View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Charleston, South Carolina
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was an organized group ride (my first) and not really a race. Hubbie and I disagreed about doing this event while were were in Charleston. After a lot of digging, I figured out his apprehension was on how to get both bikes there. We travel locally with 2 bikes all the time...we just put the seat down and make our truckbed extra long. He didn't want to drive 5 hours like that. I worked it out in getting both bikes back there by taking off the front wheels on both bikes. Yay! I really, really wanted to take the bikes.

Putting the bikes back together was easy!
Bike
  • 1h 49m
  • 27.74 miles
  • 15.27 mile/hr
Comments:

When planning the trip up to Charleston, I'd searched & searched for trails to ride. The longest paved trail I found was only 3 miles . . . so I figured this group ride would be the way to go. Kind of expected road riding, but I figured they'd be back roads with little traffic. I was WRONG.

The way out was nice. I was a little unsettled about the cars on the road, but it was early and traffic was sparse. Felt GREAT that I was keeping up with some of the pack. Averaged over 15mph on the old bike....so that was awesome. Kept telling my husband that this must have been downhill the whole way!

We chose a 30 mile segment, but the turn-around/pit stop came a bit early.
Met a underwater hunter from Stuart, FL. The thing that sucked was that people left the pit stop alone, so there was no group to ride back with. I knew I'd find my way via Garmin map, but I was a little nervous about riding in the road all by myself. Got more worried as hubbie took off and it seemed like the way back was ALL uphill. And now, there was a LOT of traffic! Great.

I don't understand why folks think cave diving is so dangerous. I think road cycling is way more dangerous (and scary!) Forget this road riding stuff. . . . take me back to the caves where its safe!
Post race
Warm down:

Skipped the race party and headed to Whole Foods (I LOOOOVE that place!) and had a nice picnic at a local plantation.

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Biking
01:49:00 | 27.74 miles | 15.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: