General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piriformis Syndrome or Not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-04-24 9:52 AM

User image

Royersford, PA
Subject: Piriformis Syndrome or Not?

For the past month or so I have been dealing with this nagging pain in my right hip/buttocks area.  After doing some research I think that is my piriformis muscle and most of the research indicates that the inflammation of this muscle can irritate the sciatic nerve which is called Piriformis Syndrome.  For me, I don't have any referring pain into my lower back or down my thigh.  I'm wondering if I have the "syndrome" or not since my pain is localized in the muscle and no where else?

I started doing stretching and after I run in my 10 mile race coming up, I'm going to take a break from running and focus more on the other disciplines in order to hopefully let this muscle heal. 

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback and suggestions on treatment.

2008-04-25 7:03 AM
in reply to: #1359157

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Piriformis Syndrome or Not?
I had some hip soreness for a while. What it turned out was I was constantly running on a road with a pronounced slope to one side. So one leg was higher than the other. I stopped running on that road and the pain immediately disappeared.
2008-04-30 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

I've had pirifomus syndrome now for just over a year.  I knod of self diagnosed it when it first happened and saw different physio's and ended up stopping sport altogether for a year as it was way to painful.

Anyhow, this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome is the wikipedia description of the piriformus syndrome.  Try to locate the muscle that hurts and you'll definately need to go see a physio for a more accurate diagnosis and also for treatment.  I got the tri-bug again a few months back and saw a new physio who diagnosed it straight away, started with accupuncture, which worked heaps, and now he's given me glute and hamstring strengthening as well as stretching exercises.  I've been able to bike for an hour at a time on the bike in the gym and this week have been told to go running a few times.  So it is beatable, but you really need to be commited to the strength training and exercises.

2008-05-01 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Also- typically developing the "syndrome" is related to other structures, hence the emphasis on core/low back strength & flexibilty & lengthening/loosening glutes/hamstrings/ITb etc ...do some research & get a solid diagnosis..EARLY intervention is huge- I minimized mine for way too long & it became a chronic problem- so take heed!!!
2008-05-01 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

I couldn't agree more with what isis said.  The sooner you see a decent physio and start a streching and strength program the better.

I've been doing these programs 3-4 times a week for about 2-3 weeks now, and it has worked to the point where the physio has said I can actually run again.  That'll be the first time in 14months!!!!!

2008-05-03 10:01 PM

User image

Las Vegas
Wow, I am so glad to know what is causing the pain I have been experiencing. I too have had the nagging pain, but in my left buttock. It doesn't radiate either, but gets worse when I am running up hill or biking in an aero position. I am hurting pretty bad right now after riding 74 miles today. This pain started up 2 months ago and I backed off on running and really stretching the area prior to a run. The pain went away after two weeks, but just started today at about mile 10 of my ride and pretty miserable the rest of the way. Thanks for all the treatment recommendations, please keep the suggestions coming!

2008-05-04 3:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

Forums just rock!  It's good to share information.

Are you going to the physio? Are you doing any core strength exercises and lots of glute/hamstring stretching?  If not then it's time to start.

2008-05-04 11:06 AM

User image

Las Vegas
I have been doing the stretches before every run, but I have to admit, I do not do the same amount of stretching before a bike ride...so now I know I must incorporate it. I have been following the core strength exercises given here on BT, but I am a little unclear what physio means...is that physical therapist? Who ever it is, I will get an appt with them to get back on track. I don't want this sidelining me just when I am beginning this sport. What type of doc would give the corticosteroid injections?
2008-05-04 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

I find that stretching after exercising is better as the muscles are warm.  Sorry with physio I mean a physio therapist, who will diagnose your injury and also give you a rehab plan to get into shape so that it doesn't happen again :-)

Seeing the physio was the best thing I ever did!!  I ran 30mins on the treadmill yesterday pain free!

2008-05-04 9:35 PM

User image

Las Vegas
Great! Thank you so much for the info...I will try stretching after my workout. Today the pain is definitely worse and I can walk on flat surfaces, but cannot walk uphill. I think this week will focus just on swimming, core training and stretches. Thanks again!
2008-05-04 10:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

No worries!!  Glad I could help Smile

Try some aqua jogging, it helped me as there's no impact on the bones and is great for building muscle.

2008-07-21 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
I have this nagging pain in my right buttock that I also think is piriformus. My whole hip, hamstring, ITB, calf, achilles, and arch KILL on that side. I try to stretch, but I don't know what to do.

I notice that I use my right leg more in all three disciplines and there is a pronounced difference in the strength of my right and left legs. How do you treat the pain?
2008-07-21 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1546851

User image

Master
Bronze member

RUN not walk & do not pass go and get yourself to a SOLID EXPERIENCED PT and /or Sports MD/Chiro and get some insight into the SOURCE of your issues so you can treat appropriately..!!!Some core sttrength & stretch wouldn't be a bad thing but with the list you have you really run the risk of multiple chronic problems if you cannot isolate cause..

just my 2 cents..

having been sidelined now for NINE MONTHS and less than healthy for over 18 MONTHS!!!

2008-07-22 10:31 PM

Yes, I too had that same pain. A burning-like pain in my right buttock after riding long distance . I self-diagnosed piriformis, and headed off to the chiropractor to get fixed. Several x.rays later, I have learned that I have a degenerative disc that is causing the pain. My moral of the story here is that you must see your doctor/chiropractor for any significant, persistant discomfort. Now that I know what it is, it's really no big deal. I have regular chiropractic care and I can carry on training and racing.
2008-08-01 6:44 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

I over did myself doing some water aerobics early in the week and now I've got the dull ache in my left buttock.   Was able to grind out a slow 9 mile run even with the dull ache going down my thigh.

So after some of the same research...I found this nifty website.      http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/piriformis-syndrome.php

I'll give it a couple more days and see how it responds.  Than off to get official medical help...

2008-08-03 11:18 AM

Veteran
Once the doctors clear you, find a good massage therapist that can work on the piriformis. You can also get a tennis ball and or a racquetball and lay on the floor and find the spot that gets it. As you get worked out, you can work your way down to a golf ball.

Kara

2008-08-03 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1578634

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

MaesMama - 2008-08-03 9:18 AM Once the doctors clear you, find a good massage therapist that can work on the piriformis. You can also get a tennis ball and or a racquetball and lay on the floor and find the spot that gets it. As you get worked out, you can work your way down to a golf ball. Kara

I've heard of that somewhere.  Using a tennis ball.  Thanks.

2008-08-03 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Don't forget Active Release

2008-08-03 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1578643

Veteran
BellinghamSpence - 2008-08-03 11:22 AM

MaesMama - 2008-08-03 9:18 AM Once the doctors clear you, find a good massage therapist that can work on the piriformis. You can also get a tennis ball and or a racquetball and lay on the floor and find the spot that gets it. As you get worked out, you can work your way down to a golf ball. Kara

I've heard of that somewhere.  Using a tennis ball.  Thanks.

I'm a massage therapist and I use tennis balls, racquetballs, golf balls and the like to self-treat when I can. I also don't hesitate to go in and get a massage when I need it. I just wish something would work on my neck.

Oh well.

Kara
2008-08-14 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
trigger Point technologies
2008-08-17 10:23 AM

Dude, it seems like everyone has the exact same thing that I'm now seeming to have. And before anyone says "go see a doc", I am calling my doc tomorrow so I can get a recommendation for a sports med/PT type person (stupid HMOs). My right side butt muscle (whatever that is) hurts and the front of my right hip kind of does too. But there is no lower back pain. It's okay as long as I don't walk/run on a road that is slanted. Unfortunately, a lot of portions of the trails around here are cambered slightly and if you run towards the center line, the cyclists get mad. This only started maybe 2 weeks ago, about a week after I went to the beach and had to do all my running on concrete sidewalks/boardwalk.

2008-08-17 2:40 PM

User image

Master
PA

I have been dealing with glute issues via massage therapy.  It's all overtop of shorts...I had to clear that up before I went.  There would be no naked booty work done on this chica.

Be warned...seeing a sports massage therapist for deep tissue muscle work on the glutes can be excrutiatingly painful.  My guy does this all with his elbow and he finds the trigger points and stays on them until they release.  I have all these right calf & foot issues, which he believes the root cause of is actually in the glutes.  Which furthermore has been caused by 25 years of flip turns to the same side with a dominant R leg.  To give you a nice visual of what it's like, I am writhing across the table, drenched in sweat, and cussing up a storm.  I'm really not joking.  HOWEVER, it works.  I am amazed.  My 'maintenance' is a softball or baseball on any glute trigger points.  30 seconds when I find one.  And then foam roller on the entire IT band, quads, hams, and calves.  When I stay on it, my issues are significantly reduced, however I don't.   So then I'm back at him needing him to kick start the process of working everything out again.  Maybe worth a try.

2008-08-17 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

I just started to get pain in this area on my right side while biking long this week.  It only bugs me while biking (so far).  I have the TP therapy stuff and have been using the ball.  It is a bit better but I'm going to have it looked at by PT tomorrow...I have a half IM coming up and want to know whether I should do it or not. 

This forum is great....keep the ideas coming!

2008-08-20 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I'll add to the "me too" nature of this issue.

Here is my story. I was doing speed work back in February (six months ago) and felt a twinge in my right glute. I was in the middle of training for a half marathon followed by a full marathon and that twinge just became one of those nagging injuries we all suffer from time to time. It never hurt when I wasn't training and really only flared up when I really pushed my pace.

In the last month or two I've been doing a lot more speed work and high-intensity intervals and about two weeks ago following a long run it really flared up. I'd never had an issue with it outside of high-intensity fast runs but I was now experiencing it more often and occasionaly outside of training. It slow dissipated and I was back to normal. A few weeks later I do another long run and right as I finish I acute pain again. That was a week or two ago and the pain has been persistent since then. Mostly just a nagging tightness but after a weekend tri it is now actually painful and I'm getting referred pain in my lower back.

So, I'm wondering if I've also got piriformis syndrome or something similar. I've got no pain anywhere else aside from the right glute and lower back and, ironically, it doesn't hurt when I run, bike or swim. However, I can barely bend over to do a hamstring stretch without pain.

First am i right that this sounds like PS? I realize I need to go to a doc as well but I'm curious what everyone thinks. And aside from totally taking a break from training what can I do to keep it at bay for a few weeks until my season wraps up? I'm already on a stretching routine and NSAID's to reduce inflammation.

--Chris
2008-08-22 4:39 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Here is my story. I am not sure anyone will find something applicable to there situation. Don't worry if it doesn't, it won't hurt my feelings, but I do sincerely hope it does.

In the early 80s I had a number of surgeries on my left knee, including a AC total replacement and a high tibial osteotomy. (it cuts a small wedge of bone from your tibia to remove pressure on a joint, and in my case it was the left where I had arthritis on the medial meniscus location. The cartilage was long gone. I made a long journey making my way back from a devastating injury to be able to what I want. As I became more active I notice my surgically repaired left leg had far less muscle mass. I also seemed to have the habit of standing on one leg. For 10 years my only symptom was a sharp pain in the but when I sat in narrow sport seats in a ca.

Then 2 years ago I did a Sprint Tri on a lark and enjoyed it, so I signed up for an Oly distance. Unfortunately I decided to take on some weight training to strengthen my weak leg, and I also did some speed work on the track emphasizing my week leg. 

Then one day I felt a gentle dull feeling while running. I didn't think much about it but it got worse and worse. I did manage to finish the tri but at a cost. But I was out for a year. The pain got worse and training stopped. I started to have shooting pains so I went to an ortho for assessment. His diagnosis focused on the back. He sent me for a back routine but it only got worse. He did an MRI and it showed that indeed my back was a mess. I went to another PT who concurred with the diagnosis that it was my back.

It just didn't make sense so I took it on to assess how I got here and worked backward. If the now severe  "Pain in the Butt" was caused by the one legged weight training and running while favoring my bad leg, I would do just the opposite. Now after 4 months the pain is receding and I have been able compete and enjoy it.

I guess the moral of the story is that athletes we all know our bodies very well, and if a doctor tells you something that doesn't incorporate that information then get another one, or do what I did and put together a plan that you believe will work based on your personal knowledge of yourself and the injury.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piriformis Syndrome or Not? Rss Feed  

of 2