General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Queensland Tri Series: Raby Bay Race 6 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Queensland Tri Series: Raby Bay Race 6 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brisbane, Queensland
Australia
USM Events
21C / 70F
Precipitation
Total Time = 55m 56s
Overall Rank = 263/719
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/53
Pre-race routine:

The goal for today was to have fun and not worry too much about my finishing time.
Event warmup:

It was cold and raining before the start so my warm up was spent crouching under a tent trying to stay dry and warm. When I eventually jumped into the water, I was shivering but the water actually felt warmer then the outside temp which was a nice surprise.
Swim
  • 07m 12s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

I swam around a bit and warmed up and waited for the start. I tried to keep to the inside of the course and managed to find a couple of feet to swim off which was great. I got out of the water and ran off to transition feeling pretty happy with my swim effort.
What would you do differently?:

The swim was fun and sticking to the inside worked well today. I also put some conditioner on my goggles last night which seemed to help stop them from fogging up.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was all good. I found my bike, stuck on my helmet, grabbed a couple of GU's and headed out of transition. Everything was very wet after the rain so I left my glasses as I wouldn't need them today.

Nothing
Bike
  • 31m 33s
  • 15 kms
  • 28.53 km/hr
Comments:

The bike leg was very slippery and I saw a few people who had come off and one person being carried off in an ambulance. I took it fairly easy on the corners and had a bit of a scare at one stage as I felt my front tyre slip but luckily I stayed upright. I downed a GU after the second lap in readiness for the run.

My bike computer was playing up and recording some unbelievable speeds, I think at one stage it was showing my speed as 55k on a flat section?? Maybe the time has come for a new computer.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went well as I racked my bike, took off the helmet, put on my shoes and grabbed my number belt and hat and headed off out of transition.

Nothing.
Run
  • 17m 9s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 17s  min/km
Comments:

I was keen to run under 4.5 minutes per k so I started out pretty hard. I decided against taken any water on the run as it wasn't that hot today. I passed a few guys in my age group which is always nice.

My sessions with Pat's group have paid off as I'm really happy with today's time.
Post race
Warm down:

The race was over pretty quickly today and before I knew it I was enjoying a piece of watermelon and a Gatorade under the recovery tent. I had plenty of time to stretch while I watched the other competitors finish as my age group was one of the first waves to start.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having only 2 weeks of solid training after my 4 weeks off over March was always going to be a limiting factor on my performance so today was never going to be a pb.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed today and it was a great way to finish off the season. Now that the tri's are out of the way for the year, it's time to concentrate on my next goal, the Gold Coast marathon 6th July (what a birthday that will be).

Last updated: 2008-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:12 | 400 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/53
Overall: 517/719
Performance: Good
Suit: Optional
Course: It's a deep water start in a U shape.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:33 | 15 kms | 28.53 km/hr
Age Group: 29/53
Overall: 239/719
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 3 laps of a 5k course with a few hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:09 | 04 kms | 04m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 24/53
Overall: 235/719
Course: 2 laps of a 2k flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 1:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series: Raby Bay Race 6

2008-04-21 2:21 AM
in reply to: #1350592

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series: Raby Bay Race 6

Smoking run time! And your swim was fast too.
Glad you enjoyed it out there yesterday.
Nice way to finish off the season with a solid performance.

2008-04-21 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Fantastic race paul.  Glad you took it easy on the bike course.  O_O  It was more wet than Robina was!

Nah your bike computer's not playing up.  You're just that fast!  What a great way to end the season!   

2008-04-22 6:53 AM

User image

Brisbane, Queensland
great race in what sounds like awful conditions.that awesome run should spur you on for GC
2008-04-23 3:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Great race Paul!  nice way to finish up the season (is that the last race for the season over there?)

I'm jealous of your run time thats great.

and my bike computer does that when there's alot of water on the road.  apparently in the half I at one stage clocked 89k's on the flat! yep I'm awesome.  the water seems to mess something up with the sensors esp if its a wireless computer.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Queensland Tri Series: Raby Bay Race 6 Rss Feed