General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Police Service Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Regina Police Service Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada
Regina Police Service
9C / 48F
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 530am and had some cereal then went back to bed...felt pretty tired. Woke up again at 7am and looked outside at the wind howling and was dreading the race. Got to the race at around 8am.
Event warmup:

Basically nothing....the wind was blowing so hard that there was no way I was going to do a warm up outside. Couldn't decided on how much clothing to leave on....decided on shorts and a t-shirt but wore a light Running Room vest over top. Thought that might be a bit cold but it turned out to be just right. Chatted with some people I hadn't seen in a while then made my way to the starting line as the wind got worse!
Run
  • 1h 42m 56s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 53s  min/km
Comments:

Started off the race not knowing what to expect. I honestly haven't put much time into the run as far as distance is concerned so I was relying on the cross training that I've done. The first half of the first loop was brutal...the wind hit us as soon as we rounded the first corner. I tried to draft but always seemed to find myself running in an open spot. The pace started off pretty good so I thought I'd keep it up for a while and see how it went. Half way through the first loop the wind was sort of at our sides/backs so that was a moral victory. Still felt pretty good though so I kept a couple runners within site as a way of pusing myself.

Finished the first 10k in 49:04 and still felt pretty good so I decided as long as I still felt good I would keep pushing it. At 17k I started to do some math and realized if I kept up this pace I would definitely do a PB! Started doubting myself a bit at 18k....I probably could have pushed harder but didn't want to "blow up". Turned the 2nd last corner with less and 1k to go and the wind was an absolute BITCH! Kept my feet moving and rounded the last corner to the finish line......as I picked up speed I realized that I felt really good and could've pushed it harder but that's hindsight. I crossed the finish line in 1:42:56! beating my previous best by over 5 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really....with the amount of run training I've done I'm ecstatic with my time. At times I maybe could've pushed it more but I liked how I ran an even pace throughout the race. I think I need to work on the mental part of the race though....especially in the last few km....I can't be afraid to push the pace...after all...IT'S A RACE! I also enjoyed NOT carrying a water bottle....that's what I've done the last few races and just doing the water stations seems to work well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and stayed around the finish line area. Then went in for the Greasy Buffet...what a brutal post race meal....why not do something like sandwiches, cheese, veggies etc? I took one bite and pushed it away...I usually can't eat much right after a race anyways.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training but I really can't complain about how everything turned out. If I can unload a few things out of my schedule and really focus on training for me....I'm pumped about how well I can possibly do in my upcoming races.

Last updated: 2008-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:56 | 21.1 kms | 04m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: 3 loops around Wascana Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-20 3:49 PM

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: Regina Police Service Half-Marathon

2008-04-20 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1349991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: RE: Regina Police Service Half-Marathon

Very nicely done Nick.

You ran like the wind, despite the wind.

I think, if anything, you have proven that good solid cross training, while not a replacement for running, can put you in a good position to run well. And you ran really well.

Maybe next time you might appreciate the greazzzy sausages and plastic eggs...lol.

Congrats! 

2008-04-21 11:34 AM

User image

Savour the victory over your inner doubts, and remember that feeling for the next race... Those doubts always seem tougher when the weather is against you. Let's hope the rest of the racing season features nicer conditions.

Congrats on the PB!
2008-04-21 11:15 PM
in reply to: #1351568

User image

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan
Thanks Andrea!  The weather can't get much worse than it was yesterday....uhm well I just had a flashback to Pike Lake last year! lol
2008-04-23 11:59 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
congrats on the PR! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Regina Police Service Half-Marathon Rss Feed