BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shepherd's mentor group - Full up! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-06-23 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1354433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: RE: Shepherd's mentor group - Full up!
OWS question-

Anyone encountered this yet? Several people who went to our OWS have gotten sick from the water. I know I got a rash, but I expected that. My husband said you just have to not think about it; at his tri this past weekend the OWS was in an inland lake and there was a sign up warning against children, elderly, or anyone who had a weakend immune system swimming in the lake. Gross, right? I think I will stick to one practice or less instead of two I had thought about per week.

2008-07-07 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Sorry it took me so long to reply. My daughter got married in New Mexico and then I went on vacation.

One of the girls on my team had a rash after swimming on our Thursday night swims. It went away quickly but you are right, totally gross. I was very grossed out at my last tri by the water, not only with the weeds but the dirt that was on my sports bra after getting out of the water. This is not really a pleasant sport when you think about it, icky, dirty, smelly(haven't found a deoderant yet that works after the swim) and think of the water that gets swallowed when swimming. We all must really like doing tri's to keep it up.
2008-07-09 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
glad to see you back, jo!

we have done several OWS since our first - I can deal with the rashes, no biggie. Just limiting it to once a week.

Oh- I had not thought about the DO after the swim... eek. I guess I can toss some on during my super slow transitions?? Why not, right?
2008-07-11 5:30 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
I did OWS last night and I'm exhausted. I drove the bike course for next Sunday but will get out to ride it on Saturday and Sunday. I'm declaring today my REST day. I think that my body needs a day of rest, its old and tired. I don't think we take it easy enough on our easy days or rest enough when we're supposed to. So that is my soap box for the morning, work hard when you need to and rest when you should! Now lets see if I listen to myself. jo
2008-07-11 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hope you got your rest in, Jo. We have OWS tomorrow morning and then a ride and run for me. Big training day before I start tapering next week. I totally agree with your soapboxing- I've learned the hard way that, when my body is tired and I'm tired, if I push it and do the training anyway it does not go so well. I'm two weeks out from my first race, and you are getting ready for #3! Way to go!
2008-07-11 8:05 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
I did take tonight as a rest day. I am going to ride the course for next week's tri on Sat and Sun so that I get used to the hills and have a plan of attack. I don't want this to be another fiasco like the last one and I bail at the last minute again(Although, I think once you've experienced the embarrassment of a non-equipment related DNF, you'll do whatever you can to crawl to the finish line).

I am a little freaked out about the next one because of that swim...and the bike...and the run. Okay, I'm a little freaked out period. I am going to try to stick to my plan and rest again on Friday and Saturday (maybe little runs to keep muscles warm). I really am feeling my age. I don't know that I would ever take on this aggressive of a schedule again.

You are smart to have a taper before your tri. I checked out that Tawas tri and it looks like it'll be a great one. You are going to do so good! Keep up the great work.

2008-07-11 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I can't take any credit for the tapering. It's in the training plan I got from BT. This weekend is my last push- today, tomorrow, and Sunday- and then it all slows down.

I'm pretty excited for the Tawas Tri in Sept- our local Tri Club might be heading up there to do the race, and if my husband's IT Band injury heals up, he should be doing his first HIM there.

I told my husband tonight that my plan is now to do triathlons for as long as I can. I figure eventually I will be the only one left in my age group and then I'll get a trophy. We'll see how long that lasts.

I give you lots of credit for even doing the last tri. You said going into it that you weren't sure about it. And I bet there are lots of people who wouldn't have even tried it.

Your game plan for riding the course a couple of times sounds really good, especially since you mentioned there are hills. We did some hill work when we were up in MI last week and it took my legs awhile to recover. Everywhere we ride around here is super flat and fast.
2008-07-13 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Seriously, that ride kicked my butt.  I did the ride yesterday and it started thunderstorming.  That was quite an adventure and probably not real smart, standing under a tree waiting to for the lightening to stop but it did and I'm still here.  I only did part of the actual course though, cut short because of the storm.  I rode longer though because I met a bunch of people from BT at a different course and then rode over to the course that I'll be doing.  Today I went and rode the whole course.  There are some seriously evil hills.  I guess the run is quite hilly too.  I am way too old for this!!!  My muscles were crying today going up the hills, saying "don't make us, don't make us".  Fortunately for my training, my muscles lost their fight and were forced to ride the evil hills.  This event is going to be way hard for me next week.  I'll sure be glad when this one is under my belt!

P.S. Lots of traffic at the metro park today, don't like traffic.  Worse than rush hour in the city.   

2008-07-17 5:31 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I am feeling a little fatigued and planned a rest day for tomorrow but I feel if I don't do a brick today I won't be ready for Sunday.  I am excited but a little anxious too. 

I really am looking into nutrition and how it effects me.  Yesterday was a bad eating day-someone brought yummy cookies into work and then chinese food for dinner.  It really effected my performance at the pool.  I don't like those recoverite drinks after a workout that a lot of my friends swear by.  I'd rather have a glass of chocolate milk or a frappuccino (not at night because the caffeine keeps me up). 

Have you tried hammer gels?  I did a marathon with clif shot blocks but those don't do so well for me on the bike(too sticky).  What about a banana at transition? I have a feeling I'm going to need something.

2008-07-21 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I had a brick workout Saturday and it was so hot- but I had to fit the workout in, even though it was high noon! Okay, so my point is that I did use a Hammer Gel during my transition from the bike to the run. It had been in my bike jersey the whole time (an hour) so it was pretty hot and kind of a nasty consitency. But about half way into my run I felt like it was very helpful. What have you tried recently jo?
2008-07-21 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

So what have I tried?  Lets just say everything.  I tried the hammer gel on Thursday night during a brick before the run and it seemed to help-apple cinnamon, yumm.  I carried water with me on that run and I liked that.  I liked the option of drinking when my throat was dry so I bought a water bottle that had a soft handle to slide on my hand. 

After the cramping during the tri in June, I tried Recoverite (NASTIEST TASTE), spit it out so don't know if it would've helped.  I've used HEED in my water on the bike and that seems to do okay but I had used that before my calf cramp so I figure I still needed some extra electrolyes.  I tried these electrolyte tabs called NUUN (something like that)-too nasty, couldn't stomach the whole drink.  I tried cytomax for this tri and was going to use hammer gel just before the run so I had water on my bike.  I swigged cytomax at each transition and before it started but unfortunately my water fell off my bike so my gel idea was not what I hoped (10 minutes before the run).  I was so parched by the time the bike ended that nothing helped.  I ended up walking about half of the run because my legs were like lead.  I am still struggling for answers. I have 3.5 weeks until the next tri, lots of time to experiment.   Aren't you sorry you asked this question? 

2008-07-22 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Nope! Not sorry at all.

I haven't tried my current system in a race, so we'll see how it goes. Funny you brought up Heed- we had samples and I loved it and just bought a big tub of it today.

That cramp sounds horrible! Yikes!

And you lost your water bottle on the bike? I love running with mine- and I don't even have a handy dandy place for my hand- that sounds cool. I normally run a mile or more, then swing back past the house and grab the water bottle off my mailbox and head out for the rest of the run. I have no clue how that would work in a race. I guess I have to figure it out soon!
2008-07-25 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann, that was quite a workout you had yesterday!  I'm am pretty illiterate with the log thing and I don't know how to post comments on someone's log.  Great job.

NOW MY MOTHER-HENNING:  TAKE IT EASY!  You have a tri this weekend.  Take some time and rest your muscles.  Nervous energy is going to take over and you will want to really pound the work outs but rest, rest, rest.  Let all your muscles heal and repair and be fresh for Sunday.  I am so excited for you.  You are going to do great.  I have a lot of friends doing that event at Sylvania.  It should be a great place to lose your tri-virginity.  

Good luck!!  I'll be cheering for you!  jo

2008-07-28 6:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Thanks, jo. I took two days off after Thursday's workout. And the tri went great! Of course I was slow, and I wished I was faster as people zoomed past me on the bike- but I was going fast for me, between 15 and 16 mph. I keep telling myself for my first tri, it was pretty good.

