Rotary
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 35m 26s
Overall Rank = 77/99
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race waay too early. Ended up sitting in the car watching the volunteers arrive & then set up the tables.
Event warmup:

Shivering....there was a huge breeze coming off the gulf.
Run
  • 35m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Forgot to start my Garmin until I looked down to see my pace. Oops! Started it and a few minutes later, I realize I'm running a 9:30 pace. This is waaaay too fast for me, and even though I slowed it down some, I had to stop and walk for a few before the mile 1 mark. Doh.

Played pass-back with another girl, then decided to focus on keeping the garmin below 12 min/mi. I've never had a race that's sub 12, so I figured that would be a good goal...kept catching up to that girl, but by the time I got there, I'd have to stop and walk for a few. She told me later that her whole second half of the race was just trying to stay ahead of me. Cool, we both did well as a result.

Very, very happy with my overall time! Wish I could have run at a more consistent pace instead of surge/walk, but I'll take it!
What would you do differently?:

Sleep in another hour.
Post race
Warm down:

Basking in the glow of another PR. Its always nice to PR, but I really didn't expect it today at all! I didn't exactly do anything special for this race except wake up. And though I wouldn't necessarily taper for a 5K, but I might have skipped my run last night. Or maybe the bad run last night was why I did well today???

Ate some munchies! Checked the times and realized I had 3rd place in my AG! Hoorah for small races...but this time I actually BEAT someone! So, it was fun to have to wait for an award and go up there and get my picture taken :-)

Event comments:

Very surprised at how NICE this race was! I had very low expectations.....the other Rotary events I've been to have been very low budget, but this race had printed race numbers, timing chips (the credit card kind), and even cash prizes to the AG winners! The T-shirt wasn't awful either! I'd definitely do this one again!!

Last updated: 2008-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:26 | 03.11 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 77/99
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]