General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My season is over before it even started (long) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-04-29 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1361351

Champion
Subject: RE: My season is over before it even started (long)

Yeah, what the previous poster said.  Seriously, I would talk to an attorney and have him/her contact the dog's owner.  Depending on the state of the leash laws in your city/town, the owner should be more or less responsible for all your expenses, including bike repairs, pain and suffering, loss of work, etc.

2008-04-30 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1361375

User image

Expert
Denver Area
I'm glad you're OK, that's a scary story!
2008-04-30 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Thanks again for all the well-wishes. BTers are the best!

Just as a quick update, we have met with a lawyer, and I am scheduled for surgery to repair my clavicle on Friday. It's in three separate pieces, and my whole right shoulder is noticeably lower than my left, so the surgeon recommended it. I am really looking forward to getting this fixed and starting to get my life back to normal! It will be a long process, but the good news is that someday, hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll be back 100%.
2008-04-30 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Linda,

I'm so sorry about your accident!  It sounds terrifying, and I'm very glad that there was someone there immediately to help you. 

You asked if anyone had the surgery to repair a broken clavicle.  Two years ago I was out running and tripped on a wooden bridge, fell into the upright railing, and fractured my collarbone.  It wasn't as bad as yours, but it still hurt like crazy.  I went through the next year with a non-union (long involved story -- don't let them talk you into using a bone stimulator because it doesn't work, well at least in my case).  I was able to do most things (like running, biking, skiing), but was unable to swim at all.

After a year the doctor finally did the surgery, and what a difference!  A few days after the surgery I was at the beach and some idiot hadn't put their umbrella deep enough into the sand.  The wind picked it up and it came flying at me.  I automatically put my arms up to catch it -- and felt no pain at all!  The clavicle was completely healed within 6 months.  But I still had a problem -- the screws on the plate are long, and every time I raise my arm they grind (so swimming has still been nearly impossible).  It's not terribly painful, but it feels strange and sounds horrible.  However, the recommended time to keep the plate in is at least a year (and for some people, forever).  But finally on Friday I'm getting the plate taken out.

The doctor originally said I'd be "back to normal" the very next week.  But like TH3 FRB said, I think the doctor's sense of normal is very different from mine.  When I started going over the list of things I wanted to do, the answer was that I shouldn't do anything for 2-3 weeks where I'm at risk of falling, or avoid any pounding motions (even the treadmill!), or excessive arm movements in general (i.e., swimming).  So I had to negotiate with the doctor as to what I can do, and it's not much.  Stationary bike is about it, as long as I don't put any pressure on the clavicle.

These are just my experiences, but I wish I had the surgery immediately.  When the doctor put the plate in a year ago, he said the muscle was between the bones and it would never have completely healed.  But I also wish I could have had the plate taken out sooner.  In your case they may want the plate to remain, but hopefully if you decide to do this you won't have the same issue with the screws that I do.

2008-04-30 3:51 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Spokes 2008-04-30 3:53 PM
2008-04-30 4:53 PM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Linda I'm very sorry to hear about your injury.

I suffered a spiral fracture of my scapula late February in a body surfing accident in Hawaii. Even though it was a minor injury compared to yours, I thought my season was finished. For weeks I could raise my arm only a few inches when it was extended, and was in a sling for nearly a month. I thought there might be additional joint damage. Surprising after approximately 6 weeks it was feeling much better. After another two weeks I regained full range of motion. It looks like I got lucky.

Think positive. It can only help your recovery. Best wishes.

2008-04-30 5:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
I think you will be much happier getting it taken care of quickly. Good luck, keep your nurse going strong, and milk it as much as you can!!! Happy healing.

P.S. Lawyers suck -- Aggiecatcher, attorney at law (seriously)
2008-04-30 9:40 PM

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Linda, I'm glad to hear you're going forward with surgery. If anything, it'll give you peace of mind that you're doing all you can to get yourself healthy again.

As to the attorney meeting, I hope he was able to give you some help.
2008-05-01 9:03 AM

Master
Cambridge, MA

Just sending my love and best wishes for a quick recovery.  I'm sure that you will be a stronger person having experienced all of this, Linda.  I saw that with KathyG and I've seen it with many other tough-cookie triathletes who get banged up, then heal up, and come back more mentally and physically tough than ever before. 

There's always a silver lining.  It's just got to be tough to be on the mend right now.  So think good thoughts! 

Take care, -Sunny 

P.S.  And as an aside, even if you don't sue, please do try to find the dog owners.  Give them a very good sense of shame for having let their dog cause this accident.  They can use that as motivation to fix their fence, leash their dog, or do whatever else it takes to get their dog to leave cyclists alone.  The problem doesn't get better unless people know how bad it is and take responsibility for their pets. 

2008-05-01 2:34 PM

Master
St. Louis

I just now got around to reading this thread.. Im really sorry to hear about the accident. That sucks really bad.

I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. Hopefully the dog owners learned their lesson. Sheesh...

2008-05-01 2:42 PM

Expert
MA

Ow. Best of luck in your recovery.

Also, warning taken regarding dogs. I haven't run into any chasers yet but now I see the potential danger.

2008-05-01 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1373059

Expert
Berkley, MI

Send you tons of positive vibes for the surgery!  I wish for you a speedy recovery and the solice in knowing that you are going to kick butt when you return. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My season is over before it even started (long) Rss Feed  

of 3