BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2008-09-27 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1700358

User image

Fishers, IN
Subject: RE: Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!!

I think I am finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel so am starting to shake the funk I have been in.  I did a 5k today for the corporate challenge and did OK (18:26) not real fast but good enough to get the first for my AG/Division for my company so that was good.  I haven't raced any lately and really did not put it all out there so I am not totally happy with my effort.  I have a half marathon coming up that I hope to run and get some good benefit from a hard effort (I love 15k's and halfs for building stamina at LT) and then on to Clearwater.

Sorry to hear things aren't going all that well for you right now David, hope your ride goes well.  If you can accept it just as a learning experience and go in and have fun with it without expectation, that might be an option.  I've done that a few times and have while not necessarily PR'd have come away feeling good and having had a blast because of the lack of expectation.  I'm going to ride around 100 miles easy tomorrow with some friends if the weather is good.  I haven't done anything long for awhile so really need it.  Enjoy your ride tomorrow. 

2008-09-27 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1701048

User image

Champion
sounds like things are going well!

i am not sure i want to even ride, think it may be break time. i'll decide for sure on the race in a day or so, but even if i pull out now i am very happy with how the season went despite a few big injuries.

i ended up with 1 run, and 4 tri overall wins, and a lot of fun.

looking forward to some paintball and no serious training for a bit!
2008-09-28 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1701048

User image

Fishers, IN
Yeah, that was a pretty good year for you.  Today my friends didn't want to do the whole ride so we hit it pretty hard the last 15 miles or so but didn't get the planned 100.  It was a nice day.  The weekends are still great but trying to squeeze in all of the training during the week is getting old.  I can't wait for a break. 
2008-09-30 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1354430

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Hey guys! Finally back online after a long September. I have been swamped at work and at home. I just read the last couple pages trying to catch up and I think I'm about to add to our group's late season woes.

I was getting completely burned out with the marathon training and did my last long run on 8/30. It was 16 miles and I felt great mentally and cardiovascularly but my knee was trashed... averaged around 8:30/mi which was fantastic for me on a long run. But when I started to run the short runs over the next few days I just could not pull it together. I kind of had a mild breakdown thinking about all the training and all of my personal commitments and the possibility of an injury compounding all that and decided to take an early break.

So, I've been following a tri-specific lifting plan but unfortunately, I strained my upper abs by doing too much to fast. Still nursing that. I've gained a few pounds due to both lifting and lack of consistent cardio but I am getting the itch to get going again and still plan to run the 10k at the Marine Corp. I've also signed up for a metric marathon (16.2) on 12/7 and a 5-miler on 12/20. I plan to get back into full trithlon mode after the 1st of the year.

Hope you guys are doing well.

Edited by shaggy28 2008-09-30 8:30 AM
2008-10-01 5:26 PM
in reply to: #1705669

User image

Champion
good luck getting healed up!

i am in maintnence mode/build up for running. just trying to get in 20-40 min easy a day right now, nothing hard, and its feeling great!

loving all the off time right now as well, getting in some serious paintball fun.
2008-10-03 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1705669

User image

Fishers, IN
Glad to hear you are back and rolling.  I have heard the Marine Corp marathon is awesome.  Enjoy the event and the 10K.

2008-10-26 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1715890

User image

Champion
any of you guys still alive?
2008-10-26 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Well Hello David,

I'm still alive. Had a brief down period and now back in base for a while. Thinking about starting that P90X strength training until Jan when I start ramping back up for TTT. Are you doing TTT in '09 ? What have you been up to?

Chris

2008-10-27 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1766810

User image

Champion
took a few weeks off after toyota, and now just in running base for the next few months. getting slowly back into swimming and biking as we speak, just one or two times a week for those right now.

not sure about TTT. i am going to put in my entry, but i doubt i will race it, i am sticking pretty much 100% with short course stuff next season.
2008-10-28 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1766797

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

newbz - 2008-10-26 7:59 PM any of you guys still alive?

How do you do, David?

I took about two months off due to injury (and prolonged by laziness) and now I'm back.  Ran the Marine Corp 10k on Saturday in 51:56 which is not too bad for me considering I only ran twice between 8/17 and 10/26 and put 10 lbs back on.  Getting back on track for a Metric Mary (26.2k) in early December and then a couple fun runs leading into the holiday season.  After the holidays I start getting ready for my first Olympic at Columbia in mid-May.

2008-10-28 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm alive and kicking! I'm knee deep in my winter base building and just signed up for IMKY in `09 ;-) Needless to say, I've got a ton of base to build and a lot of volume to put in over the next 10 months. One thing at at time though and for now that is just being consistent in my volume. So far so good and my goal is keep building so I hit the Spring ready to rock!

Otherwise, things are quiet. Work is busy and life is moving along pretty quickly with the holidays looming so large. Nothing that can't be handled though ;-)

For those of you with races still on tap, good luck and kick some ! This has been a great group and I really appreciate everyone's support and guidance.

--Chris

2008-10-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1766797

User image

Fishers, IN

I'm still here.  It has been quite for a little while, but I have been chipping away.  I have the Half Ironman coming up.  Have a little sore going on in my left calf hope that taper takes care of it and that it doesn't cramp next weekend.  Swimming is still slow but I think I have the endurance (going to work hard on it this winter), and running is going really well.  I miss the training partners in the colder weather, particularly on bike and am afraid to see what that looks like - could be good, could be bad.  I'll give it my best and try to have fun first and foremost.  I have had some motivation issues off and on, but look forward to a little break after the HIM. 

