Ironman North America
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1794/
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 323/
Pre-race routine:

I went into the race knowing I was way under-trained. I was only able to manage about 8-10 hours per week during the peak training phases which I know isn't nearly enough. So my plan was to try to take it really easy and see what happened. I had a goal of 14 hours, but really didn't have anything to base that on.

I woke up the Monday preceding the race with a sore throat and by the afternoon I left work early with chills and a fever a little above 103. My fever broke on Tuesday, but my head remained full of snot through race day. I was able to keep some airflow through my nose with 6 or 8 netti pot treatments per day.

After dropping my bike and my gear bags on Saturday, I got back to the in-law's house and my wife was sick as a dog with a high fever, etc. She ended up in the ER until after 11:30 Saturday night.

Not the lead-up that I would have wanted, but at least she was OK and gave me the go-ahead to do the race.

Woke up at 3:45, took a hot shower and two rounds of netti pot treatments trying to get my nose/sinus passages cleared of the night's accumulation. Ate a bagel, 2 eggs, 2 veggie sausages and a yogurt. Drank one quart of Gatorade and headed to the Race.

Everything went smoothly at the race, I got my tires pumped added water/Gatorade to the bike and double checked the bags just to satisfy my OCD.

My only complaint was that if they had pre-race drinking water available, I couldn't find it.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the lake and swam over to the Mill avenue bridge.
Swim
  • 1h 33m 26s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started about half way between the buoys and the south edge of the lake near the back of the pack. Swimming is not my strong suit, so my plan was to just hang near the back and try not to get mauled. My plan worked great. It was crowded for the first 20 minutes or so, but really not nearly as bad as I had expected. I think I got lucky in that it appeared that I was in the midst of a large group of women who in my experience tend to be much better at swimming in a straight line than men. One women accidentally kicked me in the chest and immediately stopped and turned around and asked if I was OK which I was and I told her no problem.

Because I'm so slow, there were not traffic issues on the return leg of the swim. My body felt great, I felt like I was navigating pretty well and my shoulders didn't hurt. When I got to the stairs and saw 1:33 I was pleased, I had hoped to be faster, but this pace was actually faster than my pace during the SOMA half, so I can't complain.
What would you do differently?:

Not much during the race. More swim training and coaching would obviously help.
Transition 1
  • 12m 13s
Comments:

Everything was good, the wet suit strippers were awesome and the transition volunteers had my bag for me. The tent had already cleared somewhat, so I was able to find a chair. I think the sunscreen people got a show they might not have wanted as I was standing naked applying chamois butter when I noticed that the tent has a large door opening about 10 feet away.

I guess I could have been faster, but I wanted to make sure that I got my feet dry and had everything I would need. Saving a few minutes in transition doesn't really seem that important on a race this long.
Bike
  • 7h 33m 16s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.83 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming out of transition on the bike was great, all the spectators and volunteers made it a lot of fun. But as soon as I hit Rio Salado I felt this wind. WTF! I was expecting heat with calm winds, but it was apparent that we would get heat and wind. So I just settled in and tried to take it easy. I passed a lot of people on the first leg out, but I was keeping my watts low and it was tough because I had to either pass or risk drafting. I also needed to find clear space because I was constantly blowing farmer johns to clear my nose as best I could.

I was alternating Gatorade and water in my aero bottle, and was doing OK the first leg out. One guy even asked me if I was on my second lap! At that point only like 4 male pros had passed us. I assured him that I was just a slow swimmer with a fancy bike.

After the 1st turn around my stomach started to make it's self known. I was still able to eat and drink, but it was not happy. I decided to take it even easier to see if I could settle my stomach as I knew it was too early to have stomach issues. Looking back, I think I also eased up to much on the fluid intake as well.

By the time I was on my way back out on the second lap, my stomach was really hurting and I was having trouble getting much down. I found that my stomach felt a little better if I got out of the aero bars and sat upright. I think a few people were thinking why is this guy sitting straight upright into this brutal headwind, but it seemed like it was helping my stomach.

By the third lap, I couldn't really hold any fluids or food at all. I was also getting worried, because I had only had one meager pee at the bike 1/2 way turn around.

Need more training and more experimenting with nutrition. I think I should have tried more watter with a few salt tablets and risk bonking and just stopped the calories all together. The thought of orange Gatorade at this point makes me sick.

My body actually felt great. My legs, knees, shoulders and even my rear end didn't really hurt. My feet hurt a lot. I think I might splurge on some of those shoes where they heat the soles and mold them to your foot.
Transition 2
  • 29m 13s
Comments:

I knew that I needed to get some fluids down, so I figured I'd take my time in the transition tent. I sat right in front of the large fan, and slowly changed clothes.

I talked to Harry (hjmiii) in the transition tent, he said he was also having nutrition problems and was doing an extended T2 to regroup.

Not much given my situation. I might have tried to muscle down more water.
Run
  • 00m
  • 12.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of transition and figured I'd walk a little to get my legs under me. I started to run (jog) after about 1/2 mile. My legs actually felt fine, no cramps or any pain really. But my stomach was getting worse by the minute. At this point I couldn't hold anything down. I was hitting only pretzels and water at each aid station, but I don't think it was staying down long enough to get much absorption.

