Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-04-23 8:26 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: Jnowash's Group - CLOSED!
NAME: jsnowash/Jenny

STORY: This is my third season doing triathlons. I've always been fairly active, and have always swam, biked, and run as part of a general fitness routine, but never did any of these things competitively. After my kids were born, I used a million excuses not to exercise. I started a few years ago mainly as a way to keep myself motivated to work out and get myslef back in shape. I find the structure of having a training plan to follow keeps me going. My first season I raced mostly sprints with 1 late season olympic distance race. Season 2 was a mix of olympic and sprint races. This year, my "A" race will be Black Bear Half Ironman June 1, with a few other olympic and sprint races later in the season.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm 45 years young, married, and mother of 3 kids ages 6, 9, & 11. I'm currently a stay-at-home mom, with a husband who works crazy hours, leaving me to feel a bit like a single mom some days (except for the fact that I don't have to balance a JOB with childcare, keeping the house together, etc.)

CURRENT TRAINING: Most of my training takes place during the day when my kids are at school. I'm now entering the peak training phase for my Half-Ironman race taking place a little over a month from now. I'm training about 10 -12 hours per week now; somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 - 6,000 yards per week swimming; 100 - 125 miles per week biking; and 20 - 25 miles per week running. I'm a low-tech triathlete... no HRM or power meter for me. The only technological tools I use at the moment are a stop-watch and my bike computer.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2007 races I did included: Broad Street Run (10 miler); Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon; Diamond Girl (all women's sprint tri in Philly), The Nation's Triathlon in DC, and Harrisburgh Marathon. There were a few other smaller races as well.

2008 RACES:
Bassman Sprint: April 27
Broad Street Run: May 4
Black Bear Half Ironman: June 1
Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon: June 21
NJ State Triathlon: July 27

I'll probably do a fall marathon again this year. I'm going to enter the lottery for NYC marathon, if I don't get in, I'll probably do the Philadelphia Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost almost 30 lbs. since I started triathlon training 3 years ago. I would ultimately like to loose and keep off about 5 more pounds. The last few have been slow going, but I feel so much stronger and healthier than I did 3 years ago!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've learned a lot about training for triathlons over the past 3 years, and hopefully I can pass some of that knowledge along to newcomers to the sport. The sport has been good for me, and I would love to be able to help folks who feel they could use a little guidance and encouragement. I'm on-line pretty often, so hopefully I can answer questions that come up fairly quickly.

I'm looking forward to being a Spring Mentor!!!

Edited by jsnowash 2008-05-01 2:11 PM

2008-04-26 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1356403

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - Open
I was reading your intro and thought I was reading about myself! Hi, I'm Margot and this is my 4th year doing triathlons. I have the job, 2 kids (7 and 10), and a very understanding stay-at-home husband who sometimes feels like a single dad I got into triathlons because I was talking more about working out than I was ever getting to the gym.

Last year was the first time I did more than 1 tri, and had a great time doing 3 sprints. For this year, my original plan was to do 2 olympics and 1 sprint. Unfortunately a shoulder injury, familial guilt, and work stress has forced me to change 1 olympic to a sprint: Black Bear Sprint, Philadelphia Insurance Olympic, and NJ State Sprint.

I'd love to join your group since we have some similar motivators and are competing in the same area. My biggest challenge is to stay focused on my "new" personal best given I can't push myself on the swim due to the shoulder.
2008-04-26 8:31 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Welcome! Glad to have you! Looks like we're doing some of the same races! I'll be at Black Bear doing the HIM, I'm doing the Philly Insurance Oly, and will probably do NJ State (but I haven't signed up yet -- guess I better get on that since I think it will sell out soon!)

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Edited by jsnowash 2008-04-26 8:33 PM
2008-04-26 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Hi Jenny -- I'm 47. Completed my first sprint tri April 20th and had a great time. I did a 1/2 mary in Jan. and I'm doing my 2nd one tomorrow. Gulp! I love the tri lifestyle and it gives me something to focus on with training. I was working out anyway, but this really helps me pump it up a notch. I've always been pretty athletic but this offers a new challenge.

I work part time, have a 13 year old son (just turned 13), a hubby who works and travels and a dog, cat and house, etc. etc. I seem to be somewhat consumed by this tri stuff lately and have been a bit like a sponge, just trying to soak up as much info. as possible. I was in a Jan. mentor group that has great peeps and we offer each other support, but I'd like to have a little more direction and help with specific questions from someone who's done some of these. I'd like to do an oly this fall.

I log my workouts faithfully and log my nutrition as well.  Getting my workouts/training in is imperative to me for mental and physical health.  I'd love to be part of your group, too. Thanks and good luck tomorrow. :-)

~Lynn 

2008-04-27 3:40 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey there Lynn! Welcome! I'm just enjoying a little pre-race breakfast and surfin' BT... Looks like rain for my race today I think this may be my first ever race in the rain. Had to happen sometime, I guess. Good luck with your half marathon today - let us know how you do!
2008-04-27 6:50 AM
in reply to: #1364223

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Hi -- I'm having some ultima drink and grape nuts with bananas (no milk) right now. It's 4:48 a.m. pst. It will be interesting to hear how a rainy tri goes. Where do you live again? PA?

I'm in Ca. It's supposed to be warm and sunny, so no chace of rain. It might get a little warm toward the end, but we're near the ocean so I don't expect it to be too bad.  

Surfing BT is one of my favorite things to do! You might be riding the bike right now!!

I'll look forward to the race report. :-)

Lynn 

2008-04-27 9:59 AM

User image

Eastern PA
Hi Jenny-
I am 47 and also from PA so I would love to join your group. I am doing my first Tri May 24th in Lancaster.
Leticia (aka teash)
P.S. HI LYNN!!
2008-04-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1364267

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
lmscozz - 2008-04-27 6:50 AM

Hi -- I'm having some ultima drink and grape nuts with bananas (no milk) right now. It's 4:48 a.m. pst. It will be interesting to hear how a rainy tri goes. Where do you live again? PA?

I'm in Ca. It's supposed to be warm and sunny, so no chace of rain. It might get a little warm toward the end, but we're near the ocean so I don't expect it to be too bad.  

Surfing BT is one of my favorite things to do! You might be riding the bike right now!!

I'll look forward to the race report. :-)

Lynn 

Actually, I lucked out! It rained during most of my 1.5 hour drive to the race site, but had pretty much stopped except for very light drizzle by the time I got there. It was cloudy & chilly, but NO RAIN!! YAY!! I even took 2nd place for my age group (which consisted of -- ummm -- cough cough -- four people). I think a lot of folks stayed away because of the weather. I don't have my exact times yet, but I was pretty pleased with my race. I'll post a RR later when the get the results up on the web.

Looking forward to your Half Mary RR too!

Oh, and yes, I live in PA....
2008-04-27 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1364385

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
teash - 2008-04-27 9:59 AM

Hi Jenny-
I am 47 and also from PA so I would love to join your group. I am doing my first Tri May 24th in Lancaster.
Leticia (aka teash)
P.S. HI LYNN!!

Hi Teash!! Uh-oh, someone from PA who's in my age group!! COMPETITION!!! j/k... Welcome! Do you have any other races planned after your tri in May?
2008-04-27 8:28 PM

Jenny, I'd like to join your mentor group. My life has been: athlete, healthcare provider, SAH mom, athlete, healthcare provider, SAH mom. Now that my 4 yo is in preschool half-days, I'd like to ramp-up the athletics by training and participating in triathlons. My older son (22 yo) got me interested and we had hoped to complete one together this spring, but other commitments intervened. I've run several half-marys over the years, and have an extensive running history (started in the 60s pre Title 9.) Swimming is coming along (its been 30 yrs since I got my WSI,) but biking is my weakest link. Still anzious about the clipless pedals and I have the bruises to prove it. Hope to complete a respectable sprint this summer. Oh, and it's been a little over a year since I broke my first bone- driving a dog sled over ice, I fx a collarbone, which healed miraculously with almost imperceptable deformity. Congrats on your race today! - Arden
2008-04-28 6:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Welcome, Arden!

Looks like we have a nice group forming! I'm hoping we'll get a few more... the more the merrier!

So, would any of you like to share any specific training goals, questions, or concerns?

2008-04-28 10:31 AM

New user

I would like to join this group, if it is still open. I am completely new to triathlons, just completed my first day of the 20 week run focused olympic training plan. I am a runner, 4 marathons and multiple other races of lower distances completed, but I was getting a little burnt out and it's super hot here in the summer so I thought I would try out a triathlon and see how it goes.

Is spin class going to work for me for the bike? I have a Trek 7200 hybrid bike that I will be using so I would think that for group rides I would be slower since I don't have a road bike. I would also love some swimming pointers because that is going to be my weak spot. I'll probably also alter the training schedule to make my runs longer (especially the long run on the weekend) since I'm used to running longer already.

Looking forward to seeing if I like triathlons!

A little more information: 24, married, no kids (1 dog), work out of the house (makes it really difficult for me with snacking because food is always available).

Edited by esnackpack 2008-04-28 10:32 AM
2008-04-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1364691

User image

Eastern PA
jsnowash - 2008-04-27 2:42 PM

Hi Teash!! Uh-oh, someone from PA who's in my age group!! COMPETITION!!! j/k... Welcome! Do you have any other races planned after your tri in May?

No! I was afraid to register for another until I tried one, but I have been eyeing that NJ State one for months. Looks perfect for me! Now that I might know someone I might do it.
teash
2008-04-28 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1366610

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good morning -- at least it's still morning here. :-) Well, I ran the 1/2 mary yesterday and my time wasn't great, but I really wasn't looking for a time or a PR. This one had a huge hill and it was hot. People were out with their hoses and we ran through them. It was awesome!  I felt so much better after this one, than I did in Jan. so I can really see progress with my running. I wore a calf brace as I've got a cranky soleus muscle that my PT has been working on.

Hi Letcia -- Glad to see you signing up for more!! You'll do great. 

My question is this -- now that I've done one sprint tri (another scheduled for May4th) and 2 1/2 marys -- I'm looking at an oly for the fall as a culmination to my "season." Oh, I'm doing the Danskin in Disney in June, too. I kind of like to work on all three sports, but wondered if focusing more on one is helpful. Since my running seems to getting stronger, should I focus on that? Or, should I jsut keep up my 2 x balanced oly plan I did up to the 4/20 tri? I currently have a sprint tri plan in my log just to get me through to 5/4. And, I'm counting that tri as a training one.

I appreciate your help and guidance, J. And hello to our new people.

HAve a great training day --

~Lynn 

2008-04-28 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1366285

esnackpack: You must have my dream job- I love to snack! Been tall & skinny all my life, but prefer to be strong. My biggest concern is patience and not overdoing. At 50 yo, my physical abilities have dropped off much faster than my competitive nature. Also, my vanity would prevent me from actually doing a tri where I "just finished." Maybe I could settle for 3rd quartile AG first time...Logging, napping, picking-up preschooler. Best wishes to all, Arden
2008-04-28 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1366812

New user
Oh snacking is not good! I'm up 10 pounds since I got married 2 years ago, mostly thanks to the snacking! Not good at all! And I have the worst self control of all time.... I'm not overweight or anything, 148 right now and about 5'10, but i would much rather be back down to 137.

2008-04-28 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1366285

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
esnackpack - 2008-04-28 10:31 AM

I would like to join this group, if it is still open. I am completely new to triathlons, just completed my first day of the 20 week run focused olympic training plan. I am a runner, 4 marathons and multiple other races of lower distances completed, but I was getting a little burnt out and it's super hot here in the summer so I thought I would try out a triathlon and see how it goes.

Is spin class going to work for me for the bike? I have a Trek 7200 hybrid bike that I will be using so I would think that for group rides I would be slower since I don't have a road bike. I would also love some swimming pointers because that is going to be my weak spot. I'll probably also alter the training schedule to make my runs longer (especially the long run on the weekend) since I'm used to running longer already.

Looking forward to seeing if I like triathlons!

A little more information: 24, married, no kids (1 dog), work out of the house (makes it really difficult for me with snacking because food is always available).

Welcome! Hah - maybe you can give ME some running pointers... running seems to be MY weakness, though it's getting better.

As far a spinning goes, I think it works okay as a substitute for biking from time to time, but I wouldn't plan on using it for ALL of your bike training. There's really no substitute for the real thing. One piece of advice about spin classes is that what happens in most spin classes doesn't really replicate how you ride on the road. Lots of spin instructors have their pupils spending a bunch of time out of the saddle. On the road, you want to spend as much time as you can IN the saddle. So, I suggest that if you use spinning as a substitute, avoid jumping up out of the saddle every time the instructor says to do so. Instead, increase your cadence or resistance while the rest of the class is out of the saddle. This will give you a more specific workout. It's okay to do a few "standing climbs" in a spinning class, but jumping up and down every few minutes may be a GREAT aerobic workout, but it really isn't very good real-world cycling training.

I know my local bike club has group rides of varying levels. Most clubs list their rides as "A" rides, "B" rides, and "C" rides -- "A" being the fastests, "C" being the more leisurely paced rides. Maybe you could find a local bike club, or see if one of your local bike shops leads group rides, and try to join one that's at a slower pace. Or just get out there and ride on your own once or twice a week.

How is your swimming now? When I started out in triathlons a couple years ago, I really hadn't swum much in years. I used to be a life-guard and swim intstructor, and swam on the high-school swim team for about five minutes... so I had some swimming background -- but, holy cow! When I first started tri training, I could barely swim 2 lengths of the pool without feeling like I was going to absolutely DIE! My swimming has come a looonnnngggg way since then. I'm not what you would call super fast, but I think I'm typically somewhere near the "front of the middle of the pack" out of the water now. What worked for me was to start out by alternating 1 length free-style, one length breast stroke. When I got to the point where I could handle that pretty well, I went to two lengths free-style, one length breast stroke, etc. until I worked my way up to being able to swim my target distance. I would also suggest you search the web or your library or book store for some information on swimming drills. Good form is so crucial in swimming. Lots of folks find the Total Immersion swimming program to be helpful for helping them get more balanced and efficient in the water, and it's a good place to start.

Phew!! Sorry for such a long-winded answer. Gotta run, time for the kids to come home from school...
2008-04-28 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1366785

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
lmscozz - 2008-04-28 12:32 PM

My question is this -- now that I've done one sprint tri (another scheduled for May4th) and 2 1/2 marys -- I'm looking at an oly for the fall as a culmination to my "season." Oh, I'm doing the Danskin in Disney in June, too. I kind of like to work on all three sports, but wondered if focusing more on one is helpful. Since my running seems to getting stronger, should I focus on that? Or, should I jsut keep up my 2 x balanced oly plan I did up to the 4/20 tri? I currently have a sprint tri plan in my log just to get me through to 5/4. And, I'm counting that tri as a training one.

I appreciate your help and guidance, J. And hello to our new people.

HAve a great training day --

~Lynn 

I think the standard answer to your question is "race your strength, train your weakness". In other words, I think most people would suggest you spend more time on whatever your weakest leg is to try to improve that. Depending on how much time you have to train, you could also try a sort of training rotation, where you add one extra training session each week to your current plan. One week you could add an extra swim, another week an extra bike, another an extra run.
2008-04-28 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1367264

New user

Thanks for the reply! I'll look around in the area for a slower group ride. My swim right now is ok, but not fabulous. I had swim lessons as a kid and swam for fun, but never competitively. My first workout yesterday for the swim I swam 1200 yards -- first swim of the year. That went fine, just doing freestyle the whole time, but I took a quick break every 100 yards to get a sip of water. My problem with swimming is I hate getting water up my nose (why I could never be on the swim team, I couldn't master a flip turn without getting water up my nose). So if I get too much water, I have to quit swimming to get it out. Not good!

