General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
Total Time = 1h 46m 35s
Overall Rank = 458/538
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

This was my first Tri, so I don't have a routine down, but went to bed pretty early b/c we had to leave the house around 4:30 am to get to Oxford and pick up my race packet at 5:45. My sweet husband gave me a massage and then I slept pretty well. On the way I had a banana and a Clif bar and tried not to over-drink water like I do when I get nervous. I had read a couple articles on setting up your transition area so I brough a bright towel, pre-opened that yucky energy gel and layed my clothes out in the order I planned to put them on...the forcast called for rain, so I did put everything in a white garbage bag and layed it on it's side. I have to admit, that I felt really stupid with my hybrid bike ( complete with kickstand!!) sitting next to all these fancy bikes! But, I kept telling myself - everybody has a first time and I am sure not everyone had a fancy bike when they started out!
Event warmup:

The swim is my best leg, so I stretched and warmed up in the pool about 300 meters. Used to swimming in a 25 yard pool, so this pool made me feel a little slow!
Swim
  • 07m 45s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt OK about the swim, it got a little congested and I had to pass about six men. think that flip turns really helped, b/c I could push off under people and the lane line to start the next lap. Hate that the run to the transition area counted in swim time...also hated to run with my white fleshy thighs exposed!!!
What would you do differently?:

nothing really, pick up the pace a little, settle down and breath every 4 or 6....got nervous and caught myself breathing ever 2 for a while
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Thew on my spandex shirt with a built in bra for support...had pre-pinned my number to the front and while stretching it over my head, it popped off and I had to waste time to re-pin on the number. Forced down a little of the energy gel ( yuck) and some water...I'm still a little unsteady on the bike, so I would rather do it at transition than fumble around on the road.

buy a race belt for the number
Bike
  • 1h 00m 19s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 12.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok - to me the bike is just the necessary evil between the swim (love) and the run (like). I bought a used hybrid 20 days before this race and started practicing around the neighborhood and then the little miami bike trail and then, after I saw the course and freaked out a bit ( b/c of the hills), started practicing on the stationary bike at the Y and doing some "hill work" (using that term very loosely!) on the back country roads near my home. Was really scared I would have to push my bike up the first hill and I did, but to my pleasant surprise, 6 other people had to do the same thing. I had low expectations for the bike leg and I must have heard " on your left" 70 times!!! B/c I know so little about cycling, I think I must have shifted into low gear too quickly on 2 of the hills, b/c TWICE my chain came off and I had to stop and put it back on. Now that I have the triathlon "bug" I have to save my pennies and purchase a real bike and learn the basics!!!

I had no expectations for the bike leg, so for what little time I had to get ready, I would say nothing....I just need more education about cycling
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I got back to the transition area and felt so happy that i was 2/3 of the way through. There was no room at all on the rack for my bike, so I just tried to place it sideways at the end of the line. Got some more gel and water, and started the run. I felt like I was in and out of there, but my time says otherwise, esp. since I was already in my running shoes.
Run
  • 33m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not a fast runner and I had no plans to really push myself, as I was expecting to feel pretty wobbly after the bike. I did feel really slow for the first 1/4 mile and several people passed me, but then I got into a rhythm and before I knew it I was at the turn around. I tried to pick up the pace a little at the end, but it was hard to concentrate, b/c I kept looking for my husband and was actually getting a little emotional at the end.

pick up the pace and push myself a little harder
Post race
Warm down:

oops...didn't do anything to warm down!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

little cycling knowledge, heavy bike,

Event comments:

I could not have been more pleased at the outcome for my first triathlon. I thought M.U. and HFP did a great job and I actually felt less nervous than I did with my 1st "splash and dash". I did not have any expectations except that I wanted to finish under 2 hours, and I did! The campus is a great place to host a race and I think having the swim leg in the pool is great for a newbie! I am so excited that I did it and now I wonder what I was so anxious about prior to the race!!

Last updated: 2008-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:45 | 400 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 108/538
Performance: Good
Suit: Nike competition suit
Course: 8 laps serpentine, with a racer starting every 3 seconds
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:19 | 12.43 miles | 12.36 mile/hr
Overall: 449/538
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: I thought this course was really hilly, especially for someone not on a lightweight road bike and little experience cycling.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:35 | 03.11 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 484/538
Performance: Average
Course: Nice and flat through the quad...didn't like having to step up and off sidewalks, but certainly prefer them to hills!
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-20 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2008-04-20 10:48 PM
in reply to: #1350479

User image

Prosper, TX
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
Great job on your first tri! I'm originally from that area so the race caught my eye and I'm glad I read your report. Keep at it!!!!
2008-04-21 5:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Congrats and GREAT job! Looks like you and I had similar days (except our results in a couple events). We finished pretty close to each other. Maybe we form a team and you take the swim, I'll take the bike and we can both do the run!

That first hill was a killer!!!!!!!!!!!
2008-04-21 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Well done TRIATHLETE! I'm glad you had a good first time... this was a great race for beginners (it was my first last year).

CONGRATULATIONS
2008-04-21 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Congrats on your first race.
2008-04-22 12:28 AM

User image

Champion
congrats on a great first race!

this was my first race three years ago, and felt much as you did, only i didnt really know anything about the swim either!

I raced it this year on the other end of the scale (i was the guy in shorts with flames on them and nothing else), and it was a blast! HFP did another amazing job, and it was a great day out there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed