after that was half a lap around the track. I figured that he was going to catch me, so I'd let him, rest a little bit, and then leave it all there for the final sprint. We ran together for about 100 meters and then in the last stretch, I kicked. He was fried and didn't respond. I came in only 2 seconds ahead of him. It was an exciting finish for a couple of boppers.

I wish I had been fresher at the start of the run, but the bike jinx didn't let me. Also, I need to stay away from citric stuff on race day. Couldn't hydrate at all throughout the run for fear of worsening the stomach issue.

I knew the course and had a sound strategy. I would have met my time goal if I had performed a bit better in km's 4 and 10.

I'm happy with this run anyways. I feel I can run OK under circumstances far from ideal.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: Dead on. Happy!
Bike: Mechanical issues. Pushed hard on climbs to minimize losses.
Run: Tired, but it was a good run.

Overall: Too much drama for my liking, but it was a fun race in the end. I beat my PB on this course by a minute and change.

Mayde had a phenomenal day. After a shitty swim, only 5 seconds below the time limit, she equaled my times on both the bike and the run and came in second in her AG, beating last year's time by 7 minutes!

Last updated: 2008-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:44 | 1000 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/33
Overall: 0/204
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:55 | 40 kms | 27.61 km/hr
Age Group: 0/33
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: HILLS!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:41 | 10 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 0/33
Performance: Good
Course: HILLS!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-04-16 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Triatlon Hebraica

2008-04-18 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1343752

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Triatlon Hebraica

We both seem to have problems on the bike  On 2 occasion last year my bike computer did not want to work And of course it was in the 2 biggest races. But there is nothing we can do but fight our way through it, and you did that in style

Overall you had a great race, a PB is a PB is a PB!!!!!

keep training Mayde is getting closer and closer
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triatlon Hebraica Rss Feed