Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-07-08 5:58 PM
in reply to: #1513140

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - CLOSED!

On a lighter note, I just did my 2nd longest swim this year -- 2600 yds. My knuckles are dragging on the floor. I cut out some of the sprints toward the end, held back a bit, but overall felt like a strong swim. I've been struggling to train with the same intensity lately, thinking more about enjoying summer with my family instead of shuttling back and forth to the gym or my bike.

I had some insomnia last night. It's just not fair, got back from vacation, worked a relatively short day, not too stressful, but still popped awake at 1:30am. I tried 4 different "guided meditations" from Meditation Oasis (downloaded on my iPod) and I still couldn't sleep. Oh well, no holding me back from the pool. I think I need to stop drinking that second glass of wine that I got used to on vacation

What are folks' weekend plans? Lesley and I are in the Philly women's tri. I'm in wave 4 #608 and Lesley, you can look up your wave/# at http://www.lin-mark.com/pwentry08.txt/>

2008-07-08 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1356403

User image

Veteran
Margot,

Nice job on the swim! Are you following a BT training plan? I did my longest yesterday too. I just started an olypmic training plan from BT and I really like the swim workouts. They are challenging. Previous to that I was just doing straight swims at one pace to increase my distance. I could barely go a 50 when i started in late febuary.

That is the worst when you can't sleep! I am currently on my second glass of wine as i write this but it will only enhance my sleep

I am in wave 3 on saturday and BID # 506. I will see you there. I am getting a hotel room saturday night and will be there bright and early.

QUESTION: to you or anyone in the group.....this tri thing has been sort of taxing my relationship with my boyfriend. Yes, I am a bit obsessed with it and this weekends race will be my 5th since May 18. He did go to the first three but now he is like, "do i need to do this every weekend???" I do most of my workouts in the morning and i try to limit my biking to one long ride during a week night. Sometimes i have done two and then i work one night so i am away 3 nights a week. He is supportive in that he is glad i found something i like and it keeps me fit but he comments a lot on the money i spend on things and the excessive racing. Anyone have any advice on how to manage a relationship and be involved in tri's? I should also add that i am the vp of a local tri club and am training with the leukemia society's TNT for the Nation's tri in sept. Occasionaly that eats up a night too. the club is just starting and isn't very active but i have to answer a lot of emails at night, plus then i am on BT.... LOL! He claims i spend 30 hours a week on this stuff. I skipped my bike club ride tonight and did a spineverals before he got home. THat sounds like compromist to me

Lesley
2008-07-09 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1515884

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

I was doing the beginner oly plan with HR zones. After Philly Oly, I changed to beginner sprint plan with HR zones. The reason I found BT was I was in search of a smarter way to train with specific plans. I love to go anaerobic and the plans make me work out more frequently and more endurance/aerobic activity. Plus they make you face into bricks as the norm, not the exception.

I completely relate to your relationship question. This Sunday (while we're at the Philly Women's Tri) is my 14th wedding anniversary. Besides my shoulder, the other reason I changed the NJ State Tri from oly to sprint was the oly training plan was consuming 3 hours/day . . . and that's on top of my 10-11 hour workday. My 8 year-old daughter told me, "you're tired all the time".  Before I register for the season's events, I do consult with my husband and make sure he's alright, but he's always surprised by the amount of dedication of put into training.

I'm fairly dedicated to morning, before work, before they've noticed I'm gone, workouts. I was doing some lunchtime runs when meetings weren't in the way. It's when I need to head back to the gym for that second workout after work that was a struggle -- because I wouldn't get home until 9pm.

I did 3 sprints last year and it will be 4 events for 2008. This past week I've been musing on investing in a wetsuit and doing more early season events before the kids get out of school and the days get warmer and longer. That way anything serious I want to partipate in would need to wrap in June. Anything after June would need to be maintenance mode type of events, not personal bests, with way scaled back training.

My husband's understanding does wear thin. I try not to take on anything else to add fuel to the fire. Work, Family, and Tri's pretty much tie me up. No book clubs, no movie rentals, no tv.

I'd love others' ideas.

2008-07-09 8:09 PM

User image

Eastern PA
Is anyone else enjoying Le Tour this year? I have been loving cheering on my favorites.
2008-07-10 5:57 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey guys,

Well.... better news on my family front these days... My family member is doing incrementally better day by day it seems. He's by no means "out of the woods", but we're all feeling a little more optimistic today. A week ago, the doctors were basically telling us "this is it", but they've been amazed at the progress he's made over the course of the past several days, and are feeling better about the chances that he'll be able to pull through this. He's a strong, determined guy, and not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I'm so glad I've been able to be there to support him and his family through all this, whatever the ultimate outcome is...

