Florabama
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 54s
Overall Rank = 4/311
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and walked the dog. We were staying with JC and Joey's Parents in Gulf Breeze, so we had a bit of a drive. I roamed around the house and got ready while eating a piece of cinnamon swirl toast. Then we stopped by BK and I got a chicken biscuit and a coffee.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site about an hour early. We parked and then got our packets. Body marking was very efficient I must say. Finally, we got our bikes to the racks. It was open racking, so we were lucky to get our bikes near each other. The only problem with open racks is that people tend to take up too much room. Towards the end, some people had to lay their bikes on the ground because there was no rack room.

Walked over to the start and watched the first two waves go and decided to start about 30' to the left of the buoy. I chose to NOT touch the water for fear of it being too cold. I figured I didn't want to know until it was to late.
Swim
  • 08m 39s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Man, the waves were in full force for this one. The first time I felt the cold of the water was as I jumped in. I ran about 5-6 steps and was able to start duck diving fairly well. I had a really good line to the buoy and noticed my other blue cap'd friends to my left. The problem was that it seemed they were moving and I wasn't. I'm thinking to myself if I am in a rip current or something. Just as I think about this, I notice a wave about to drop right on top of me. I managed to dive under it just in time.

Now I saw a sand bar about half way out, so I was anticipating having to stand up and continue on. So when I saw a guy to my right stand up, I figured...sand bar. At the same time, here came a wave. So, Dan being the smart one, decides he's going to use the sand bar as a spring board and jump the wave. One slight problem...when I went to feel the sandbar with my feet...NOTHING! Now I'm vertical with a wave on top of me. Lucky for me, I managed to barely duck under the wave and it probably took me back about 10 feet.

Finally, I got to the turn buoy and then it was great. I was tracking very smoothly and only had to adjust course once. I really worked on gliding but didn't feel like I was really pushing the pace. Most people seemed to be out to my left, so I never ran into anyone until I was heading to shore.

As I rounded the last buoy, I spotted my friend James from the wave before holding up his can of Bud. Yes...he's swimming with one arm carrying a can of Budweiser! This is Mulletman afterall. So I yell at him and continue on. I tried to body surf the waves in, but ended up caught in more backward troughs than anything else.

First OWS of the year and it went well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Other than not trust the sand bar to be there.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I had stashed my sandles before the rocks of transition, but just ran through the rocks. What's a little pain for some seconds off your time right. I got to my area and felt like I was there forever. Nancy asked me if I had one or two ham sandiches while I was there. I did put my shoes on there vice on the bike. This was because of the sand and rocks I figured it would be better.

Also, size L Balega socks are bigger than M. Go figure! Next time, I'll get the right size.

First race, so just need more Transition practice.
Bike
  • 41m 24s
  • 17 miles
  • 24.64 mile/hr
Comments:

As I settled into the bike, I could feel the weeks workouts. My legs were fatigued. I focused on my cadence and never looked at speed. I remembered Ken (Manatee Express) telling me to stay out of the bike lanes, so I stayed in the road. It was best because I was passing people left and right. Well, on the left to be exact.

I was not expecting the bridge at mile 2. I dropped to my small front ring and churned up it. The wind made it's presence known from time to time. The weird thing was that although the wind was constant, the course changed so you kept feeling the wind from different angles.

As I approached a cop in the road, I had to ask them if this was the turn around. Some kids on the right shook their heads yes. I would have have liked to at least see a cone. But it was no matter. I turned and started heading back the other way. I cheered the guys and girls on the other side especially as they were climbing up the bridge. I don't think they expected that because they all looked at me weird. Maybe I should have just yelled, "Wheee"

I felt relaxed during the bike and just focused on riding the new bike. I think it did well on it's inaugural race for me. The most dissapointing thing about riding a disc wheel in Florida....

No Whoomp Whoomp sound!! How sad. I only heard it once and that was when I was climbing the bridge the second time. VERY sad I was.

Nothing. I had a good ride and had fun.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

I got my bike on the rack quickly. But then I kind of froze. Do I put my mullet on and then shoes? Or shoes and then Mullet? After what seemed like an eternity, I decided shoes and then Mullet.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 47s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the fun began. As I ran out of Transition, I was putting my Mullet wig on. I heard a couple of people say, "What the Hell is that?". I screamed, "Who's Sexy?" and then people just started screaming. I was total business in the front and party in the back for this run.

I left transition right on the heels of a guy that was moving. I knew this was my chance to work on my run and mental game. It is severely lacking. I think the fact that I had on a Mullet made him run harder than he would have normally btw. So I pass him about a 1/2 mile into the run. He settled in right behind me and I am blocking the wind for him. I think to myself, "Dumn A$$, you should have sat behind him and done that". But alas, can't now. I am determined to not let him pass me. He surges on me and I surge back. This is really starting to hurt and my Mullet is getting really HOT.

Just as we get under the bridge, he surges again and I can't counter. I tried to stay close and not let the elastic break. But in about a 1/2 mile, he has openned up at least a 30 sec gap on me. I try not to get discouraged because I know I started 3 min behind him, but more so that I don't get lazy and slow down. Next thing I hear a soft sound of feet. Then louder and louder. This guy was cruising up on me. When I knew he was right behind me, I put my hand out and said, "Nice run man". He smacked my hand and kept trucking. I think he put about a minute on me in the last 1.5 miles. I closed the gap on #800 to about 10 seconds. I crossed the line 4th.

I really worked on staying consistant for the run. My goal time was 26 min and I was shocked to see I went under 25 min.

The last 1/4 mile was great. The spectators were lined up and they all loved the Mullet. Honestly, who wouldn't?? The best part of this race was that I finally got to cross the finish line with Nancy. She was about 100 meters from the line and I told her to come on. She has never done this because she doesn't want to get me DQ'd. But since it was a small race and honestly, it didn't matter, she ran with me. Finally, I got to cross the finish line with my IronSherpa.

She managed to keep up with me in bare feet. Very impressive.

Nothing. Maybe put some vents in the Mullet.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted up the guy that I 'battled' with and actually he was parked right next to me. He said he couldn't let someone with a wig on out run him. I agreed.

I went back out on course and cheered on the other runners and bikers. I also wanted to see how my fellow Mullet Mafia members were doing.

After a while, the Mafia members went for a 2 mile cool down run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wearing a Mullet Wig. But it's now my Lucky Mullet Wig!!

Event comments:

There were a total of 4 us of wearing Mullets for this race. JC won the female overall and James was by far the BEST Mullet Man ever! Why? Here's why:

He flew in from Ca the day before so I let him ride the C'dale Slice. Not having bike shoes, we put flat pedals on the bike (it's a sin...I know). Well, he didn't want to have the pedals cut into his running flats, so he decided he was going to ride in sandals. That's right...Sandles! It get's better. Apparently, as he was riding (with his budweiser can in the Bento box) he passed a guy on a P3C with a disc wheel and aero helmet. The guy looks over and said, "Oh FU$% NO. I don't think so". The guy takes off and James ends up passing him a couple of miles down the road. Did I mention that he also had on the mullet under the helmet?

So he swam one armed holding the beer out of the water. Then he biked with the beer in sandals and a mullet on. Finally, he ran with the beer and stopped to pose for Nancy at the finish line. You can't beat that. He finished 125th overall.

The post race activities were great. Food was awesome, beer was good and the people were so friendly. I would recommend this triathlon to anyone wanted to have fun on a beautiful course.

Finally, the Mullet Mafia rolled out after the awards and many requests for pictures.

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:39 | 400 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 10/311
Performance: Good
Suit: One piece A3S uniform
Course: Out 50 meters against the waves (2 breaks) 300 across and 50 back. I think the course was long, but it was long for everyone.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:24 | 17 miles | 24.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/32
Overall: 2/311
Max speed - 36.6 mph Cadence - 93 avg
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back with a bridge just short of mile 2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:47 | 04 miles | 06m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/32
Overall: 10/311
Course: Out, under the bridge and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Mullet Man Triathlon

2008-04-21 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1352311

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: Mullet Man Triathlon
Glad to see you don't  always  take this stuff so seriously Dan.  Good work, uh effort, uh mullet ;
2008-04-21 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Great job Dan.  I didn't realize that you were there until after the race.  My wife got a great shot of Nancy and James.  It cracked me up when they were telling me about it and Ken said "yeah thats Dan's group - you know, Marvarnett".

I was like - "Wait - from BT?"

2008-04-21 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
It was great meeting you and watching you fly. As the race historian, I can tell you, you are the highest ranking finisher to ever don a mullet on the run. I think the previous record holder was 223rd and I think he put it on for the last mile. It was also great to see some what at your competitive level out there encouraging folks and generally having a great time. You really demolished that bike course too, the only reason you didn't hear the whoop was that you were traveling in excess of the speed of whoomp. Oh, I think I know someone who can put a mullet on your aero helmet next time you come down.

Hope to see you racing down here again.
2008-04-21 10:43 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Great job Dan, nice run split coming off the bike
2008-04-22 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Excellent job Dan - love the RR as always!  Since that's your lucky mullet, I assume you'll be wearing that for St. Croix? Laughing

Love the story about James - definitely the Ultimate Mullet Man!

2008-04-22 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
HAHAHAHA Who's sexy???

Sounds like you had a blast at this race and kudos to your friend for swimming with a beer.

Shanks
2008-04-22 8:56 AM

User image

Expert

A good race AND a mullett???  The rest of your season is going to be a let down now that you've started on such a high note  Of course, there is that little St. Croix race.  It might be fun too.

2008-04-22 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1353960

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
TriForrestTri - 2008-04-22 9:56 AM

A good race AND a mullett???  The rest of your season is going to be a let down now that you've started on such a high note  Of course, there is that little St. Croix race.  It might be fun too.

I hope I remember to have this much fun at all the races.  I do think I will take the mullet with me to races.  Just for the fun factor.  And it even matches my Uniform!!

2008-04-22 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1352346

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Kick azz race.  Congrats on the overall top 5 and winning your AG!
2008-04-22 11:46 PM

User image

Melon Presser

You rock!!! Damn, will I get faster if I wear a mullet?

Great race--of course you are super speedy, but thanks most of all for keeping it fun. You're the best! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mullet Man Triathlon Rss Feed