General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on Gulf Coast Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-20 9:27 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: Thoughts on Gulf Coast

There are a lot of you on here who are either doing Gulf Coast as your first HIM or doing it for the first time so I though since this will be #6 for me I would give you some thoughts on what to expect....

Swim-It looks like it is going to be a wetsuit legal swim (which it has been each year since '03 if memory serves), you never know what it is going to be like as far as waves go. Last year was fantastic, three years ago it looked like Pipeline out in Hawaii so be prepared for anything. Evidently there was also a jellyfish problem last year that I was fortunate enough to miss.

T1-There is a longish run from the beach to the Transition area. There have been showers in years past to wash off the sand. The transition area is HUGE so make sure you know where your rack is located.

Bike-Out of transition there is a right turn for a 2 mile out and back on Mystic Ave. Flat and pretty smooth. You can also get a pretty good idea on what kind of time gap you have on your competition (or vice versa). The first 10 miles are parallel to the beach on Front St, the last two years we have been lucky and the wind hasn't been too bad off the water but the potential is there so be prepared for it. The next 10 miles or so are inland and contain the only "hill" on the course which is a bridge over the Intercoastal waterway. Directly after the bridge you make a right turn onto a rural state road for the final 10 miles to the turn around. I have *heard* that they resurfaced this road (which would just be amazing!) but if not then be prepared for a rough ride over a very bumpy chip and seal road. Coming back in there is usually a breeze at least coming off the water so you get a headwind from Mile 40-48ish and then a crosswind the rest of the way back to Transition.

T2-Coming into transition there is usually quite a bit of sand on the road so be prepared and be careful. Run out is the same place as the bike out.

Run-Bottom line it's HOT! Damn HOT! So hot I could cook things in my undershorts! It's DAMN HOT! Seriously, the run is relatively unshaded (there are a few parts that are through the neighborhoods) but mostly not. Then there is the "Park of Doom" (St Andrews Park) where you run a mile circle with no shade , I liken it to running on the surface of the sun. Pay attention to your hydration and staying cool. Dump water over your head at each stop, use the sponges. Anything to keep cool.

Post Race-Free pizza and beer in the pavilion.

A few other nuggets:

• Have a plan for your nutrition and stick to it.
  • Pace yourself, pace yourself, pace yourself
  • Think positive thoughts, anytime you feel tired or sore thing happy thoughts and give yourself positive self talk. Phrases like "I am crushing this run (even if you don't feel like you are), or think about  your form or breathing, anything to get you back to the present.
  • For the next few weeks find a quiet place and sit down and visualize your race from start to finish. Envision yourself having a strong swim, speedy transition, fast bike, another speedy transition, and then a crushing run. If you do this enough then even though it might be your first time there or first HIM your mind has already run the race many times.
  • HAVE FUN! (someone might want to remind me of this one pre-race )

Good Luck! 

2008-04-21 5:56 AM
in reply to: #1350446

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Gulf Coast
Rocket Man - 2008-04-20 10:27 PM

...three years ago it looked like Pipeline out in Hawaii...

Eh...it wasn't that big. 3' swells, maybe. But glassy and coming in sets so truly not a big deal at all. However, if it's stormy you might want to consider some dramamine.

2008-04-21 6:43 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Nice thougths...

I enjoy the thought of finishing the day with a run on the sun. Very nice.
2008-04-21 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock

Pizza and beer at the end- that thought will get me through the tail end of the run .

Thanks for the info, it did answer some questions I had about the course.

2008-04-21 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1350665

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
run4yrlif - 2008-04-21 6:56 AM

...three years ago it looked like Pipeline out in Hawaii...

Eh...it wasn't that big. 3' swells, maybe. But glassy and coming in sets so truly not a big deal at all. However, if it's stormy you might want to consider some dramamine.

Maybe it was 4 years ago then.....one year relatively recently they delayed the start and had considered cancelling the swim because of the swells, it was as big as I have ever seen the Gulf. That is pretty rare though.

2008-04-21 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
That pretty much sums it up. The park that you run through, has a nickname.. 'the frying pan' .. it is one place that lives up to the hype.

I got hit with a jellyfish tentacle on my right face cheek last year. It burns pretty intensely, but is only as big of an issue as you make it out to be. Just try to swim through it. If you get stung, my advice is to just keep going. Stopping could only allow for more potential stings. Remember, you will probably be in a wetsuit, and 95 percent of your body will be covered.

Most of us Georgians have plenty of wind training on the bike due to this very windy spring, just be prepared for some in this race. If it's there, you're ready, if not, triple bonus.

If that road is paved!!!!  lookout! I wil throw a party.

GC is one of my favorite races, if not my favorite. It's well done, always has a great group of athletes competing, is in a good location, and has a great post race party on Saturday night. This race destroyed me on '06.. 6:43.. went back for revenge in 07, and did a 5:20. (results say 5:15, but I started in wrong wave.). Anyway, you can have a good day out there despite the challenges. Also, bring your A party game for Saturday night. Time to get crazy.. also, dancing is good for leg recovery... really, it is.

2008-04-21 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the info! That will help. I've been reading race reports and they all mention the heat. Perhaps I can convice the LA Fitness people to let me set up a treadmill in the sauna! I'm worried because it's been a cool spring.

2008-04-21 9:48 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Like Brett said- the run it HOT!  They don't call it "Gulf Roast" for nothing!

It's a good idea to wear a hat (not visor) for the run portion so that you can put ice cubes or a cold sponge in your hat to keep you cool.  That really helped me.  Sunglasses are a must- it's really bright since there isn't any shade.

Good luck to everyone racing it!

2008-04-21 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1351103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA

Since I'm supporting and not racing GC anymore - where's the most needed place for some bell and beer and sunblock?  The park?

2008-04-21 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1352355

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
emlavigne - 2008-04-21 4:02 PM

Since I'm supporting and not racing GC anymore - where's the most needed place for some bell and beer and sunblock?  The park?

Bell = Swim Exit, Bike Finish, Anywhere on the run.
Beer = Ice cold, dixie cup.. In the park, though ingress and egress is very backed up during the run.. so actually, forget the park. Find access to somewhere in the neighboorhoods.. i.e. First 3 miles, last three miles. Like Mile 3 aka 10. You'll see peeps 2x.
Block.. same spot. 

2008-04-21 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Co-Sign all the above but please don't forget the sunscreen..Worth an extra 30 seconds in T1 for a quick slather.

In that part of the world, the wind might be blowing 25knots the night before but will die down completely for the start, so don't let the weather on Fri. spook you.

This will be #5 for me..Some years, this course has PR written all over it but never if you aren't mindful of the heat as you start to run..Hydrate, salt-tabs, and sponges and ice.

Wouldn't be Mother's Day if it weren't the weekend of Sufferfest..

2008-04-23 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Probably the best advice I have seen specific to a single race ... thanks Brett!

As for beer placement, there is a neighborhood that is Mile 3/Mile 10 on the run that is always a lot of fun as folks come out from the houses to cheer on the participants.  One tri-club set up a rogue beer stand and offered free dixie-cup shots of ice cold beer ...

...best beer shot I have ever had!

There are a lot of you on here who are either doing Gulf Coast as your first HIM or doing it for the first time so I though since this will be #6 for me I would give you some thoughts on what to expect....

Swim-It looks like it is going to be a wetsuit legal swim (which it has been each year since '03 if memory serves), you never know what it is going to be like as far as waves go. Last year was fantastic, three years ago it looked like Pipeline out in Hawaii so be prepared for anything. Evidently there was also a jellyfish problem last year that I was fortunate enough to miss.

T1-There is a longish run from the beach to the Transition area. There have been showers in years past to wash off the sand. The transition area is HUGE so make sure you know where your rack is located.

Bike-Out of transition there is a right turn for a 2 mile out and back on Mystic Ave. Flat and pretty smooth. You can also get a pretty good idea on what kind of time gap you have on your competition (or vice versa). The first 10 miles are parallel to the beach on Front St, the last two years we have been lucky and the wind hasn't been too bad off the water but the potential is there so be prepared for it. The next 10 miles or so are inland and contain the only "hill" on the course which is a bridge over the Intercoastal waterway. Directly after the bridge you make a right turn onto a rural state road for the final 10 miles to the turn around. I have *heard* that they resurfaced this road (which would just be amazing!) but if not then be prepared for a rough ride over a very bumpy chip and seal road. Coming back in there is usually a breeze at least coming off the water so you get a headwind from Mile 40-48ish and then a crosswind the rest of the way back to Transition.

T2-Coming into transition there is usually quite a bit of sand on the road so be prepared and be careful. Run out is the same place as the bike out.

Run-Bottom line it's HOT! Damn HOT! So hot I could cook things in my undershorts! It's DAMN HOT! Seriously, the run is relatively unshaded (there are a few parts that are through the neighborhoods) but mostly not. Then there is the "Park of Doom" (St Andrews Park) where you run a mile circle with no shade , I liken it to running on the surface of the sun. Pay attention to your hydration and staying cool. Dump water over your head at each stop, use the sponges. Anything to keep cool.

Post Race-Free pizza and beer in the pavilion.

A few other nuggets:

• Have a plan for your nutrition and stick to it.
  • Pace yourself, pace yourself, pace yourself
  • Think positive thoughts, anytime you feel tired or sore thing happy thoughts and give yourself positive self talk. Phrases like "I am crushing this run (even if you don't feel like you are), or think about  your form or breathing, anything to get you back to the present.
  • For the next few weeks find a quiet place and sit down and visualize your race from start to finish. Envision yourself having a strong swim, speedy transition, fast bike, another speedy transition, and then a crushing run. If you do this enough then even though it might be your first time there or first HIM your mind has already run the race many times.
  • HAVE FUN! (someone might want to remind me of this one pre-race )

Good Luck! 

2008-04-26 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Are we going to try to get BT group thing going down in PC? Maybe a quick swim and bike on Friday to loosen up and meet some Georgia BT folks.
2008-04-27 8:47 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
I'll meet with some BT folks. FlyingTiger will be with me. I need to get into the water as this will be my first OWS in the ocean.  Not looking forward to dealing with jelly fish.
2008-04-28 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA

We should be getting down to PC Thursday evening. I am up for a morning swim followed by a short bike ride of the run course.

Hopefully, the water will be calm and the jellyfish gone.Laughing

2008-05-01 6:27 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
We are rolling into town around noon on Friday. BT dinner on Friday night anyone?

2008-05-01 6:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I'm in for dinner on Friday night. Would be good to get together with BT folks. How about that swim on Friday? Anyone interested?
2008-05-01 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Just did a training ride on the course two weekends ago. They have paved the first 5 miles of 388 off the bridge, then it's Shake & Bake through the turnaround and back to the new pavement again. That segment is @ 12 miles so approx. half is like glass and the rest is like a--.

H.
2008-05-01 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1375947

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

homeraway - 2008-05-01 3:38 PM Just did a training ride on the course two weekends ago. They have paved the first 5 miles of 388 off the bridge, then it's Shake & Bake through the turnaround and back to the new pavement again. That segment is @ 12 miles so approx. half is like glass and the rest is like a--. H.

Thanks for the recon!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on Gulf Coast Rss Feed