Setup Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5, ate oatmeal and cup of coffee. Drank HEED enroute to the event (45 minutes)
Event warmup:

Short run to loosen the legs before hitting the water. Did a short swim but not enough. The water was no more than 70 degrees and had some effect on just about everyone.
Swim
  • 25m 34s
  • 820 yards
  • 03m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first 250-300 meters I was pulling badly to the left. I could not understand why until I figured out I was raising my head too far to breathe and sight. I breathe on the left so I was pulling that way. Calmed down by the first turn buoy and never had another problem with sighting. I did occasionally have to slow and get the breathing back in rhythm now that I am using a breath every stroke.
What would you do differently?:

NOt much. The water was cold but not too cold. As with all open water swims I am sure I swam more than the course distance. For some reason I have a terrible time with 750 meter courses and I think it is because it takes me so long to get warmed up and get going. The impact is less on a 1500 or 2100 meter course.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

This time in T1 was not good or bad for me. I have had longer and shorter times. I did not think I did a bad job getting the wetsuit off but of course it could have been better.

Try to go faster
Bike
  • 50m 16s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 17.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I like this bike course. It is initially tough with some early hills but smooths out after about 3 miles. One of my friends caught up with me at 20 minutes and we rode together the rest of the way. Wes is a good rider and came in 2nd in the 50-54 age group. I consumed most of a bottle of HEED on the bike and that worked out well.

Nothing. I was not pushing at all for this segment or the run afterwards. Training has been spotty for the bike and I was keeping the HR at 140 -150 bpm to see where I would be for a road ride. The new bike makes a BIG difference. For the same effort I think I would have been 2 minutes slower on the old bike and the legs would not have felt near as good for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Tying my shoes makes about 20 sec of this but it's not like that was keeping me off the podium. I typically take from 1-1.5 minutes in T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 30m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was tougher than I thought at first, You come up a big hill out of transition that makes your HR shoot up and does wonders for your calves. After I cleared all that I stopped to remove my right shoe. SOmething was bunched up under my toes but after getting that straight the run was no problem. I did slow somewhat so a friend could catch up and we ran the rest of the way together. I was keeping the HR as close as I could to 160 which is my tempo pace. On a flat track that works out to 10 minute miles and I was close to that. Running at that pace in a race seems almost easy.

Nothing. I kept the pace where I wanted it and came very close to exactly what I would have predicted.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to all my Triad Ti TEam friends, ate some pizza and ended up in transition showing the new bike to Alice (love2tri).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Difficulty in getting in early season training. Thank heavens I did not get in the White Lake Half.

Event comments:

A good friend, Benji Jones is the Race Director for this race. It's his first race since he went full time with Setup. I have nothing but good things to say about the course, volunteers and post race. Nest year I expect this race attendance will double or sell out. The best thing was seeing Alice and Mark (love2tri and Wakeman). I have not seen either in 1.5 years and it was good to talk with them. Alice got 2nd in Masters Females and Mark won the 50-54 age group. I need to talk to them more often!

Last updated: 2008-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:34 | 820 yards | 03m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR Sleeveless
Course: Triangle clockwise
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:16 | 14.5 miles | 17.31 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop on decent roads. Lots of patches on some areas. Some hills but not bad.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:18 | 03.11 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, rolling.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-20 2:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: Belews Lake Triathlon

2008-04-20 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1349913

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Belews Lake Triathlon
Hi Fred,
Great race report and fantastic race considering you have not been training much.I agree that Benji did a great job and that attendance will probably double next year.

John
2008-04-20 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

nice race fred!! awesome pace for keeping it at an easy effort! would it help if you warmed up befor the swim more maybe?

nice job!

tom 

2008-04-21 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC
Pssst.  Alice got 2nd Masters Female, not third. 
2008-04-21 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte

Great race Fred!  That swim course was very long so you did better than you thought.

I've really got the itch for a new tri bike since I saw yours on Saturday.  It's awesome.  I just need to find an extra 4-5K lying around somewhere.  

I guess I'll be seeing you next month since I bit the bullet and signed up for OTM.  That's assuming, of course, that I survive WLH. lol!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake Triathlon Rss Feed