Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lowes (or Home Depot) "at home" services Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-24 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: Lowes (or Home Depot) "at home" services

Anyone find this to be a borderline joke?

2 Years ago we were trying to buy 2 new outside doors and screen doors from Home Depot and have the home installation.  They first call to schedule an appointment to confirm the job.  THEN, they schedule the work.  After 2 weeks w/o even a first call for the appointment (and repeated calls to the store asking when they were going to call) - we finally cancelled the job and passed on dropping over $1K at the store.

Now, we're in need of a new toilet installed on our 2nd floor bathroom.  We go to Lowe's hoping they will be better.  We set up a home installation, pay the $35 fee and before I pay I ask the guy TWICE what the time frame is on this.  I tell him we have no working 2nd floor toilet and if it is a matter of 2 weeks before the job can be installed, I don't want this.  He assures me TWICE that it really should only be a couple of days soup to nuts.

This way Tuesday.

OK, so today they call to schedule the "assessment."  First time they can come out is 1 week from yesterday.  We ask what is the turn around from the assessment to the job and the lady basically laughs and says - we'll have to see and starts giving BS excuses as to why they can't say an actual date.

--------

So no my Saturday will be spent purchasing and installing a toilet myself.  On the bright side, I saved the $200 installation fee AND 2+ weeks of having to trudge to the first floor at night to "use the facilities."

anyone else find these services a joke?

2008-04-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1359392

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Lowes (or Home Depot) "at home" services
I hope it's a low flow!

Can't say anything about the 'at home' services. It sounds similar to my general dating status and attempts at finding a good man. So yeah, in that case, it is a bit of a joke!
2008-04-24 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl

You are much better off (both quality of work and price).  If you go to an independent supplier (plumbing or fixture supply shop).  They usually have better deals.  They will also be able to reccomend someone local who can give you a real estimate.   I have found that the HD or Lowes is about 33 to 50 percent more expensive than a regular install.  So go Local. 
You will be keeping money in your local economy and getting better service.  Whats not to like?  

2008-04-24 11:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-24 12:15 PM

Pro
Tejas

Lowes and Home Depot have a regional manager in charge of these home installations. You need to find out who that person is in your region and contact them. We went with Lowes on a Zodiaq countertop upgrade last year. To make a really looooooong story short, we went through all three of the authorized Zodiaq installers within our area, neither of them were able to complete the job to our satisfaction, one of them managed to flood our living room and wooden hallway floor.

After the second attempt to install the countertops, Lowes had an employee at our house anytime the contractors were there. When we saw a mistake, he took the contractor aside and told him it needed fixing. Working with the regional manager, we scheduled the work that was done in our home. This guy also arranged for the new carpeting and wood floor resurfacing. When it was all done Lowes ate the 6000 dollar tab for the countertops, replaced our carpet and resurfaced our hallway floor. We had to deal only with the Lowes guy they sent to our house and the regional manager.

Home Depot this year for new appliances. It took them three delivery attempts to finally get us undamaged appliances. We got in touch with the manager in charge of these things and they took 100 dollars off our bill very time they screwed up the deilvery. The third delivery guys marred my newly resurfaced wooden floor in the hallway. They gave us a 400 dollars store card to spend as we wished for the troubles alone. They also sent out the insurance adjuster and cut us a check for 1500 bucks to fix the floor.

I was reluctant to pay Lowes as a middle man, but I am really glad we did. I would most likely be tied up in court with the contractor otherwise. Find the regional manager and he/she should be able to make things happen for you.

2008-04-24 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1359447

2008-04-24 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1359632

Master
Tampa, Fl
mdg2003 - 2008-04-24 1:15 PM

Lowes and Home Depot have a regional manager in charge of these home installations. You need to find out who that person is in your region and contact them. We went with Lowes on a Zodiaq countertop upgrade last year. To make a really looooooong story short, we went through all three of the authorized Zodiaq installers within our area, neither of them were able to complete the job to our satisfaction, one of them managed to flood our living room and wooden hallway floor.

After the second attempt to install the countertops, Lowes had an employee at our house anytime the contractors were there. When we saw a mistake, he took the contractor aside and told him it needed fixing. Working with the regional manager, we scheduled the work that was done in our home. This guy also arranged for the new carpeting and wood floor resurfacing. When it was all done Lowes ate the 6000 dollar tab for the countertops, replaced our carpet and resurfaced our hallway floor. We had to deal only with the Lowes guy they sent to our house and the regional manager.

Home Depot this year for new appliances. It took them three delivery attempts to finally get us undamaged appliances. We got in touch with the manager in charge of these things and they took 100 dollars off our bill very time they screwed up the deilvery. The third delivery guys marred my newly resurfaced wooden floor in the hallway. They gave us a 400 dollars store card to spend as we wished for the troubles alone. They also sent out the insurance adjuster and cut us a check for 1500 bucks to fix the floor.

I was reluctant to pay Lowes as a middle man, but I am really glad we did. I would most likely be tied up in court with the contractor otherwise. Find the regional manager and he/she should be able to make things happen for you.