I'm heading back to visit & help care for him tomorrow, so his wife can take their daughter out for a while to celebrate her 16th birthday. If things are going well, I will probably come home late Saturday, and I might try to race at the Women's tri on Sunday. I just emailed the RD to see if I can pick up my packet on Sunday if I'm back. I'll just have to see how it goes. I haven't done much of anything workout wise in the past few weeks, so I'm not expecting much if I do the race on Sunday....

Margot congrats on the long swim!! Nice job! Glad your shoulder seems to be holding up for longer swims.

Lesley balancing training/racing with work/family/relationships is one of the toughest aspects of triathlon life, I think... I am more fortunate than most. As a stay-at-home mom, during the school year, I can do most if not all of my training while my kids are at school, and not take away from "family time". We won't talk about how my house looks most of the time, though ... You have to do your best to find a balance that works for you. Maybe you can try doing some of your workouts during the early morning hours, or at lunch-time if that works for you. Bike trainers are also a wonderful thing... Consider getting a trainer, so you can do some of your bike training "at home" at times that won't take away from your time together (again, early morning, late night, before he gets home from work, etc...)

Maybe you could consider cutting back on how many races you do. I know racing is fun for you! But maybe doing fewer races can be part of the balancing act for you. My first season, I think I did one or two races/month from May - September. I cut back my second season, and have cut back even more this year. I find myself feeling "guilty" for taking time away from my family to race... So now I just pick a few races per season. I don't expect my family to come and watch my races. They come to a few that are for one reason or another important to me (like my first HIM earlier this season) but mostly, they don't come to watch. Frankly, it's pretty boring for them - especially the kids... So I would say at the very least, give your boyfriend a pass on coming to watch you race. Maybe he can go hang with some of his buddies, or go enjoy something that HE likes to do on your race days.

Does your boyfriend have any interest in any of the triathlon sports? Maybe you could interest him in giving cycling a try, and you could do some rides together. The bike training is the most time-consuming part... Or maybe the two of you could run together if he likes running at all.

Ultimately though, I think you need to let him know that this is important to you. Stress to him that you're willing to compromise and try to find a balance that's acceptable to both of you, but that his support is important to you. Encourage him to find something that he's passionate about (if he doesn't have that already) and support him in his passion as well! Frankly, if he's NOT going to be supportive of things that are important to you, it's better to find that out now... Hopefully you can strike a balance that works.

2008-07-10 6:00 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
p.s. Lesley, I did the Nation's Tri last year -- what a blast! You're going to love the race! I didn't sign up this year, I was too uncertain about what my fall training was going to look like to commit to the race by the time it closed out. Logistics are a little tricky, but you're going to have a great time!

2008-07-10 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Jenny and Margot. Great advice on the relationship thing. I do have a bike trainer and that is exactly what i did on tuesday which is usually my long ride that doesnt start til 6pm and i don't get home til 9. I bought a longer spinerval dvd (1.5hrs) and had that done before he got home. I will probably do that tonight too. One of the problems is that i get done with work really early, sometimes 11:30-1:30 and then i wait til 6 for a ride just when he is coming home. I just like riding with the group but i am doing to have to start doing on my own and getting it over with.

As far as the races go, i definitely over booked this year and that is the real problem! won't do that next year. I will just pick a few.

Looking forward to nations but the fundraising SUCKS! I have to raise 2700! NOt doing to well right now

Ps. Jenny, my house has become a mess since this training started and that really annoys my boyfriend. i do need to make more time for that.

he has not interest in tri's but he does run but we never go together. will have to give that a tri

lesley
2008-07-10 9:06 AM

Okay ladies
I needs some help here. My first tri is this weekend. I am pretty much freaking out! I live in northen mn water temp have been cold due to ice coming off so late and cool air temp.I have only swam in the lake about 4 to 5 times. Two of the times it was race distance with wet suit. Water temp started at 58 and the last time I swam it was 69. My race is 4 hours south and weather is to be warm in the mid 80 and water temp are sure to be a lot warmer as well . My weaknes is the swim! I am very very slow and don't have a lot of confidence in this area. I swim at the pool twice the distance but I find its a whole new ball game in ow. I probably still swim twice the race distance( if only I could swim straight)! I have never gotten to swim without my wetsuit for it's to cold up here and I am afraid to swim without it on race day. I watched the race about 4 years ago before I thought I could swim and temp was about the same on that year and I don't remember anyone in a wet suit. I don't want to be a complete dork! I also forgot to mention it is suppose to be windy 35 mph wind. If I had to guess I would think water would be upper 70. I feel way over my head but I have been working at this swim thing for the last 9 month with such slow improvement! Do you ever feel ready for your first tri! I have always gotten a little nervous before races but I am way over the line with the nervous thing!
2008-07-10 9:29 AM

New user

Bike saddle question --

My new bike came with a men's tri saddle, and all my rides have been very uncomfortable so far (especially the 50 miler I did) -- I'm basically sitting directly on the bone on the front of my crotch and it is painful. I can tell right at the beginning of the rides, it's not something that gradually happens. I have been wearing bike shorts also. People have told me that I just need to get used to the seat since I'm used to more of a cushy seat (on my hybrid bike). But I went to the LBS yesterday and had them measure my sit bones and they told me I'd need a 155m wide seat. I measured my current seat and it's more like 140mm across.

My question is this -- do I still give my current seat a chance and try to break it in (will have another 50 miler this weekend)? Or do I really need a womens saddle because my sit bones are wider?

Thanks!!

2008-07-10 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Okay Tania.... breeeeeeath.... your going to be okay! Chances are you'll be able to wear your wetsuit. "Wetsuit legal" conditions are anytime the water temp is 78 degrees or less. Is there any way you can check on the current water temp, just to give yourself a little peace of mind?? Even if conditions are not wetsuit legal, you'll be fine. There will be lifeguards in the water, most likely in kayaks, it's perfectly legal to hold onto a kayak or one of the bouys marking the course to let yourself rest if you feel you need to. It's okay to stop and tread water, or roll over and float on your back if you need to. Just take your time, and try your best not to freak out (I know! Easier said than done!!!) But really, you'll get through it. Like you said, you know you can swim the distance. It sounds like you've done twice the distance several times. Just keep reminding yourself of that when you're in the water. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Have a great race! You're going to do GREAT!!!
2008-07-10 8:04 PM
in reply to: #1519827

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Tania, I'd like to echo Jenny's comments, take a deep breath . . . 1 . . . 2. . . 3 . . . exhale. Most folks obsess about the swim, but look at the rough math:

Even if the swim sucks, it's probably only about 20% of your entire race, whereas the bike is about 45% and the run 35%.

From looking at your log, you've swum over 28 hours ytd -- plus lots more biking and running on top of that. It's obvious you will finish because you're prepared. I hate open water, but if you can swim, you will finish.

2008-07-10 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
I'm going to attempt my first ow swim tomorrow.  I'm pretty excited and scared at the same time.
2008-07-10 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1521907

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Hi all -- Back from vacation where I did several OWS in the lake.

Good luck on your open water swimming tomorrow, Shelley.

And, Tania, I'll add my support to your swim, too. I'm sure you'll do fine since you've been training. I swore I'd be dragged out of the water by the paramedics at my first tri swim, but thankfully it didn't happen. When I got a little freaked out, I just popped up and did some breast stroke. No harm, no foul. And, I finished fine. Every swim since has gotten better and I am gaining more confidence. It's probably like anything, the more you do the more comfortable you'll feel and better you'll perform.

Sorry to say, Leticia that I haven't really been following the Tour, but I have been watching the amazing 41 year old woman swimmer -- Torres. It's a nod to all of us over 40 warriors.  

Erin -- Re: bike saddle. I had one that made me really numb "down there" and I went to the LBS and test drove a couple of women specific and picked one out and haven't had any problems since. good luck with it though. Glad you got a bike, though. I hope you're happy with your choice.

Later, ladies --

Lynn 

2008-07-11 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Anyone know what the water temp of the schukyll is? Wondering about the wetsuit deal this weekend.
2008-07-11 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1522653

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

http://www.phillyrivercast.org/ says it is a tepid 82 degrees.

I am a huge Dara Torres fan. The NY Times has featured her twice -- what struck me the most is that her ability to withstand pain allows her stretching coaches (she has 2 of them) really to work her over.

Reminds me how often I skip the stretch portion . . . 

Edited by kofian 2008-07-11 8:48 PM
2008-07-12 9:24 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Okay ladies....

I promise this is my fina downer of a post....

I can tell you all the full story now. The relative I was visiting and helping care for in the past weeks was my brother, former White House Press Secretary Tony Snow. He and his family had asked the rest of us to keep his medical condition private, so I didn't want to post anything on-line about who he was. Sadly, Tony lost his battle with cancer early this morning. I was in the hospital with him when he passed. Thankfully it seemed to be a pain-free passing. Like many people, I didn't always agree with Tony's political point of view, but I can honestly say that he was one of the kindest, most loving, generous people I have ever known. We'll all miss him deeply, but at least we now know he is at peace, and no longer suffering. Please say a prayer for his wife and children. This will be most hard on them.... I won't post any more about this to the mentor group thread. I'll keep any other thoughts on Tony's passing to my blogs. Thank you all so much for your kind words of support during the past weeks.

Jenny

2008-07-12 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1524698

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
My heart goes out to you and your family. I'm glad you were able to be there for them and for yourself.
2008-07-12 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
It's amazing how this great big world sometimes becomes so small.
2008-07-12 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Ok, I finished my open water swim last night.  It was funny how my friend Devon and I pulled up at the meeting place and mentioned how nervous we had been all day.  Claudia met with us and we headed to the place Devon had been told about.  We arrived and it was at a sailboat marina (with the same name).  I could tell that the swim would be safe as there were very few motors on the boats that were docked and no boats actually sailing.  There were serveral people already there so we headed to the shore and got ready.  When I started swimming, I wanted to keep my face out of the water.  We all swam a short way out, maybe 25 yards, and Devon and I felt like we were not going to immediately drown so we headed to a small dock that was about 100 yard from shore.  I made myself put my face in the water and dealt with it pretty good.  Claudia turned back stating the lake was not something she could deal with yet.  Devon and I made it to the dock, felt good and headed back to the shore.  Poor Claudia.  She tried again, but just couldn't deal with the lake.  Devon and I swam back to the dock two more times for a total swim of 600 yards.  It felt good.  I hope this opens up a new level for me.  Don't get me wrong, I still can't swim very well, but I can swim in the lake.  We talked with some of the other swimmers after we were through.  Some had just completed an Ironman about two weeks ago and some were training for an Ironman in the next two weeks.  They talked to Claudia about things to help her get more comfortable with the water.  They suggested a wet suit but the water was almost too hot today for one.  They were a pretty nice bunch all in all and welcomed us to come back any time.  They normally swam .6 miles out to the no wake bouy.  We all walked along the docks to look at how far .6 mile is.  Let's just say, it will be a little while before a can attempt that distance.
2008-07-12 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1525263

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good job on the OWS. It is VERY scary at first, but I'm finding that it does get easier each time you go out. Glad you powered through the kept at it!

Good luck to all of you racing tomorrow. I'm going to watch a triathlon tomorrow and cheer on a friend.

2008-07-13 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1524698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA

Oh Jenny.....I am so, so sorry for your loss.  Before I read your post, I was talking to a friend of mine earlier today about Tony Snow.  I told her he seemed like such a terrific guy, even though I do not agree with his political opinions.  I did like his style!  Now I'm absolutely certain he must have been a wonderful person, since I know he has a wonderful sister.  I am glad you were able to be with him.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

take care of yourself

Linda

2008-07-15 11:57 AM

I finished my first tri and I loved it! Weather was perfect and wet suit legal ! There was a tri about 15 mile from my house the same weekend. I raced 4 hours south from home. I guess they had the nasty weather. 35- 40 winds, white caps, water temp 61. This guy that I know does it every year said he never seen so many people calling for help. He also helped a lady back to shore. I guess I made a good choice to race farther south for warmer temps.
2008-07-15 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1530983

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Congratulations Tania, tri-virgin no more! I'm glad you found the event that was right, safe, and sane and had a great time. Funny how you can get the bug, Margot
2008-07-15 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1530983

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Great job. Congrats, you triathlete, you!  So, when's your next one?

2008-07-17 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1532502

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Well 4 days and counting since my last workout . . oh wait, my last workout was the fun triathlon I had last Sunday I wanted to recover, but this has been ridiculous. My left achilles has felt strained for awhile, so I'm sure the extra rest has been good. I'm going to catch up on sleep tonight and meet someone for a run at lunchtime tomorrow. What are folks' weekend plans? Any races?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jnowash's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 15