General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Give Peace A Tri - Sprint Triathlon (Keene, NH) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-24 8:50 PM

User image

NH
Subject: Give Peace A Tri - Sprint Triathlon (Keene, NH)
Hey Tri-Guys & Gals,

Whether you're a beginner, veteran age-grouper or ironman, this is a great Sprint event for a great group. Mothers Uniting is putting on the 3rd Annual Give Peace A Tri - Try Making A Difference Sprint Triathlon at Surry Mountain Recreation Area in Keene, NH on Saturday, July 5, 2008. It was due to my wife's persistent coaxing that I became a reluctant triathlete two years ago at the very first GPAT event. I have since become hooked on the sport and completed Timberman for the first time last year.

You can participate in the triathlon as a racer, relay team-member or volunteer. It consists of a .25 mile swim, an 8 mile bike ride and a 3.1 mile run. You can check out all the details and register online at the website: www.givepeaceatri.net The event proceeds will support Mothers Uniting which works to create a non-violent and just world for ALL children.

Like anything that makes a difference in life, this sprint triathlon is a challenge that can be met with dedication and effort. That is the overall point of this event. If you can do THIS, just think of ALL the other differences you can make in this world!

Please pass this info along to anyone you think might be interested and let me know if you have any questions. I'd love to see you all out there!

Peace-
Addison

2008-04-26 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1360706

User image

Expert
Morgantown, WV
Subject: RE: Give Peace A Tri - Sprint Triathlon (Keene, NH)
hmmm...Keene eh?  I have several friends in Keene, maybe I'll visit them and while I'm down there might as well hit up a tri too!
2008-05-02 10:40 AM

Regular
I'm a newbie to this forum, but saw the website for this tri. I am thinking about doing it as my first tri. Can you tell me a little about the competitveness of it, I'm slightly intimidated, and might choose to come watch or volunteer. Will there be competitors in regular t-shirts, or will most be serious looking, tri-suit wearing, tri bike riding, gonna smoke me athletes?
2008-05-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1377828

User image

NH

vtgirl - 2008-05-02 11:40 AM I'm a newbie to this forum, but saw the website for this tri. I am thinking about doing it as my first tri. Can you tell me a little about the competitveness of it, I'm slightly intimidated, and might choose to come watch or volunteer. Will there be competitors in regular t-shirts, or will most be serious looking, tri-suit wearing, tri bike riding, gonna smoke me athletes?

Hi VTGIRL,

It was my  first tri a couple years ago and there is no reason in the world to be intimidated.  There will be plenty of t-shirts and some mountain bikes, too :-)  It's really laid back.  There are a wide variety of ages and skill levels.  There are also a good number of folks who are just active recreational types who will do just this as their only tri all season.  It's limited to 200 , so it's not huge either.  It's a great time, I hope you come out for it.  Let me know if I can answer anything else.

-Addison

2008-05-30 7:08 PM

Veteran
Brrr-mont

Addison,

Do you know if there are still openings?  Hubby and I are thinking of doing the event together, it sounds like a great low-key event which will be perfect for his first one  

2008-05-30 11:19 PM
in reply to: #1434543

User image

NH
karbates - 2008-05-30 8:08 PM

Addison,

Do you know if there are still openings?  Hubby and I are thinking of doing the event together, it sounds like a great low-key event which will be perfect for his first one  

Hi Karbates,

Yes, there are still openings.  My wife is the race director this year so I'm getting this info firsthand ;-)  They have room for 200 entrants which filled up completely last year.  So register ASAP.  Finally, you're right it's a great first-time low-key event.  We'd love to see you guys out there!

Addison

2008-06-17 11:07 AM

Regular
I'm in!!!!! I signed up today! This will be my first tri. Please pray to the bike gods that a nice bike finds me soon....er I mean, I find a nice bike soon!
2008-06-17 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1471590

User image

NH

vtgirl - 2008-06-17 12:07 PM I'm in!!!!! I signed up today! This will be my first tri. Please pray to the bike gods that a nice bike finds me soon....er I mean, I find a nice bike soon!

Woo-hoo!  My fingers are crossed that your future bike finds you.  Look for me on the 5th.

Addison

2008-06-19 1:08 PM

Regular
Will do!

I imagine you live in the Keene area. Any good experience with the bike shops there? I was in Norm's the other day... but the owner was with another customer, and my sales girl didn't know too much about road bikes.
2008-06-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1476968

User image

NH

vtgirl - 2008-06-19 2:08 PM Will do! I imagine you live in the Keene area. Any good experience with the bike shops there? I was in Norm's the other day... but the owner was with another customer, and my sales girl didn't know too much about road bikes.

Yeah, I live in Keene.  Of the two bike shops in town, I prefer Norm's.  The owner, JC, definitely knows bikes.  So, if you make a point to talk to him next time you're there, I'm sure he'll help you out.  All this being said, it's probably worth checking out Andy's bike shop, too.  Good luck.

2011-12-08 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

I realise this thread is a few years old, but I thought I'd breathe a little life back into it, if anyone's reading out there in VT/NH. I'm hoping this will be my first tri! My friend has done it for the past couple of years and said it's a great, laid-back tri. Lots of hybrids and mountain bikes, and little attitude. Perfect! Now...to be able to swim that distance....ugh.

Does anyone know if the lake is open to seasonal open water swimming? I live in southern VT so it'd be easy enough for me to start practicing there. Thanks everyone! Hope this event happens again for 2012.

2011-12-09 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3932065

Pike NH
What is the date for this tri?
2011-12-10 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Last year's Give Peace A Tri was August 6th. Their site hasn't announced a date for 2012, but 2011 and 2010 were both around the 6/7 of August. In previous years, it looks like the tri was in July.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Give Peace A Tri - Sprint Triathlon (Keene, NH) Rss Feed