I definitely need to keep running more...that has always been my trouble area. The swim went too fast- but it was only 440 yards. The bike was flat and boring- perfect- and the run was great except for the last 1.1 miles- so LONG!

And, today is a day off. Then Tuesday I start training for the race in September. That one is a longer swim- 800 yards I think, in Lake Huron. Hello, Wetsuit!

Thanks for the encouragement. So, when is your next race?
2008-07-28 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Congratulations Triathlete!!!  You are awesome! 

The run used to be my strength and now it is my weakness.  I am taking the next couple of weeks and focusing on that.  My next tri is weird, on a Wednesday night, 8/13/08 with an 800m swim.  Then my final tri of this season will be 8/24 in Lake Huron (yeah, wetsuits) but that will be a much shorter swim. 

I am very  proud of you.  Enjoy your rest day and let your body direct your training this week.  I really took it easy last week and began yesterday really pushing again.  Savor your first tri-it will always be your best experience, sort of like a first kiss. You never forget where you lost your tri-virginity. 

Congrats again!  jo 

2008-07-30 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Thanks, Jo!

Today I start back training- finally signed up for a proper paying membership and imported my training plans to my log. Wondering how my bike will go since I'm recovering from stomach flu? Everyone got it from my nephew this weekend! Thank goodness it did not hit me until the day after the race. I leave tomorrow for a long long weekend in Cincinnati, so not much training will get done there. Maybe a run or two if I am lucky. And even then, it's all hills down there! The flat part is what I love about training in Toledo!

Your next tri does sound odd- a Wednesday night? Someone questioned whether or not we would need wetsuits in Lake Huron in September. I told them the Great Lakes are unpredictable- you could need a wetsuit in the middle of July if you got a strong storm! Do you own one? We're renting.

2008-07-30 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Wetsuits will be legal in Lake Huron. That water never gets above 78 degrees. I am doing a tri on 8/24 in Port Huron (with a Lake Huron swim) and it doesn't even consider temp-just says this will be a wetsuit legal race. 

I did buy a wetsuit in May for my June 1 tri.  I have been able to use it at all my tri's so far.  I am sort of scared because I don't think I'll be able to use it for the 8/13 one but I have swam that lake before without a wetsuit and it is pretty doable without drowning (I like the wetsuit for the security and the speed).  I got a really good deal on mine, it is a zoot.  I highly recommend swimming a couple of times in it before the race.  It has a totally different feel than swimming without.  I assume that it will arrive about 1 week before if you rent but I don't know.  To me, it was so worth the investment to buy.  I'm pretty sure mine was around $200 and it is the full suit. 

I'm glad to hear that you recovered well.  I think your age is in your favor.  It take old broads like me a little longer to get back in the swing of training.

2008-08-04 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
will keep the wetsuit tips in mind!

had stomach flu last week mon/tues; rode wednesday; went to cincinnati thurs and stayed through sunday. I only got one workout in down there- a horrible run on the steepest hill I've ever seen in my life. My brother (a Marine, and a marathon runner) told me it was the route for his "short, easy runs".

This week I start back to the real training.

My body liked the rest time. This weekend is a big tri here in Sylvania- my husband is doing the sprint (still injured). How long until your next race?
2008-08-05 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann, its good to have you back.  That hill sounds awful.  I wonder if that is the one one the route for the flying pig marathon in cinci.  I've heard that it is a tough one.  I was supposed to do a relay a year ago for that marathon and everyone bailed. 

I wiped out on my bike on Friday night so I am battered and bruised.  I am supposed to go for an OWS on Wednesday but I am going to see if these wounds heal first.  I don't want to go into lake water with open wounds.  ICK!!!

My next tri is a sprint, 800m swim, 20k bike, 5k run.  I am getting nervous, like I always seem to.  It'll just be so weird to do this after working all day and then to have to go to work the next day.  I am regretting it.  

My daughter goes up to MSU to move in on 8/16 and its been crazy already trying to get her ready.  I, honestly, will be happy when that next tri is history and then the last one is very easy, supposedly.  Next year, only a sprint in June and then I'd like to do an oly sometime in August.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shepherd's mentor group - Full up! Rss Feed  

of 6