United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 12h 08m 53s
Overall Rank = 435/2400
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 64/310
Pre-race routine:

WED:
I was suppose to fly from Dallas to Phoenix but American cancelled my flight.

THURS:
American got me on a United flight. I had to go from Dallas to San Francisco to Phoenix. I got there early enough to check into my hotel and head to the race site for the packet pick up. I ran into Tommy(zia cyclist) there. It was nice to see a familiar face. I headed back to the hotel and did a run in the park next to the hotel. After the run, I met up with my Mother. She got into town on Tues and hung out with some friends. On Thurs., she ditched them to hang out with her only son.

FRI:
I got up to attend the OWS. This was the first OWS I had done since Longhorn. Met up with Tommy, Jim(jkron), and Jamie(jpb0009). I worked on drafting but just could not get the hang of it. When I would try to get on someone's feet, I would end up swimming more crooked. At the end of the swim, I decided that I would just swim my own race. If I happened to catch a good draft, so be it. After the swim, I found Aaron(JeepFleeb), Jess(Tri Take Me Away), and Chippy(Ummm...Chippy).

Next I had to head to the airport to pick up Conner. This was the first of many tearing up episodes. I was just so glad that my teenage daughter was wanting to be a part of something that meant so much to me. After dropping Conner off at Grandma's room, I met up with Tommy to drive the bike course. After driving the course, we stopped at the Shell station to do a 30 min ride. We just road at a pace that I was planning on doing for the first lap of the race. The wind was only about 10 mph and at our backs going out on the Beeline. We averaged 19.5 mph and all I could think of was how I could stay in zone 1, for the entire bike, and average over 19 mph. It made me giddy. Little did I know.

Then it was back to the airport to pick up Jen(jah2212). My sister, Alyson, and her husband, Marshall, also got in that afternoon. Finally, my sister, Lori, got in that evening. When Jen and I got back to the hotel, she gave me a card from her Brother(TeeCris),SIL(Tri-Z), and the 3 kids. The kids also made up a poster for me. It really touched my heart and caused tearing up episode #2.

SAT:
Got up for the OWS again. This time I had my favorite jock-strapper, Jen, with me. Ran into Clint(jcbolton) as I was getting into the water. This time I just concentrated on trying to swim as straight as possible. Using the tempo trainer helped me to keep a nice even pace and I swam much straighter from landmark to landmark. After 30 min, I was content and exited the water. Finally, I found my favorite non-paste eaters Marcy(dodgersmom) and Steve(Doughboy).

Jen and I headed back to the hotel where she did a run while I did a 15 min bike and a 10 min run in the park. Then, it was back to the hotel room to get my bike, T1 and T2 bags ready to take to transition. It really helped to ease my mind by showing Jen everything I was doing. I felt confident that she would point out anything that did not seem right. So I got my bike dropped off and then we went back to get the rest of the clan to go to the BT pre-race dinner.

The dinner was great. A big thank you goes out to the people staying at the house for putting it on. It sure did help to calm my nerves to be around people doing the race.

After the dinner, we headed back to the hotel to call it an early evening. Before going to bed, Jen helped me put together my special needs bags. I had debated about putting an extra tire in the bike special needs. After both Marcy and Steve flatted on a ride on the Beeline, I decided to pack an extra tire. I ended up getting in bed around 9:00pm.
Event warmup:

I had the alarm set for 3:30am. When it went off, I felt totally rested. I got up right away and started getting ready. I had a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast and took a salt capsule(salt stick cap) at 4:30. The whole family wanted to leave with me so we all met at the car at about 4:45am.

I was surprised how few people were there at 5:00am. That is just how I am. I like to get to a race early so I do not feel rushed. I went to transition to pump up my tires and set up my hydration on the bike. Next, I dropped off my special needs bags and then I went to my T1 bag to add a towel to it.

The next hour just seemed to fly by. I did a lot of nervous walking around back and forth to my bike, talking with my crew, and one stop at the bathroom. I went over to Mike Riley and gave him a note on how to pronounce my name. We chatted for a little and he told me that he had it taken care of. At 5:30, I took another salt capsule. As I walked around, I would get hit with these little waves of emotion. Every 5-10 minutes I would get hit with one of these waves and start to tear up. During this time, I went to get bady marked. The volunteer asked me if this was my first IM. I told him yes and he said that he had been right every time so far. He told me that I did not look nervous and I must be well prepared. As I walked back to my crew, the interest that the volunteer took in me really hit. The water-works came on big time. I get back to my crew and tears are just pouring down my face. Of course, they are wondering what is wrong and I have to explain what happened at body-marking. I can barely get the words out I am so emotional at that moment.

