Ironman North America
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 52m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 193/266
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Arizona Thursday night. Friday morning swim and then I biked the run course. Saturday swim in the morning again and then went to the Diamondbacks game to get my mind off the race.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site around 6am. Perfect timing to drop of transition and special needs bags, fill water bottles on the bike, grab the wetsuit and head to the water.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 35s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started middle right, closer to the wall. When the gun went off, I waited a few seconds before actually swimming in order to avoid the mass in front of me. The first 50 or so, my head was up and I was just trying to find a slot to start swimming. After 200, I got in to a nice pace, kept telling myself 5 min better in the swim is not going to make my day. I took a heal to the chin approaching the turnaround. Completely brought my head out of the water. Had to get my bearings, make sure my teeth were all there and then continued. On the way back, I was swimming a little off course. At one point I was all alone with a guard...not good. Picked my spot, and tried to correct the course. Turning into the stairs, the swim felt just as long as the start. Maybe because I started thinking about transition and the long day ahead of me.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, but I'll take it for the first IM swim
Transition 1
  • 09m 13s
Comments:

I kept telling myself over and over to just take my time, don't forget anything, get sunscreen on and eat something...

Bike
  • 6h 48m 22s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow - what can I say. Going out was crazy. I was trying to drink - a lot...look at the road and try to remember where all the pot hole are for the second and third loops and mark landmarks so I would know how far the aid stations, turns were...This strategy worked pretty well, and kept my mind off everything else. It was nice to make the turn around and ride 30+ on the way back in. The crowds were awesome coming back to transition. The second loop was not as good... my mind started to loose focus. I didn't want to push myself too hard and not have anything for the run...so, dropped it down (or moved it up - not sure the proper lingo) a gear and tried to keep it nice and smooth and not to get caught up in any individual races... I put on more sunscreen at the SN bag. I could feel my back burning. (I didn't notice until after the race that the very nice women who applied sunscreen missed a couple spots on my back...) Around mile 90 - 95 I had ENOUGH of orange gatorade. If fact, it will be a while before I choose that flavor again. This bike was far the hardest to date. Granted, I don't have much 100+ mile rides under my belt (now two!), but I was tired. I tried not to push it too hard and blow out my legs. I tried to enjoy the day, enjoy the moment. I knew going in I had my personal goals and that was what I was racing against. These other people were just doing their own race.

Stay focused longer - I assume this just comes with more training
Transition 2
  • 15m 43s
Comments:

When I arrived at the bike catchers, I had trouble removing my bento box. I needed the salt tabs, sunscreen and gel. It probably would have been faster to just remove these individually, but I wasn't really thinking and didn't want to forget anything. In the tent I just wanted to take my time, cool down. I had some ice water and a power bar. Just really took my time. I realized I probably wasn't going to break my goal of 14H and now the focus was on finishing with a respectable time - one that I could be proud of.

Move a little faster, but given the conditions, I just wanted to cool down and again not forget anything!
Run
  • 6h 21m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Well - I never ran 26.2 before...my longest run to date was 18. I missed my 20 mile run three weeks before the race due to my child being born....I knew I could finish, just didn't know how much to push. I didn't want to hit a wall and NOT finish, so I took it slow - real slow. I walked the first mile, just eating and drinking. The rest of the race, I decided to walk every aid station and then finish every water/gatorade/broth before starting to run (or should I say shuffle) again. This worked out to about half mile walking, half mile jogging. This seemed to work well all the way thru. The third lap, I picked up a very nice man and we walked/ran the last loop together. While trying to encourage him, I stopped thinking about me. At one point I told him, I really need him run right now with me, because I'm going to need him later and I didn't want to drop him. This seemed to get him going a little. Thank you for staying with me Hunter. It was very nice to walk/run with you. We employed the same strategy the final loop. The chicken broth really helped and without it, I'm not sure I would have finished. I couldn't take in any more gatorade. I also put ice under my hat every aid station - this cooled me down. On the last loop, I thanked every volunteer and every spectator that issued words of encouragement. I can't tell you how many I thanked, but if I missed someone or you left early - THANK YOU AGAIN. When Hunter and I came to the finial shoot, I told him to go ahead of me and finish by himself. I just wanted to enjoy the moment a little longer. I took my time running down the final stretch, taking it all in. Thinking of my son and my new baby daughter (3 weeks old) and my wonderful and very supportive wife at home. I knew she was watching. Just trying to hold back all emotions and finish tall and look strong for them propelled me thru the shoot. I was walking on air. Then hearing my name and "You are and Ironman" - well I almost lost it. It was a long day, and ironically - I didn't want it to end.

More training, but for my first mary it was okay. Looking back, I probably should have pushed myself harder. Now that I know I can finish, I will on the next one.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my medal and finishers garb, and made it to the food tent with the help of one of the catchers. I ate two pieces of pizza and fries (which I saw again later that night). Got my stuff and went back to the hotel to shower. The plan was to go back to the race and watch people come in, but I didn't make it. I hit the bed and was out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. I really didn't know how much to push myself. I didn't want to not finish. I am okay with my time, I'm okay with my pacing and happy with myself. Even though I didn't make my goal, I enjoyed every minute. Can't wait for the next one...

Event comments:

Just THANK YOU....TO EVERYONE and especially my family. They are the ones that got me thru it. They are the ones that kept me going. They are the ones that sacrificed their time so I can train. They are the ones that allowed me to become an Ironman.

Last updated: 2008-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:35 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 164/266
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Full
Course: Out and Back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:48:22 | 112 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 180/266
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 15:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:21:43 | 26.2 miles | 14m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 195/266
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 loops
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-20 11:08 AM

User image

Naples, FL
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2008-04-20 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1349696

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Hey Jonathon....CONGRATS! YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!....ONCE AN IRONMAN...ALWAYS AN IRONMAN!!!! I was one of those spectators who was on the back side of the course near the swim exit. I can not imagine doing a 2+ miles swim along with a 112 mile bike ride then top it off with a complete marathon....just one of those a lone would be the end of me! you ROCK! and I am soooooo inspired by you and the others competitors! I was there watching my brother who was taken off of his bike in the Florida race due to a tragic accident with his wife...so this was a very emotional day for us! he did finish and we are so proud of him and all you others who were able to reach deep inside and find the energy to fight the blazing heat and high winds! Thank you for the inspiration that you give to me to realize that we can do whatever we put our minds too...no matter what the circumstances...I have many pictures from the event and will be downloading more later....hope you will stop by my blog and album...let me know if you would like me to email you any...you are welcome to any that I have! ONCE AGAIN CONGRATS IRONMAN!!!! you as well as all others who attempted this race simply amaze me!!!
2008-04-20 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Congratulations Ironman!!!!! Excellent race and awesome that this was your first marathon
2008-04-20 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Congratulations, Ironman.  It was a tough day out there.  You made some good decisions about pacing your bike and run.  That's what it's all about.

TJ

2008-04-22 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
tough day out there, nice job ironman
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed