General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Swim or Not to Swim.....That is the Question!?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-23 9:55 PM

Subject: To Swim or Not to Swim.....That is the Question!?!?!

Good Evening All, 

I am training for my first marathon right now and looking to the future for my next goal.  My marathon is May 18th.  I am thinking about signing up for a short tri in late June and wondering if I am fooling myself on that!  It is a 750m swim, 20k bike and 5k run.  I know I can do the run and bike, but the swim scares me.  I have access to a pool to train, but would a month be enough for me to train for the swim after the marathon?  ((((and why does that swim seem so scary to me!!!)))  I am not scared of water - I swim with the kids - just fun stuff though.

I am looking forward to feedback from you experienced triathaletes!  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Stephanie 

2008-04-23 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1358583

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: To Swim or Not to Swim.....That is the Question!?!?!

It is certainly possible.  It really depends on how motivated you are and how quickly you adapt to the water.  However, it took me a lot more than a month get to the point I could swim 750 meters continuously.

You have 2 months if you start tomorrow.  Any chance you could get one or two days a week in the pool now?  I did some swimming as cross-training when I trained for my first marathon.

I don't know where you live, but there are likely a number of tris throughout the summer.  You could give swimming a try and see how you do.  If you are progressing slowly, you could look for a race later in the year.

2008-04-23 11:54 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I'm not sure why you wouldn't hit the pool now. I would guess if you are running a marathon you have the endurance, you just need to work on your technique. I would think several light workouts between now and the marathon would help you get your technique correct then after the marathon you can work on the swim endurance.

You might find the swimming to be a nice change of pace in your training routine.

2008-04-24 8:11 AM

Thanks for the input...you are both right....no reason I can't get in the water now.  Thanks again.
2008-04-24 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I would say "go for it." My husband signed up for his first tri (300yd swim) and couldn't swim with his head underwater. The first time he tried to swim laps at the pool, the lady in the next lane asked him if he was having a heart attack! But with patience and practice he is doing just fine. (2 months later) Keep at it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Swim or Not to Swim.....That is the Question!?!?! Rss Feed