I see what you are saying but the point I was making is that if you use a reputable and recommended local person then you don't have to deal with poor work and flooded hallways.  You get the job done quickly at a much better price.   Big Box store will use the cheapest contractors with the worst labor to do the install because it increases their profit margin.   

2008-04-24 12:39 PM

Champion
Richmond, VA

My problem is that we are new to this area and don't know the "reputable" local dealers.  We've tried asking around, but all of our local friends live on West Point and they have their work done by "building services."

We have a great floor guy that we've used for small jobs, but otherwise have just gotten really sick and tired of leaving countless messages with various tradesmen to NEVER hear back.

Back home in Iowa, my uncles do various jobs and are plugged in to the local network, so it would have been as easy as picking up the phone and having someone stop over on their way home from work to do it as a favor. 

My biggest problem is finding time to train for my races AND do the house renovation work (on a timely basis).  Apparently my wife has grown sick of living in a "construction site." 

2008-04-24 12:55 PM

Master
Tampa, Fl

I would recommend going to a supply house and asking them to recommend a good sub. 

Also if you found a good floor guy you like ask him as well.  Chances are if he is not able to do what you need he knows a good guy to do the work. 

Typically a good craftsman would never recommend a guy who does a shoddy job.   

2008-04-24 2:23 PM

Pro
Husker Nation
I used Home Depot to have some carpet installed in my house before I sold it about 3 years ago. There was a Home Depot guy who came out and measured, then the contracted with a local flooring installer to come out and do the work. They showed up before they were scheduled and finished faster than they said they would. The quality was very good and the only thing that bugs me is that they were able to finagle the carpet in such a way that they had about 30 square feet leftover. Apparently a computer takes the measurements and has the carpet cut accordingly. They were able to lay the carpet a different way and put the seams in a way better spot with 90% less traffic and still used less material! I had them give me a card in case I needed some flooring installed in the future. Apparently what they get paid from Home Depot is about half of what the consumer pays. If possible you could try to find out who the contractor would be and get ahold of them yourself rather than going thru the middle man?

Or you could just move back to Iowa :-D
2008-04-24 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1359675

Pro
Tejas
rbschlesinger - 2008-04-24 12:32 PM
mdg2003 - 2008-04-24 1:15 PM

I see what you are saying but the point I was making is that if you use a reputable and recommended local person then you don't have to deal with poor work and flooded hallways.  You get the job done quickly at a much better price.   Big Box store will use the cheapest contractors with the worst labor to do the install because it increases their profit margin.   

I see your point and agree with you for the most part. The three installers were the only guys that Dupont would allow to install Zodiaq in our area, so they were the reputable guys in theory. We also have a home repair work force in San Antonio that I can best describe as migrant. There are countless cases where you pay half up front, they come out and measure and you never see them again. Or if you have a shoddy install, you wind up in court.

I had one of the contractors argue with me about the angle on one of the counters he put in. It was actually miscut at about 80 degrees instead of 90. I put a carpenters square on it to show him. He wanted to argue with me about it and said it was in limits. I told him to get out of my house. Lowes backed me on it and the next company that took over came in and removed his mistakes and took the material back to them and I never saw the guy again. Believe me i hated the thought of paying Lowes to be middle man, but I am glad I did.

I think it depends on where you live and the size of the job whether the big store middleman is a good idea. The main point I was trying to get to condorman is to find the regional manager and start complaining. He will get things popping for you and will probably knock some $$ off the price if you ask.

Edited by mdg2003 2008-04-24 4:04 PM

2008-04-24 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1359632

Champion
Butler
mdg2003 - 2008-04-24 12:15 PM

After the second attempt to install the countertops, Lowes had an employee at our house anytime the contractors were there. When we saw a mistake, he took the contractor aside and told him it needed fixing. Working with the regional manager, we scheduled the work that was done in our home. This guy also arranged for the new carpeting and wood floor resurfacing. When it was all done Lowes ate the 6000 dollar tab for the countertops, replaced our carpet and resurfaced our hallway floor. We had to deal only with the Lowes guy they sent to our house and the regional manager.

Definately advantage of using HD or Lowes is if they screw something up they will usually pay for it.  You go to Joe Blow your local guy and he screws up you might not be able to find him.  I used to work at HD part time a few years ago and one of the trainers basically told us the same thing.  He had some carpet put in and it was probably more expensive than he could have purchased elsewhere but knowing they would fix problems was worth the $.  Now for a toilet if you can I would just do that myself.  Pretty basic and should not take long.
2008-04-24 4:10 PM

2008-04-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1359424

Vienna, VA
rooneye - 2008-04-24 12:10 PM

I hope it's a low flow!

Can't say anything about the 'at home' services. It sounds similar to my general dating status and attempts at finding a good man. So yeah, in that case, it is a bit of a joke!

What, you mean their pipe isn't working?
2021-08-09 3:18 AM
in reply to: condorman

Lowe's offers a wide range of additional services to help you with your projects.Tackle big budget projects with credit financing and our team of Lowe's certified installers. Even after your product's manufacturer warranty expires, we offer extended protection plans for repairs and replacements.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lowes (or Home Depot) "at home" services Rss Feed