For my first triathlon, should I do any kind of drills for swimming and biking? I'll do some speedwork for running because I'm used to it, but not sure if I should do it for the other 2 sports. 

I'm happy to dish out any running advice if you have any questions...

2008-04-28 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Subject: Margot's Goals
My original goal was to graduate from sprint to olympic and sustain the pace I set last year. Despite 3+ months of intensive shoulder therapy, I need to get out of denial and revise my goals. I am now enrolled in 1 sprint, 1 olympic, and 1 last sprint for the year.

swim: sustain no damage while swimming with a mild impingement/tendonitis. This means I need to complete and not compete on the swim. My competitive nature is really struggling with that one since I am a reasonable swimmer and always felt psyched to kick off with an event I'm comfortable in. Believe it or not, I actually love intervals in the pool since I can't keep count for long sets

swim: avg 2"/100m for the sprint 500m (can do 1"45'/100yd indoors right now), 2"30'/100m for oly 1.5K

bike: avg 20mph for the sprint 20K, sustain 19mph for the oly 40K

run: avg 8.5 min/mi for the sprint 5K, sustain 8.75 min/mi for the oly 10K

family: be more "present" with my family when I am not at work, not at the gym, not on the bicycle for my husband and children. (Several nights in March my kids tucked me into bed and I've had several bouts of insomnia with work stress).

The upside on not being able to swim much is it's removed all my excuses for not being a better runner. So I've learned to run longer (with the help of my new Garmin 305 gadget) and enjoy myself. I also joined the local bike club and have done 2 of their 30+ mi rides.

With 4 weeks to go to my first sprint, I will refocus on my goals and get back into brick mode. I've been selectively ignoring my basic heart rate oly training plan.
2008-04-28 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1367490

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
hey, in open water there are no flip turns . . .

2008-04-28 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Penn Valley,

Hi,

I would love to join your group also.  I haven't been part of a mentor group before so I'm not sure what exactly it means but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

TRIATHLON/TRAINING HISTORY:  I did my first, and only (so far), triathlon last year.  It was a women's only tri in Lake Las Vegas, April 28th.  I started training at the end of January and got derailed for a couple weeks late February and into March due to an illness in the family.  I picked it back up, then it dropped off some again closer to the race.  Anyway, the triathlon sort of kicked my butt.  I was able to finish, but it took my time was 3:18:51.  Kind of embarrassing but I was happy to finish.  One of my challenges is the swimming.  I don't swim with my face in the water because I get really out of breath.  Therefore, last year I did the entire swim by backstroke.  

WEIGHTLOSS:  I lost 11 pounds before the race last year and by the end of the year, with no additional races and not many workouts, I had put 9 pounds back on.  This year, I'm training more and training harder and have lost 17 pounds since New Year's Day.  I'm really serious about continuing that.  I still have 40 more pounds that I want to lose.  My goal is to lose 1/5 pounds per week until I reach my goal.  

2008 RACES:  I'm registered for 1 race so far this year, the Danskin Women's Tri in Southern California June 15th.  But, I would like to do 2 races, maybe 3 before the end of the year.  I'm thinking about the Lake of the Pines Triathlon August 30th and possibly the Catalina Island Tri in November.  I went to a Master's Swim class twice, but didn't go back.  I was soooo much slower than everyone else and I didn't really feel like the coaches were giving me much advice, they were just letting me swim back and forth and would tell me the others were doing drills where they blah, blah, blah.  She would say them so fast and not explain them, it was kind of irritating.  Although I haven't been for a while, I am a certified scuba diver.  As such, I'm used to swimming underwater, at a slow pace and having an air source to breath normally without all the issues of breathing while swimming freestyle.

ABOUT ME:  I'm 42, I've been married 14 1/2 years, no kids but I have 5 cats and they are my babies.  My husband works the swing shift so he leaves at 2:30 p.m. and is not home until after midnight M-F and an occasional weekend day.  I'm a Project Manager for a large insurance company but I work from home 4 days a week and drive to the office about once a week, which is 70 miles away.  I think I do better with my workouts when I have something I'm training for, but occasionally, I still have a tendency to get a little lazy and miss a few days.  