Nice hearing everyone is still out there.

2008-10-30 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1775974

User image

Champion
good to see you guys are still truckin!

i am starting up a winter run base/period for the next few months, and it has been going well so far. my run deff needs some work so i am looking forward to the next few months.

i got back in the pool yesterday for the first time since sep, and it went well, made it a stunning 800m;-) over the next month or so i am planning on slowly adding that back in, along with the running. biking will come as i feel it, been on it a few times in the last month but nothing serious as for me out of the three that needs the least work.

looking forward to next season and nothing but short course racing:-)
2008-11-10 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1776278

User image

Fishers, IN

Back from Florida!  The good, the bad the ugly.... I performed poorly but really am searching for why.  The swim I did was very bad, but was expected (frankly I swam all over the place) and the time was faster than I deserved.  Probably the worst thing I did was switch bikes.  The change in geometry really made a difference in the muscles used, as it should or why change.  I did not realize how much a difference it made, because I usually ride my faster ride with groups and I ride my road bike when in groups.  As a consequence, I have not ridden my tri bike much.  Should have danced with the lady who brought me! 

The day unfolded about as bad as I can imagine other than having a flat.  I learned something that I did not realize starting out, what wave you are in can make a big difference. I was in the back wave with a lot of very good competition.  In such a situation, if you swim poorly you set yourself up for a poor bike because there is no one around to chase.   I could see the peletons when the course doubled back (that is just wrong, at least try not to suck a wheel!).  When you have no one else out there, you do not have the motivation to chase, nor do you have the legal draft of catching someone and passing.  The sad thing is, my average bike time is what my group limits itself to on the "easy days" and on such days I usually pull the entire time with another friend at my side-but typically on my road bike.  By the time it came to the run, my motivation was very  low, I even thought about not finishing-but how do you explain that to your kids?  Honestly however, I was very tired.  My legs were heavy, I think I had hammered my ride so hard that it took the lead out of my legs (different geometry, different muscles fatigued).  I was pretty much demoralized as I ran.  I was not an about it, my day did not go as I had envisioned, but I was honored to be there.  The guy I traveled with did a 4:17, his PR, and another friend did a 4:06, not a PR but won our AG  (He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met and so deserving-just a phenomenal person in every aspect)
.  In the end I did a 5:06, I was shooting for a 4:40, but things just did not go the way I thought they should.  I am definitely sad/disappointed but at least now I have a PR to shoot at.  Also, guys when I say a number like that I do not mean to brag or bashfully apologize because I know that there are some who would love to hit that time and there are those who would be embarrassed by such a time - it is all relative.  I trained as hard as I could (other than the last month) and did not come close to my expectations, but so is life.  That was a lot of money spent to under-perform, but it was a good experience.  The course is great, the volunteers excellent, the event is well organized, and I expect it will grow at even a faster rate than Kona, given the distance is more palatable.  The season is over and now I do consider myself to be a triathlete.

2008-11-10 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1799444

User image

Champion
sorry to hear the day did not go as planned but such is racing (imagine if wel all raced as planned!!?!?!)

enjoy some time off, you are offically faster than i am over that distance now!
2008-11-11 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1800782

User image

Fishers, IN
I think we both have better ones in us.  You have the gift of speed, I bet you can get yours down pretty quickly if you get the longs in.  This stuff is much more complicated than just running.  It feels great when everything goes our way - a plan well carried out.  That can't always be the case.  I have a lot of work to do before I care to do this again. 

2008-11-11 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1802553

User image

Champion
agreed. the longer you go, and the more sports you throw in the mix, the more there is to go wrong outside of the training.

i've seen so many people have a bad race, and simply decide that longer stuff is not for them.

but the components that go into this outside of our grasp are as much of the race as the training you put into it.

whiiiiiiich..........

is why i am very much looking forward to sprint racing next season! can still hammer one out on 2 hours of sleep or with a cold, in the rain, or no breakfast.!

2008-11-15 7:47 AM
in reply to: #1802695

User image

Fishers, IN

I don't know where I am going with this tri stuff.  My wife definitely wants me to go back to just running.  It fits more readily in our family's lifestyle.  In reality, I get most of my workouts in while my kids are away at practice (they do gymnastics 20 hrs per week!), but my wife needs me to be there for her more.  I hate to have performed so poorly in Clearwater.  To be honest, it would be easier to walk away and just run if I had done well.  I think I will focus a bit on the run for a month or so and then see how things go.  I'm definitely going to cut back for awhile.  I kind of like the "tri life" and the balance of three sports. 

2008-11-15 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1809963

User image

Champion
you could always back off for while, just run, and maybe do some shorter races next season, it would be much easier to do a bike or run every few days and not need as much extras as with long course.

there is always duathlon as well (i am going to be racing my fair share of those this spring/summer)

2008-11-16 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1810721

User image

Fishers, IN
Yeah, I think I will back off a bit.  My kids Gymnastics will be taking off soon and it keeps me pretty busy from Dec-May.  I'll just try to consistently get one of the three sports in when time permits and then decide on my focus in January-Feb.  Time to recharge the batteries and have a great Thanksgiving-Christmas with the family.
2008-11-18 1:34 AM
in reply to: #1810931

User image

Champion
sounds like a good plan!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 25