I get calmed down and it is time to get my wetsuit on. Although, my GI tract is telling me I have to make one more trip to the bathroom. The line is long as hell and I am getting very nervous about getting my business done and getting in the water in time. I just tried to stay calm assuring myself that everything would be OK. Before I started putting on my wetsuit, I called Jen to let her know the situation. I knew the crew was going to be nervous about where I was. After getting the wetsuit on, I took one gel and another salt capsule. I got back to the crew with about 10 minutes to the start. Big hugs and tears before heading to the water. I was able to work my way up to about 5 rows back on the far right side.
Swim
  • 1h 14m 13s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got to my starting spot with about 2 minutes to go. I set my tempo trainer at 1.15 and just waited for the canon. Did someone say that the swim start of an IM is like swimming in a washing machine? I totally agree. The first 100 meters is survival of the fittest. You swim over people and you get swum over. My goal was to just keep moving forward. After about 400 meters, it seemed to let up a little. I would catch some pockets where I did not touch anyone, but then suddenly I would be banging into other bodies. Swimming out it was pretty tough to site. The sun was directly in my eyes. I mainly sited the other swimmers when I would breathe to my left. I did a great job of slowly making my way to the left of the course. By the time I was 2/3 of the way to the turn-around I had made it to about 20 meters from the bouy line. At the turn-around, it got pretty congested again. It basically turned into survival of the fittest again until I rounded the second red bouy. It is amazing how much better you can see without the sun glaring in your eyes. The whole way back I stayed about 20 meters from the bouy line. I mainly sighted the other swimmers on the way back. The orange bouys made is so I only had to look forward slightly, when breathing, to see them. I was extremely pleased with how few course corrections I had to make. I expected the swim back to go faster than the out and to be congestion free. I do not know how my out and back compared, but it seemed like I got to the turn-around a lot faster than it took me to get back. On the way back, I had more time of swimming alone but there were still times that I seemed to run into a pack of 4-5 bodies all of a sudden. What a wonderful site the last red bouy was. I turned and headed for the steps. This is when I started kicking my legs more to get some blood to them. I sighted a little more often just to stay in line with the steps. As I got close, I spotted the steps with no swimmers on them. As the volunteer helped me out, I got a minor leg cramp but it went away as soon as I stood up.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I can think of is to get some darker tinted goggles for swimming into the sun. Other than that, it could not have gone better.
Transition 1
  • 05m 58s
Comments:

I went to the back of the line for a stripper. Since I wear a two piece suit, I took off my cap and goggles and let them fall to the ground. I took off the top myself then took off the suspenders and dropped to the ground were the stripper got the bottoms off quickly. I grabbed my stuff and it was off to the transition tent. It seemed like about half the people were walking to transition. I had to weave around them because I was doing an easy run. I got my T1 bag and noticed that there were a lot of people changing before they even got into the tent. I had heard about the tent being crowded, but I wanted a chair to sit down on so into the tent I went. Sure enough, at first glance all the chairs were taken. Then I spotted several empty chairs on the far end of the tent. I sat down and started doing my thing. I swam in my bike shorts so I did not have to change my shorts. Thank god I put a towel in my T1 bag. My feet were totally covered in dead grass. I made sure I got them cleaned off really good then got my socks and shoes on. This is when a volunteer came up to help me. He was great. He pulled everything out and handed it to me. When I was ready to go, he told me to just leave everything and he would pick it up. So it was off to row 44 to get my bike. I was expecting a volunteer to have my bike at the end of the road, but not so much. No problem, got my bike and ran with it across the mount line.

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 23m 11s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.54 mile/hr
Comments:

As I got on the bike, I hit my lap button and was very pleased to see 1:20 for my swim and T1. The first part was a no pass zone as we road through a narrow path to the street. The path was lined with people, but they were not making enough noise for me. I started waving my right arm around, like I was Pete Townsend, to get the crowd to make more noise. We hit the street and SURPRISE, SURPRISE it was windier than anyone expected. I just thought to myself that I am used to riding in the wind and it was going to have to be everyone elses problem(thank you bryancd). I was trying to get my HR down to the first lap target and was not having any luck getting there. My target was to keep it at 129 or lower. I decided to switch my computer display so that it would not show my speed. I finally got my HR down about 10 min in and it was time to start my nutrition. The plan was 200 calories/hour of GU2O in the aerobottle, 1 GU every 30 minutes and 1 salt capsule every 30 minutes. At each aid station, I was planning on getting a bottle of water to wash down the GU packs and get the extra hydration that the heat was going to require. I did two things to help keep me in the moment and to remember to enjoy the day. I wrote the word "SMILE" on my aerobottle and I wrote "TECH" on my left hand and "NIQUE" on my right hand. Whenever I would drink I would be reminded to enjoy the day, and whenever I shifted gears, the word "technique" would reminded me to stay in the moment. I have never, ever been passed by so many as I was on the way out to the turn-around. On the way out, I made a new friend. His name is small chain ring. During the entire ride, I spent more time in the small ring than I have over the past year. It was easy not to get tempted to pick up the pace because I had Marcy's voice in one ear and Steve's in the other ear telling me "Do not eat the paste". Over the course of the ride, they easily reminded me of this over 100 times. Early in the ride, I realized that I did not pee on the swim so I would be getting the urge soon. On the Beeline, I tried to do as much legal drafting as possible on the way out. At the turn-around, it was like heaven. I even asked the spectators if it was heaven. The ride down the Beeline was probably the most enjoyable riding I have ever done. With the wind at my back, it was easy to ride fast and keep the HR in control while being in the hardest gear. I do not know if most people pushed too hard going to the turn-around but I passed a lot of people, while hardly being passed, on the way back into town. Finally, I recognized another athlete as I saw Steve going out as I was coming back into town. As I got back to the race site, my crew was easy to spot with their gold t-shirts. It was a shot of energy to see them. After the Mill Street turn-around, it was back to see my crew again and I gave Jen a high five as I went by. Several times, during the first lap, I stood up to pee. Unfortunately, it just was not happening. I told myself that I was probably going to have to over fill my bladder before it was going to happen.

Heading out for lap 2, you could tell that the wind had picked up. Again, no problem for me. I had ridden in much windier conditions during my training. For lap 2, I let my HR go up to 133. Legal drafting was a big player going out of town. I saw Steve again as he was going down the Beeline. What the Hell! Were is everyone else? About half way out to the turn-around, my bladder was so full the dam finally broke. The problem was that I could not maintain enough momentum to truely empty my bladder. I would stand up to pee, but then sit down to pedal. Once I sat down, the valve turned off. However now that I had popped my "peeing on the bike" cherry, it flowed free and easy. I must have peed five times on the second lap. It was especially enjoyable riding down the Beeline where I could totally empty my bladder. Three hours into the bike and I was out of my Gu2O and the Special Needs is still 30 minutes away. I had three bottles mixed up in my SN bag. I thought this might happen but had not really thought about it. Luckily, the next aid station was only a couple miles up the road. I took one bottle of Gatoraide and one bottle of water. I mixed them half and half, in my aerobottle, and proceeded on. I have no idea what the nutritional content of the Gatoraide Endurance is but I just did what made sense to me. It worked great and then I filled up at Special needs. The volunteer at SN asked me what I needed and I told her that I need everything but the tire. She said, "There is not a bike tire in here". She opened it up for me to see and sure enough there was not a tire in there. Were the F*ck did my tire go? Glad I did not need it. I probably was not stopped for more than a minute to put on the bottles and replenish the gu packets. Back at the race site, I gave my crew the "Miss America" wave on the first pass and then they got the "Pete Townsend" wave as I headed back out. Funny thing is that during the wave, on the way back out, is when my HR spiked at 145. Oops, need to settle down.

So just one more lap. One more time going up the Beeline. After 2 laps, I knew that a six hour bike ride and some of my time goals were not going to happen. I could not have cared less. I was having a great time and I was going to continue to follow my plan and have a great time. During the 3rd lap I let my HR go up to 137. 138 is the top of my zone 2. The entire time I had been right on schedule with my nutrition and I was feeling really good. I told myself to continue with my plan. That is why I was feeling so good and there is still a long day ahead of me. The wind felt like it had died down for the 3rd lap, but it still really affected you going out. Going out, I saw Steve again. He was walking his bike so I pulled over to see if I could help. He told my that he had problems with flats and to go ahead and race my race. Unbelievable, I see Steve three times and not another soul the entire bike. The only other noteable note was that I almost got hit by scrapnal. I was coming up on a girl and it was like a small water balloon exploded from underneath her. As I pulled up, to her, I told her that she almost got me. I got a very embarrassed laugh out of her. The turn-around was HEAVEN. Now all I have to do is cruise to the dismount line. The entire way back into town felt great because I knew I had set myself up to have a good run. My crew got a huge fist pump as I passed them and then I repeated it as I went through the no pass zone to the dismount line.

Not one single thing.
Transition 2
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

The first part of T2 is really a blur. I really do not remember handing off my bike or getting my bag. I think I went to the exact same chair that I used in T1. I had a volunteer with me right away. I took off my bike shoes and started to put on my running shoes when the volunteer held up a pair of running shorts and asked me if I needed these. Ooops. Drop the bike shorts and put on the running shorts. I think this is when the volunteer got a whiff of my urine soak left lower half of my body. He really did not seem interested in helping me after that and asked if I needed him for anything else. I told him no and just took care of eveything myself. I left eveything on the floor planning on someone to pick it up.

Switch shorts before putting on my shoes. This was minor and only added 10 secs.
Run
  • 4h 20m 48s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my God! I just have a marathon to run and I am an IRONMAN! Oh my God....I have a marathon to run. I stopped outside of the changing tent to get more sunscreen and then I was off. My legs felt great to start the run. The only problem was that I could not run slow enough to get my HR down to 144. I wanted to keep my HR at 144 or below for the first 4 miles. I just decided to try to keep it as low as I could and keep running. I decided to use a fuelbelt and filled that up at the first aid station. I honestly do not know how people did the run only taking in water at each aid station. I made a point of drinking every 5 minutes and I was drinking twice as much as I did in my training. For nutrition, I took one GU gel every 20 minutes. Before I left Dallas, I had been reading the thread about the heat forcasted for race day. I knew it was going to be important to stay as cool as possible. I was planning on wearing my black Hawkeye visor, but scrapped that idea based on the thread. I went to REI to find a white hat to wear and also came across a product called the Kool Tie. It is a modified bandana that you wear around your neck. Contained in the bandana are pellets that swell up when they get wet. I picked up one of these also. They are two of the better investments I have ever made. The hat worked great for putting ice in and the Kool Tie did a great job of keeping my neck cool. Another idea I got off the thread was to put ice in your pants. So I brought along a small ziplock baggy to put ice in and then shove down my pants.

20 minutes into the run, I did not feel like taking a gel but I knew I had to stick to my nutrition plan. 4 miles into the run my plan called for me to let my HR get up to 148 until mile 20, then I was going to just go as hard as I could for the last 6.2 miles. I called an audible and turned off the HR beeper at mile four and just decided to go with what felt comfortable for the rest of the run. My mind set was to just get to the next mile marker. There were 3 short hills that I decided to walk up those and I walked the aid stations when I needed something. Otherwise, I wanted to run the rest of the way. There were times it seemed like 75% of the athletes were walking. I just wanted to keep running. My routine, at the aid stations, was to fill up my water bottles when needed, fill my hat with ice when needed, and fill up my crotch area baggy with ice when needed. Around mile six, I decided to start using the sponges to help cool me off. So at the aid station I grabbed two sponges, take off my hat, and squeeze them over my head. My first reaction was, "Why are they soaking the sponges in salt water"? It took about ten seconds before the light bulb went off and I realized that the salt taste was coming from me and not the sponges. The first lap went by pretty quick and my crew was positioned such that I saw them twice on every lap. The first time, I saw them, I had just filled up my bottles so I sprayed them with one of the bottles. I knew I was staying well hydrated because I also peed three times on the first lap. I never broke stride. I just let it fly.

As I started the second lap, I was thinking that there were only two laps to go. Soon into the second lap I came up on Steve and Marcy. Steve ran with me and gave me info on people because again I was not seeing anyone. Getting encouragement from him was a lift to my confidence. All I kept in my mind was to try and keep good form and just make it to the next mile marker. I was still keeping up with my GUs every 20 minutes. I guess I was around half way through the second lap when Clint comes running up beside me. I am like, were did you come from? He said I had just passed him. I must have been in one serious zone. It was great to see a new familiar face. We ran together and talked until the next aid station and then parted ways. At Special Needs, I restocked my gels and guess what was in the bag. MY BIKE TIRE! To this day, Jen and I can not figure out how it ended up in the Run SN bag. As I came back by my crew, for the second time on the lap, I saw Jen standing with Gina(grvfrog). I just had to slow down and give Jen a kiss. I totally caught her off guard. I just needed to show her how much I appreciated her support.

Ok, one lap to go. One more time through the parking lot. One more time up the hill under the bridge. One more time over the Mill Street Bridge. I could taste it but there was still work to do. When I hit mile marker 22, I stopped taking the GUs and just drank water and took some sips of coke at the aid stations. I knew than the next four miles were going to be the longest four miles of my life. Mile 23. The next three miles are going to be the longest three miles of my life. Mile 24. 2.2 miles to go. Mile 25. My legs sure do feel heavy but I am not slowing down. I hit the spot were I get to turn left to the finish line and I can hear the crowd. A volunteer tells me "Only .3 miles to go". .3 MILES TO GO, jeez that seems like a long way! I took a look behind me and there was no one in sight. I see the lights of the chute and all tightness just melts away from my legs. I got on this thin layer of air and my feet never touched the ground until I crossed the finish line. I saw the crowd to my right and the emotions took over. I gave them a fist pump and a yell. I turned to my left and there was my crew standing and jumping up and down. They were so easy to spot in the gold t-shirts. I gave them a fist pump and a yell. Apparently, Mike Riley initially pronounced my name wrong but then corrected himself. I did not hear a thing. I floated across the finish line with one last fist pump and yell.

Nada, Zero, Zilch
Post race
Warm down:

There was a volunteer there right as I crossed the line. He asked me how I felt and I said I feel great. Another volunteer came up and asked me what my shirt size was. My initial thought was, "Oh crap, if I do not get this question right they are going to send me to the med tent because I do not even know my shirt size". After a pause, I said medium. He took off and quickly came back with a finisher t-shirt and hat. Much internal laghter at that point.

Jen must have been shot out of a cannon to get to the finish area. I do not think it had been 15 secs since I finish and she was there. What a great site to see. They let her come back and I do not think I have ever hugged someone so tight before. I could not have asked for a better partner to share this experience with. Next I saw Steve and Marcy. They were the first ones to start the "Do not eat the Paste" mantra and I totally bought into it. I gave them hugs and told them how I could not have had the day I did without them. The rest of the family finally made it over and lots of hugs and tears. We were standing around talking when I started to feel crummy. I knew I needed to lay down so I found a grassy spot to lay down until I felt normal after about 20-30 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and the wind

Event comments:

In my day dreams I had imagined this day. It turned out even better than I had dreamed about.

Last updated: 2007-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:13 | 3862 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 141/310
Overall: 914/2400
Performance: Good
Ave HR = 129
Suit: Desoto
Course: 1 lap, out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:23:11 | 112 miles | 17.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 133/310
Overall: 810/2400
Ave HR = 131 Max Speed = 33.5 mph My bike computer read exactly 112 miles for the course.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 Loops. Basically it is a gradual uphill out of town and then a gradual downhill all the way back into town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:20:48 | 26.2 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/310
Overall: 304/2400
Ave HR = 142 Max HR = 164
Course: 3 wild *ssed, laps. The path just seemed to go all over the place. I really was not paying attention to the layout of the course. I was just moving forward.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 11:03 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2008-04-21 11:14 PM
in reply to: #1353601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona

my favorite part is that you went to the same chair for T2 that you had in T1. that is SO YOU! congratulations IRONMAN. i am more proud of you than i'll ever be able to articulate. you ROCKED IMAZ '08 with a smile the whole time. well done. congratulations.

oh, and your report made me tear up. you are very sweet!!

2008-04-21 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Awesome race and excellent time(s).

Perfect execution nailed down to a foundation of training.

Great work.

Good to have met you and Jen during race week.
2008-04-22 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
nice solid race on such a tough day. Great job!!!!
2008-04-22 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Texas
Congratulations Craig! You did really well man.

p.s. I'm calling you C.A.B. from here on out.
2008-04-22 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Craig,

You almost have me weeping out of happiness for you.  After reading so many other reports where nothing seemed to go right it's nice to read a success story.  I'm slowly trying to buy into the "don't eat the paste" philosophy myself.

You trained hard and it payed off.

You rock Ironman!!!!

Congrats.

2008-04-22 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! Great race! Properly executed and carried out! Made me cry a bit reading it.

I'm so ticked I NEVER SAW YOU out there! You passed me 6 times and I never saw you. WTH?

I probably didn't see you because you were moving as fast as a bullet!

Congratulations on becoming an IRONMAN!

And I'll have to remember your tricks for keeping cool! Kentucky is going to be a hot one!
2008-04-22 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
What an amazing job you did Craig! It sounds like everything was just perfect for you. Congratulations Ironman!

2008-04-22 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

it's really great to hear how well your day went.. you deserve a lot of credit for keeping with your plan and adjusting it out there in some harsh conditions..

really great job our there and way to represent us  40+ guys out there

2008-04-22 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Congratulations....Ironman.  You put together a great race plan and executed it well.  It was a tough race and one I'll remember for a long time.  You looked great when you passed me on the run...focused....just moving forward. 

BTW....I guess you realize you finished in the top 20% in your AG.  Great job.

TJ

2008-04-22 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Congratulations on a fantastic race!!! You definitely didn't eat the paste. You did awesome out there!

2008-04-22 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Congratulations on a great race!
2008-04-22 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I guess a race report this good is worth waiting for...

You are just amazing! I hope I can keep my wits and humor about me for all of my races like you did for this one. I am soooo happy for you. CONGRATULATIONS, IRONMAN!
2008-04-22 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
What a great report! What is it about these IM race reports that everyone has to tell me all about pee?!?!?!?! I am very impressed with your race, all of your many hours of training and planning certainly paid off and you ran an excellent race! Now welcome back to the world after IM training. Hope you are taking it easy and enjoying yourself, looking at your blog, it certainly looks like you aren't working out too hard!
2008-04-22 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Awesome race Craig!  Great report as well.  Thanks for posting all your pictures, they really captured your experience.
2008-04-22 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Man-o-Man, Craig.  You knocked this race out of the park!  Wow, what a performance, especially for your first.  You definitely have a future in IM, maybe even Kona!

12:08 in those conditions on your first attempt is nothing short of amazing.  Your run split is obviously the most impressive, simply incredible.  Plus, you had that perfect 2hr difference between your bike and run splits.  Perfect pacing, buddy, and it really paid off for you on the run, huh!

Great report and pictures too.  I like your comments on the ones on your blog too.

2008-04-22 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Great job Craig! You did an incredible job!
2008-04-23 5:25 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Great Job! I distinctly recall sputtering a little when they asked my shirt size at the finish..

Congrats and another step in the quest for immortality!
2008-04-23 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great report!  It really is a pleasure to have met you and raced with you that day.

Steve and Marcy in each ear.  That's great!  And you really had an incredible support crew out there.  Great job, Ironman!

2008-04-23 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I've been waiting to read your report.  Nice job capturing your days leading up to and, of course, the big event.  You conducted a disciplined race and it really shows in your time.  Congratulations on an awesome IM. 
2008-04-23 4:36 PM

New user
Delaware
Great report. I learned alot from reading it. Congrats!!!

2008-04-23 4:55 PM

User image

Elite
the desert
Awesome race report and congrats on your finish.  As someone volunteering out there, those conditions heading out to the Beeline were brutal. Great job!
2008-04-23 5:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Ironman!

Wonderful race report

I like how you executed your plan made adjustments needed and finished strong with your bike tire in your run sn bag too

Thanks for sharing your day with all of us...I learn some from every race report I read..today on my long ride I said don't eat the paste many times as I was going up hill very slow...that phrase has caught on and helped many of us. 

2008-04-24 3:03 PM

User image

Plano, Tx

CONGRATS! What an awesome race in those conditions! It was BRUTAL out there

2008-04-24 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Not much I can say that hasn't been said already! Very nice RR, I think I can learn a lot from this race by reading your report, amazing that someone stuck to the entire plan, way to go by not eating the paste!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed  

of 2