I hope you've got room for me.

Lisa 

2008-04-29 5:12 AM

User image

Louisiana

I'd love to be a part of this group. No time for a bio, but I'm 46, 5 kids, job with crazy hours that I'm rushing off to right now. Hope I'm not too late to join.

2008-04-29 5:32 AM
in reply to: #1367490

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
esnackpack - 2008-04-28 3:50 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'll look around in the area for a slower group ride. My swim right now is ok, but not fabulous. I had swim lessons as a kid and swam for fun, but never competitively. My first workout yesterday for the swim I swam 1200 yards -- first swim of the year. That went fine, just doing freestyle the whole time, but I took a quick break every 100 yards to get a sip of water. My problem with swimming is I hate getting water up my nose (why I could never be on the swim team, I couldn't master a flip turn without getting water up my nose). So if I get too much water, I have to quit swimming to get it out. Not good!

For my first triathlon, should I do any kind of drills for swimming and biking? I'll do some speedwork for running because I'm used to it, but not sure if I should do it for the other 2 sports. 

I'm happy to dish out any running advice if you have any questions...

I personally don't really bother with flip-turns... I'm not really competing in pool events, or very rarely. I just do "open turns" - touch the wall, grab it lightly with one hand, plant my feet on the wall and push back off in the other direction. If you're only getting water in your nose when you're doing turns -- just don't do 'em! If you're getting water in your nose otherwise, just make sure you're breathing out through your nose (I breathe out through both my mouth & nose when I swim), and that should help.
2008-04-29 5:38 AM
in reply to: #1367910

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Margot's Goals
kofian - 2008-04-28 6:54 PM

My original goal was to graduate from sprint to olympic and sustain the pace I set last year. Despite 3+ months of intensive shoulder therapy, I need to get out of denial and revise my goals. I am now enrolled in 1 sprint, 1 olympic, and 1 last sprint for the year.

swim: sustain no damage while swimming with a mild impingement/tendonitis. This means I need to complete and not compete on the swim. My competitive nature is really struggling with that one since I am a reasonable swimmer and always felt psyched to kick off with an event I'm comfortable in. Believe it or not, I actually love intervals in the pool since I can't keep count for long sets

swim: avg 2"/100m for the sprint 500m (can do 1"45'/100yd indoors right now), 2"30'/100m for oly 1.5K

bike: avg 20mph for the sprint 20K, sustain 19mph for the oly 40K

run: avg 8.5 min/mi for the sprint 5K, sustain 8.75 min/mi for the oly 10K

family: be more "present" with my family when I am not at work, not at the gym, not on the bicycle for my husband and children. (Several nights in March my kids tucked me into bed and I've had several bouts of insomnia with work stress).

The upside on not being able to swim much is it's removed all my excuses for not being a better runner. So I've learned to run longer (with the help of my new Garmin 305 gadget) and enjoy myself. I also joined the local bike club and have done 2 of their 30+ mi rides.

With 4 weeks to go to my first sprint, I will refocus on my goals and get back into brick mode. I've been selectively ignoring my basic heart rate oly training plan.

Hey Margot, we have very similar goals -- right down to the family stuff!

I have sooooo much admiration and respect for people who tri around work and family schedules. I really don't know how you do it. I feel like I am so lucky & blessed to be able to do this while my kids are off at school. I don't know how I would manage to fit it all in if I had a full-time job! My hat is off to you!

Bummer about your shoulder injury... but you're wise to take it easy and not re-injur yourself. Have you had any swimming lessons, or had anyone take a look at your stroke? It's POSSIBLE that changes in your stroke technique might put less stress on your shoulder... But I think free-style swimming, even in it's absolute most efficient form, is always going to put some stress on your shoulders, unfortunately... Did you get PT for your shoulder after your surgery? Some strengthening exercises might help, too...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jnowash's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 15