General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash, Flash & Dash Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Splash, Flash & Dash Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carmel, Indiana
United States
Carmel Swim Club
48F / 9C
Total Time = 1h 05m 20s
Overall Rank = 103/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00 AM had a bowl of oatmeal and bannana and a couple cups of coffee. Loaded the bikes on the truck, through our bags in the back and wife and I were out the door a 10 after 6. Drove through rain to arrive in Carmel by 7:30.
Event warmup:

I did absolutely nothing besides walk around and look at how other people set up their transitions so I could copy. I had no idea what was going on.I thought it was kinda cool in a weird way to be running around in only my tri shorts on a kind of a cold morning. It was like a big pool party.
Swim
  • 07m 35s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I found the every 5 second start kinda interesting.
What would you do differently?:

Listen to my self. Use the first 50-100 to get in the groove and then hit it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

I went up the ladder in the pool instead of doing the manly thing and hopping up because I WAS TIRED. I walked out of the building and when I saw the crowd and felt the cold I started running, (acting like I have done this 100 times before) Made it to my bike, rolled on my socks (no problems) put on my Tri-Shirt (kinda hard since I was wet) through on a long sleeve shirt since it was cold, put my Halo on, helmet sunglasses and took off with my bike. I had my shoes on the pedals and hit the mount perfectly.

Probably, at least a slow trot right out of the pool. Maybe even try the manly hop out of it.
Bike
  • 29m 51s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I was on and going in no time. My wife and I had purchased new bikes and mine had 70 miles on it and it was, to date, the best purchase I have made in my new TriLife.The bummer part was that my cadence thing wasn't working so I just went. I passed quite a few people here. Maxed at 28 mph so I kept a fairly even pace through out. The bike part was the most fun out of all of them.

Do some bike specific workouts as opposed to just riding.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The T-2 time is included in the run time, so I am not so sure on how I did. I definately messed up the part of taking my feet out of my shoes and riding to the dismount. However, it gave the crowd something to snicker about. Ha, Ha on me. Ran with the bike to my rack, racked it, slipped on my shoes, took off my helmet and pulled off my long sleeve shirt. That all went fairly fast, but since I have a calf injury I had to wrap a splint thing around it which took a little additional time.

Skip the calf wrap (if I wasn't injured) and concentrate more on my dis mount.
Run
  • 25m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I am a runner and this was by far my worst performance ever due to my injury. I had an MRI done on Friday but the results have not came back yet so no one said not to do it, therefore I did it and boy did it hurt. Enough whining. If I was healthy, this would of been a very nice course and I would have put up a fast time due to the perfect weather conditions and the adrenaline of knowing I am about to become a Triathlete. That in itself is what got me through the run.

Not be injured and work on stretching out my calf while on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

I actually did no warm down either. What a day....No warm up, race and no warm down. Thats weird. I put my ankle band in the red bucket and cheered for the other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My calf injury

Event comments:

For my first triathlon, this was Da Bomb. I absolutely loved it and am looking forward to competeing in many more. Winning the newbie award for my age group was also special. The best part.......Cheering my wife on to her first Tri finish.

Last updated: 2008-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:35 | 437 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
It seemed like it took forever before it was my turn to start, and I had been telling myself to not go out hard. Go easy, go easy, go easy!!!! So I took off about as hard as I could go and by the end of 300 I was ready to throw the towel in. So much for listening to me. I did pass a few people and was humbled by some dude that flew by me and hit a perfect flip turn. I was impressed.
Suit: Tri-shorts
Course: 50 meter serpentine route in a pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:51 | 10 miles | 20.10 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Kind of an out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:13 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Some slight hills at the beginning and then a relatively flat course through some neighborhoods
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 8:59 AM

User image

Regular
Lafayette Indiana
Subject: Splash, Flash & Dash Sprint Triathlon

2008-04-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1350940

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
Subject: RE: Splash, Flash & Dash Sprint Triathlon
Way to go TRIATHLETE!!

Nice Race Report. Hey, don't feel bad about using the ladder to hop out of the pool,
I did it too (but was also kinda sidetracked by that point). No sense in banging a knee into the edge ya know.

Of 178 First Timers that Finished (of the 250 that supposedly started), you placed at #16 !!
edit: And you WON your AG

Keep up the good training routine, but take care of that Calf first.

Hope to see you and your wife again at other events this year.

Edited by G-Moose 2008-04-21 9:15 AM
2008-04-21 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Great job yesterday!  Way to fight through the calf injury.  And thanks for the shout on the bike.  I heard you but it took a second to realize that someone was shouting for me!
2008-04-21 9:59 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Congrats on the race and the great finish time. Hope you heal quickly from your calf injury. Good luck with your racing for the rest of the year. I hope to see you all again here next season.
2008-04-21 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1351142

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am really proud of you! You are a very talented athlete, I mean come-on, you placed 10th in your age group overall, with an injury!! I hope that we have lots of years of enjoying our new adventure!!
2008-10-22 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

This is my first post, I have never done a triathlon, but have been working toward one. ANYWAY, I was randomly reading race reports and read your's.  Had to say "GREAT JOB", how cool to win an award!!!

Thanks for sharing this report and congrats again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Splash, Flash & Dash Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed