Albany Aquatic Association
35F / 2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 42m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Worked 65-70 hrs this last week, on nights. My "clock" is all screwed up. Tired yesterday, slept LATE (like 2:30), then unable to get more than 2 hrs sleep the night before the race... :(

Up @ 5:45 to find SNOW on the ground....(Wasn't it 80 degrees here this last weekend??) Decided to go up to Albany anyway and see if the race was on...

PB&J, diet pepsi, a bit o' coffee. Good tunes on the iPOD.
Event warmup:

Freezing,frozen rain and hail outside, so no bike/run warmup. Swam 150-200 yds in pool prior to heat-I was out of breath even doing that!
Swim
  • 15m 49s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Yikes! I think I forgot how to swim! Something about the whole race setting and having people follow me in a lane (and me worrying if I'm going fast enough) just wigs me out enough so I seem to forget everything I've worked on in swimming. I was also unusually tired; could only do flip turns half the time...

Oh yeah, and lets NOT forget the less than graceful pool exit...The bulkhead is about my shoulder height; after the swim I had NOTHIN' in my arms, basically landed on my gut and had to struggle to get legs up. (Ahoy, there, Cap'n, I think we got us a biggun!) At least I can laugh about it....along w/ all the other poor souls who witnessed it!!!
What would you do differently?:

Uh, maybe some longer sets in practices! I'm in serious need of endurance work, but my tedchnique seemed to fall apart too!!!
Transition 1
  • 05m 33s
Comments:

Given the weather, we had two transition sites--one in by the pool, the other out by the bike...LONG transition time, pulling on riding tights (over wet legs!), coat, ear wrap, blah, blah, blah...

I was grateful for the layers given the weather on the ride....
Bike
  • 47m 27s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 15.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Fortunately flat, but good grief what an obnoxious headwind, cross-winds, etc. Complete w/ rain, freezing rain, hail...Worst weather they've had for this race ever (28 yrs). Was thankful for the last leg of the square when the wind finally let up!

Need more power work, training in headwinds. Incredibly frustrating to be kept to 12.5 mph. Wind speed about 11 per weather.com
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Couldn't feel legs/feet, hands numb in transition.

Nothing I could have done...
Run
  • 32m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet/legs were numb after the bike, dealt w/ a cramp in my R sole through the first 1.5 miles. Thought my legs would come around after the first 10 minutes, but they never did...

They must have mismarked their distances, or I crashed & burned on the last 0.6 mi. By my watch I was about 9 min @ mi 1, 22 min @ 2.5 mi but my total run time was 32 min for a 5K???

That time I took off for my hip really took a toll on my pace...I need more tempo/endurance runs...
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around on track, protein bar & diet Pepsi. Caught up w/ Smack-Talking-Punk who did well, and Amy (who was about as happy w/ this as I was!).Cheered for Dirk who picked the most HEINOUS day to lose his tri virginity!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue, need more power and endurance training. Gonna look over my logs and figure out how to manage the weeks I'm working and how to avoid fatigue. Can't believe how tired I felt through the whole thing...

Went back to look over my logs; I seem to keep seeing the word "tired" often. I'm going to try to re-structure what I do/how much I train so I don't keep flogging and going backwards!

Despite everything above, this was the fastest swim pace (esp. for a pool) and my bike pace didn't suck as much as it could have. And, only finished 1:17 behind Amy, who's the long-term athlete in our group (last year @ a sprint I was >12 min behind her...). She'll have plenty of time to kick my ass even better later this season.

Event comments:

Times are approximate; transition times not broken down.

Lots of great volunteers, even in horrible weather.

Last updated: 2008-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:49 | 750 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri singlet
Course: short course in the pool. Shared the lane w/ 2 others who were faster than me.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:27 | 12.6 miles | 15.93 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Flat loop, not closed to traffic.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:04 | 03.11 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Course: Flat loop, nice scenery. Not closed to traffic; some goofy people.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 11:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun
Subject: Albany Sprint Triathlon

2008-04-22 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1353610

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Albany Sprint Triathlon

That's just wrong to do a race in those kinds of conditions.  You earn brownie points just for that. 

Booyah!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Albany Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed