General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing in the rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-23 9:51 PM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Subject: Racing in the rain
Hey, I have my first sprint tri this Sunday. The weather here in IL. has been B-E-A-UTIFUL for the past week, but wouldn't you know, it is supposed to be 50 degrees with rain for the race! I am so pi--ed off!!!! I am concerned about the biking. Will it run any different? Should I plan for some big changes in the ride, or will the bike perform well? I have been on my bike only 5 times outside (very late warmup here in Midwest), so I am new to the wet weather thing...YIKES!

2008-04-23 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1358575

Veteran
Boulder
Subject: RE: Racing in the rain
I don't believe it will be. Just remember to clean your bike after the race!Also remember that your cleats might be a little slippery on the wet asphalt. Whatever time you lose in the bike will be made up when you don't overheat in the run.Best of luck in the race!
2008-04-23 10:14 PM

There are a couple of things to watch out for when riding in the rain. Painted markings on the road are slippery so use some caution if you have to make a turn that has painted markings. Second the rails at railroad crossings will be sippery when wet. Your bike wheel can slip and put you down in a second if you are not careful and cross them at a close to a 90 degre angle.

In hard rains your visibilty and that of others is somewhat impaired, so if the course is open to traffic be extra careful.

Other then that enjoy the experience. It is like being a kid again playing in the rain. Just remember to clean your bike and lube the chaing afterward.
2008-04-23 10:23 PM

Dalton, GA
Rain is your friend. Well, make rain your friend because most everybody feels great when the weather is nice and not so good when the weather is crap.

2008-04-23 10:31 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
To me the perfect weather for a sprint or oly distance tri would be light rain and 60 degrees. I did a sprint last year that was 50 and raining and I never really got cold, I just flew. I set my best bike split and pretty much matched my 5k PR after a 1000M swim and 12 mile bike ride. The rain will cool you down and keep you body happy at high efforts, the only downside will be the bike.

On the bike as pointed out, watch for painted pavement as it's slippery. After that, get familiar with phsyics to maximize your bike efforts without low siding and eating pavement. If they are wet, the roads will indeed be slippery, but you don't have to slow down as much as you may think. When it gets wet, just start wide, apex properly and let the bike track out as far as you can safely. You'll maintain momentum and you won't have to lean as far and you'll be less likely to break traction. Below is a pic of the fastest and best way to corner.

Just watch out for traffic as trying to correct in the rain can be dangerous.

2008-04-23 10:58 PM

User image

Master

It is exactley like training in the rain...

The reason I dont skip out on workouts or move indoors just beacause of a little rain.

Like others have said painted lines will be slick, in general things will be a bit slicker. Brakes wont have quite the same grab.

2008-04-24 7:04 AM

Regular
Belvidere, IL
Thanks everyone for the advice and making me feel better! I am so disappointed that it isn't going to be a beautiful day, but I know I need to let it go and focus on having a great time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing in the rain Rss Feed