Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-07-17 10:39 PM
in reply to: #1356403

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - CLOSED!
One more week before my next race.  I plan on riding some Saturday, but Sunday looks kinda rainy, so I may go run on the track at the gym.  I need the run more than I need to bike, but I love biking so much more.Cool

2008-07-18 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1538841

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Just got home from work and my order for some Zoot running shoes has arrived! Lesley, noticed you have the aqua pair (ultra race). Do you have any problem with the heel rubbing against your achilles? How long did it take to break them in? I ordered two different versions (Zoot ultra tt and ultra race) to try because I can't run sockless in my current nike's (air max moto v).

My next race is next weekend -- I got my first workout of the entire week in today. I'm hoping to get some good bike, swim, and shoulder therapy sessions in this weekend. We'll see how it goes because I want some good "mom" time too after this long workweek.

2008-07-18 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1538841

User image

Eastern PA
pole_dancer - 2008-07-17 11:39 PM

One more week before my next race.  I plan on riding some Saturday, but Sunday looks kinda rainy, so I may go run on the track at the gym.  I need the run more than I need to bike, but I love biking so much more.Cool

I have to agree with you there! I will take biking or swimming over running anyday!

2008-07-20 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1541236

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

me three! My new year's resolution was to either get better at running or stop complaining about running.

As NJ hits the upper 90s, I'm turning into a huge airconditioning fan, opting for treadmill runs vs the outdoors. I tried 2 outdoor runs just to get ready for next weekend's sprint which could be very hot and humid. I got too dehydrated on one run and it combined with stress triggered a migraine later. Oh well, back into the groove this weekend.

Hope this week tapering goes well. After this week, I have business trip and then off to vacation for 2 weeks -- so the pressure of being out of the office for 3 weeks is taking its toll. I need to get a grip. If I just focus on this weekend's tri, it could give me the perspective I need.

2008-07-20 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1543953

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good luck to everyone racing next weekend. I'm doing the Solana Beach tri next Sunday. Hope that humidity settles down for you all, but I know that's just how it is back there sometimes.

Where are you vacationing, Margot? Will you train some while you're away, too? Good luck with the shoulder therapy. I did some yoga on Friday and it really irritated my shoulder.

I'm ramping up my running to prepare for the 1/2 marathon August 17th. It's the 3rd of a "triple crown" of running 3 in San Diego in  one year. I figured, what the heck, why not? I guess you get some kind of medal or something. Mostly, I'm doing it just to know I can!

2008-07-21 6:25 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hi Ladies,

I'm back... Sorry I haven't been able to be much of a "mentor" lately, but thank you all for carrying on without me, and for your inspires the past few weeks.

My training has obviously taken a hit lately, so I'm just sort of easing back into it with no firm training plan. I don't really have any significant races planned for the rest of the season. One sprint just for fun at the end of August is about it. I'll probably do a fall half-marathon. I had been thinking of running a full marathon in November, but I think my training would be too far behind for a good marathon showing at this point. Plus, like a few of you, running is not really my favorite So, I'm basically back into more of a maintenance/base building phase of training, which is okay by me. I'm registered for Eagleman 70.3 next June, and that will be my next "big" race (though a Spring marathon is not entirely out of the question....)

Good luck to everyone with upcoming races!

2008-07-22 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1544075

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

I love the triple crown analogy! I hope Solana Beach tri goes well for you. This weekend is my last tri where I'm registered for the season. So I'm off to Slovenia (part of former Yugoslavia next to the Austrian alps) for vacation with husband and no kids (for the first time if you exclude relocation house hunting). Mainly going to do day hikes, some backpacking. My maiden name is Jereb -- and a couple generations ago, my family emigrated from a village outside of Ljubljana. We still have family in the area, so should be fun. No cycling, running, or swimming plans for the two weeks. Just active fun without email or meetings. May hit the Adriatic for some swimming -- but the bikini kind, not the speedo kind

I still may invest in a wetsuit to do some tri's in September, going to see how things are going. I find yoga really exacerbates my shoulder too, but I miss the centered-ness it gives me. I'm going back to the orthopedist when I get back from vacation to see if this is as good as it gets. I've sworn off squash for the fall (source of my original injury) and I like to let go of the tri stuff and mix it up a bit until March rolls around and I start training again.

Edited by kofian 2008-07-22 8:09 PM

(2008 Women's Tri Finish.JPG)

(2008 Alex & Daria at the Beach.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2008 Women's Tri Finish.JPG (37KB - 74 downloads)
2008 Alex & Daria at the Beach.JPG (13KB - 74 downloads)
2008-07-23 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1550631

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Great photos, Margot! Cute kidlets, too. Good luck, have fun this weekend and enjoy that vacation. Sounds lovely, with out kids,too. Must have grandparents around? I hope the shoulder can get better. I tried to get into the PT this week for some ultrasound and there's no appt. available. Grrr.

Jenny -- So glad you're back. Training should help ease some of the grief for you. At least I sure hope so. You and brother's family have been in my thoughts/prayers. I thought it was a real testament to him that even if you didn't agree with his politics, you saw what a man of character is was.

Edited by lmscozz 2008-07-23 10:45 AM
2008-07-25 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Good to hear you're back Jenny! I was just looking for a half iron for next year and thought about eagleman but it was already full. When did you sign up? Can you think of any others that would be good for my first. I am thinking black bear might be a tough one to start with because of the hilly bike but I have plenty of time to train
2008-07-25 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lesley -

You can check out half-iron distance races by checking the trifind website's listing: http://www.trifind.com/iron-h.html. You can find races all over the country (maybe you'll decide it would be cool to make a little vacation out of your first half-iron experience!)

If you want to stay local-ish, races I can think of are:

Devilman (NJ) late May
Black Bear (PA) early June
Diamondman (DE) early September
Jerseyman (NJ) late September
Bassman (NJ) early October

There are probably other's I'm missing...

I signed up for Eagleman a few days after registraion opened up. I knew it would sell out quickly! I think there may still be some Aqua-Velo slots open, though - you could do the Aqua-velo as for longer distance swim/bike training. I have several friends locally who decided they weren't quite up for doing a full Half-Ironman, but opted to do the Aqua-velo instead.
2008-07-26 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Plus, wanted to let you know NBC is airing the Iron Girl tri from April on TV today at 2 p.m. (here on the west coast at least). It was in Las Vegas. They are also opening registration during the broadcast if anyone wants to fly to sin city. I'm recording it to watch later.

Enjoy the weekend. 

2008-07-26 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA

Welcome back Jenny!  I have been thinking about you.  It is good you have started working out again.  It will be good therapy for you.  I saw your re-designed goals on your log..they are fantastic.  Those are truly the important things in life...family, friends and living life to the fullest every day!

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

2008-07-26 9:06 PM

New user
My training has been frustrating lately. First, I wasn't very motivated. Not horrible this week, but still not good. Then Thursday at the end of my swim I got a really bad calf cramp and it's been really sore ever since and I haven't done anything. It's like after a marathon sore. Arggggg! Trying to decide if I should go for a 60 mile bike ride tomorrow or give it another days rest.....
2008-07-28 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1561835

User image

Eastern PA
esnackpack - 2008-07-26 10:06 PM

My training has been frustrating lately. First, I wasn't very motivated. Not horrible this week, but still not good. Then Thursday at the end of my swim I got a really bad calf cramp and it's been really sore ever since and I haven't done anything. It's like after a marathon sore. Arggggg! Trying to decide if I should go for a 60 mile bike ride tomorrow or give it another days rest.....

I have found that a rest day does WONDERS! I am going to be working more into my logs. Seems like I feel so much stronger after a rest day.
Hope you feel better!
Leticia
2008-07-28 2:30 PM

User image

Eastern PA
Stupidly fell off my bike yesterday.... stopped to get water bottle filled, got back on... slight incline... big chain ring... right foot clipped in nicely... left foot slipped off the stupid pedal... barely moving forward... fell over onto my right shoulder. OUCH! Pretty sore today and I think I won't be swimming for a bit. Luckily, no one seemed to see me looking like such an idiot. I actually am usually VERY comfortable clipping in... Must've been a senior moment!

Bike is ok though....

Leticia
2008-07-28 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

I have to say that I felt better about my tri this weekend than any of the others that I have done so far.  I really had a hard time getting back to training after my other events.  I felt that I did so bad that why was I bothering.  I still did pretty bad, 354/416 overall and 12/14 in my age group, but I really enjoyed the entire event. 

I guess I'm getting there.

2008-08-23 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
hey everyone! What's going on? All we all burnt out this summer.....YES!!!

I had gotten a nasty chest cold a few weeks back that kicked my butt and I really lost some fitness, then went on another vacation, so just getting back to things again. HOw is everyone doing? anyone have anymore races???

I have Nations in 3 weeks and am looking forward to rapping this season up. i am planning on doing the baltimore half too which would be a big deal for me because i basically just starting running 6 months ago and it doesn't really come easy to me.

lesley
2008-08-27 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

I finally decided to sign up for an olympic distance.  Never done one, don't know if I can do one, but going to try to do one. 

I think my end of year is going to end up like yours, Lesley.  My last try on 9/14 and a half mary the first part of October.

I hope you do well in both.

Edited by pole_dancer 2008-08-27 8:37 PM
2008-08-28 9:36 AM

Next weekend is pretty much the end of the tri season around here. I was going to do my last sprint Sept 6 but it wasn't really enough time for me to improve my times from my last sprint so I think I will focus on the area where I need to improve and sit this one out. I am going to do 2 bike tours and 2 more du's one is the exact same course as the one I did in the spring so it will be good to see where I am at on the bike. I woke up and morning temp was 32. It took all day to warm up to 70 and then drops quickly at night. Summer is over for us! My plan is to do some early sprints next year in Iowa so the tri season won't seam so short and yes I am going to a do a oly end of next June. I am a terrible swimmer so it will be a big goal. Good luck to all who still have some races !
2008-08-30 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1634471

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Hi, I'm resurfacing after 4 weeks. Enjoyed my last tri of the season on July 27th. Then had a great vacation in Slovenia. Got in over my head when hiking . . . but used my NJ State Tri t-shirt and blue seventy visor to channel extra energy during our 10.5 hour hike. Here I am on the top of Mt. Konjavec (2568 meters high). No mosquitos, alpine wild flowers. Then we vegetated, hung out with family, lots of fun reading. It helped be stave off the post-season blues.

I saw the orthopedist last Friday -- I have full range of motion in my shoulder, nothing they recommend I do . . . this is basically as good as it gets, eventhough I still can't swim at 100%. I also have achilles tendonitis. So I'm going to try to recover enough to do some 5Ks at end of September -- Parkison's Alliance and Race for the Cure of Central Jersey.

Time for me to get the yard in shape and polish off some house projects with the cooler weather. Glad to see some of you are still racing and uninjured. I really enjoyed the company with you this summer. Now that I'm back from my business trip, I'll let you know what I end up doing for fitness this fall.

Attachments
----------------
Margot Hiking (27KB - 74 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jnowash's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 15