I was running the numbers in my head, and figured that if I could average 15 minute miles, I could finish with about 40 minutes to spare before the cut off. To do a 15 minute mile, I needed to jog about 5 minutes and walk the other 10. My plan was on the flats to try to jog the first 5 minutes after each aid station, then walk the remainder. I made one additional rule that I would walk all up-hill sections and jog all down-hill sections regardless of the time.

When I got to the "motivational mile" where your family posts things on the big screen, there was a message for me which said something like "Go Daddy Go". I cried about half way back across the mill avenue bridge.

I made it the rest of the way through the first lap following my run-walk plan. By the end of the first lap the sun was down. I was really hoping that once it cooled off things would come back around. But I just kept getting worse. I wasn't drinking or eating anything by the start of the second lap and I was finding it tougher to maintain my 5 on 10 off routine.

Shortly after the run special needs (which I only stopped to collect my spare socks), my head began to hurt really bad and I was getting very dizzy. I was having trouble keeping a clear focus on the lights of the next aid station as I headed east from the run special needs.

At that point I started to worry that I might be risking my health as I have never had such a bad headache or gotten so dizzy (without alcohol). When I got to "run aid 5" which on the second lap would equate to somewhere around 12 or 13 miles I decided that I'd had enough. The medical guy at the aid station called for a SAG wagon.

Better conditioning and better nutrition practice.

Post race
Warm down:

Took a ride on the Gator with Tempe EMS back to the medical tent. Had a couple of pit stops to dry heave.

They took me right back to the medical tent and gave me two liters of IV fluids. I started to feel better. The policy is that if you need more than two liters they send you to the hospital, which I really didn't want. So I went back to the in-laws with my wife.

My wife being the good nurse that she is started a new IV on me at home and got another liter of fluids in me which really seemed to do the trick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad hydration/nutrition.

I don't know what this means, but as of day 3 post race, my body feels fine. My legs were a little stiff, but that's about it. No blisters, no knee pain, nothing.

Event comments:

Although this sounds like a miserable experience, I actually had a lot of fun. I don't remember once thinking to myself "why am I doing this?". Since prior to April 13 I had never swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 nor ran a marathon much less all at the same time, I think I learned a lot. I'm really looking forward to IMAZ November. I've got 7 months to train and do more experimenting with nutrition, etc. There's no way it's going to be this hot in November and I'll actually be able to train outside. Plus with the long summer days hopefully I can increase the training time without impacting family time.

While yes, I wish I had finished, that's not really what this whole thing is about for me. I enjoy the training, anticipation, the race experience and weirdly I think even the suffering is a net positive experience. I learned a lot about the IM distance and about myself. I was under-trained and I suffered the consequences. No regrets, in fact I think I'm more hooked on this stuff than I was before the race.

All the volunteers and people cheering were awesome. Can't wait 'til November.

Last updated: 2007-11-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:33:26 | 4224 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 12:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:33:16 | 112 miles | 14.83 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 29:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 12.5 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-16 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2008-04-17 12:38 AM
in reply to: #1343828

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Good work out there. You learned a lot out there and it will help you when November rolls back around.
2008-04-17 1:17 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
What an AWESOME attitude about all of this. You actualyl did really well your body jus say "NO MORE" and you made the proper choice to not risk further harm. Cannot wait to see how November goes, I am sure it wil be MUUUCH better compared to this BRUTAL IMAZ! Glad you had FUN!
2008-04-17 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Thanks for sharing this with us.  You made a tough, but probably a very smart, call.  It was brutal out there - and you're here to race another day.
2008-04-17 9:40 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Sorry your day ended early, but great job on listening to your body. 
2008-04-17 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

I love your perspective on this race. You gave it a shot. You had a rough week leading up to the race which I'm sure came into play when you made the decision to stop.

I remember handing you your medical waiver card at registration and I look forward to doing so in November.

2008-04-17 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW... rough week and night before the race and a rough race.

You still got out there and did it... and did a lot of it even with stomach issues. I tell you what, I don't think Tempe has seen so much vomit at a race. RR after RR... everyone is talking about vomiting!

Good call and cutting it short and heading in. November will be your time. Good luck on training.
2008-04-17 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Your second to last paragraph says it all for me, too. This stuff is a long term endeavor and it sounds to me like you are set up perfectly for a great day in November.

Can't wait to read about that race..
2008-04-17 9:53 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
For sure we had similar experiences. Man, we were close to each other the whole way...I came in around the same time for the swim and also bike. Like you said, it was a tough day and no shame in putting your health first. I was not feeling well on the run too and I brought some migraine headache so that helped me. To be honest, I've dnf'ed at an IM before but it made me stronger and gained a wealth of knowledge about my body and distance.

I think you will get this in Nov. Better weather and you have tons of experience from this race.

You'll do great. Good luck in your training and can't wait to see your successful crossing the line in Nov.

Edited by auto208562 2008-04-17 9:54 PM
2008-04-18 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Sounds like you had a tough day but your attitude is great! Glad you enjoyed the day as much as you could and will look forward to watching you in Nov
2008-04-18 11:53 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Health First! I think you know you did the right thing...Take some down time to recover from the day - and then...you can ease back in for November!

Hopefully life will allow for more proper training..and the day will treat you better in November!

2008-04-22 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
tough day under hard conditions. way to go and always another day
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed