General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameriprise Financial Spring Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ameriprise Financial Spring Training - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek, Florida
United States
Multirace
Total Time = 1h 11m 15s
Overall Rank = 162/221
Age Group = Clyde 225, 40+
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Have been having some nasty back issues this week and was in alot of pain even last night. Seems I have a rib that's been "out" and has been causing some radiating pain around my rib cage which has made breathing a bit uncomfortable since expanding the rib cage (with a cough or a deep breath) really hurt. Racing was a game time decision and although it was tender in the morning, I felt OK enough to give it a go figuring 3-4 Advil would be enough to get me through. So loaded up the car, popped the vitamin I and set out.

En route to venue, could NOT get motivated or find any edge. Half way there contemplated turning around and heading home. Called GF to explain the feelings and she encouraged me to HTFU and push on, so I did. Little Billy came with and we met GF at the venue. Clif bar and water on the way.
Event warmup:

Once T was set up, only had 15 mins. until start. Thankfully I was in the last wave so while waiting for other waves, did 15-20 wind sprints to get the HR going a little.
Swim
  • 10m 19s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Polo stroked the first 50 and then went to normal stroke. Felt OK, but still not a great swim. Flipped over twice for about 20 seconds per to catch breath and get HR down. It seems I have a chronic problem with HR spike during the first 200+ of any swim except of course in the pool where it doesn't count. Had I swam at training pace, I would have been at 9:00 so I only gave up 1:19 which I'm OK with. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give the swim a solid 7.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Walked through T1 since my HR was spiked when I got out of the water. Still pretty good time.
Bike
  • 31m 17s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

They changed the course this year so there were alot more corners and turns than last year which should explain why my avg. was .3 mph slower this time around. Still, 19+ is a great race pace for me. I found myself slipping way out on the nose of my saddle quite a few times and having to scooch back. Not sure if it was the new tri suit or what...strange. I saw my primary competition on the course and he had about 3 mins. on me on the first loop and then about 3:30 on the second. I kept trying to catch up to him but he was outpacing me. Rib cage was starting to twinge and hurt a bit at mile 7 and wasn't sure about the run but decided to go balls out for the last 3 miles and if I had to DNF on the run the so be it. Happy with the time and the average. Definitely room for improvement and will DEFINITELY hit 20 before the year is over.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Nothing special. Racked the bike, threw on the Sauconys, sucked down some Gu20 and headed out.
Run
  • 26m 20s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I left T2, I felt real heavy and my back was twinging up. I stopped after about 300 yards and gave it a quick stretch and got my HR down; then HTFU and pushed on. I saw my competition making the turn at the 1/2 mile mark and thought "sh*t, he's out there". But no sooner did I think that when I saw him stop and walk about 50 yards before starting again. I thought if that was his race, I might catch him and earn a podium spot. He became my rabbit and I kept him in my sights. I hit the 1/2 mile mark at 5:30; an 11 min pace. For some reason this pissed me off so I picked up the pace determined to catch my rabbit and to have a respectable run despite the discomfort. By the 1.5 mark I had him in my sights and by mile 2 I caught him and passed him. I finished the final 2 miles with a 10:15 pace and beat my competition by 3 mins. to finish 3rd in my AG...a podium spot!
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with junior and GF.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Back issues and a few extra pounds since last years race.

Event comments:

I was really happy with my perfomance considering how much pain I was in last night. Today was a lesson in HTFU, which I did, and have the hardware to show for it. Despite being 10 pounds heavier than last years race, I PRed the course by 20 seconds. Pretty damn good! I have 2 more races this season on this track and look forward to showing improvement as the season progresses.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:19 | 440 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 154/221
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca T-back
Course: Point to point
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:17 | 10 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 113/221
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops on closed course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:20 | 02.5 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 181/221
Performance: Good
Course: Single loop around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 4:52 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: Ameriprise Financial Spring Training

2008-04-21 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1352734

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ameriprise Financial Spring Training

Way to stick it out through the pain. Sorry missed you there. There were a lot of turns on this coarse. I decided to do it too last minute due to lack of training, but Im glad I did b/c I did better than I thought I would and picked up 3rd myself.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameriprise Financial Spring Training Rss Feed