Colombia
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 37m
Overall Rank = ?/?
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 0/?
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had a cold shower as always, ate 1 roll with cheese and drank a strong coffee. Picked up 1 bottle of Gatorade and 2 bananas and off I walked to the park 2min away.
Event warmup:

Nada. I thought, why waste energy on warm up, when I can warm up during the first few kms anyway. It's a long haul, so had to keep it slow from the beginning.
Run
  • 4h 37m
  • 42 kms
  • 06m 36s  min/km
Comments:

Since it was my first marathon I didn't know what to expect and pacing was a guess. Basically I ran it like a 1/2 Mary and suffered the other half.
Coping with the 8000 feet altitude: regular breathing pattern doesn't work. You need to breathe more to compensate. Simple as that.

So not having done enough of really long runs I really suffered after the 26th km. Plus, I did not taper at all, this week I did 2x10kms and the last run was 2 days before the mary. Also, didn't want to ruin my new running shoes on that gravel I took my old NB with 2000km+ on them and had no issues at all.

Running with a handful of people lapping each other all the time you have no real sense where you are. No fans cheering, no cowbells made the whole thing pretty boring and I was only motivated by the desire to finish this run.
What would you do differently?:

Run a bigger event next time. All the pain deserves some cowbells and at least a t-shirt.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for few minutes and stretched a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not focusing on speed in training and not enough runs over 25kms.

Event comments:

Well, at least I got this Marathon thing out of the system for a while so next time I will enjoy it more. Under the circumstances though I'm really happy I did it, it was a very positive ending of our trip to Colombia after all the health dramas and 'house arrest' for a long time.

Last updated: 2008-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
04:37:00 | 42 kms | 06m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Average
Course: Flat as a pancake around the park, 1km loop, fine black gravel surface (that makes your legs and shoes look really dirty after few kms when it's not raining). Altitude 8000 feet!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-04-17 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: Parque de Ciudad Montes Marathon

2008-04-18 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1346261

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Parque de Ciudad Montes Marathon
Great first marathon, no tshirt? I would have asked for my money back.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parque de Ciudad Montes Marathon Rss Feed