Set-Up Inc
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 136/205
Pre-race routine:

setup the station. Helped Doug and Stacy with theirs. Went to the bathroom lots. Met up with some friends. The usual stuff. Wasn't as nervous. More excited to get it going.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 06m 55s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did very well. I passed a lady at the beginning (but she had just recovered from Bronchitis, so I guess I don't get any bragging points there). I was passed at the end of lane 2 by the woman behind me, but she had a finish swim time of 5:45 so she must have passed a lot of people. I worked on keeping a bent elbow on the pull and I could really feel the difference. I was even able to speed up in lane 5. Had to slow back down in lane 6 because a guy passed me, that probably shouldn't have, but oh well. If you subtract the 12 seconds it takes to climb the ladder and run to the timing pad, my time was the same as my practice swim earlier this week. Can't ask for better than that.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I will enter a different swim time. Maybe slightly faster. Too many people use 2:00 as a start time that don't swim that fast and it causes problems. It would be nice to complete a swim that is not impeded by other swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Leaving the pool into T1 felt good. Being wet was cooling. I debated on whether or not to put on my biking top. I decided to do it and that was tough over a wet suit. Chose to wear socks but no problems getting them on. Ran well with bike. New shoes are so much better to run in. Couldn't get my right foot to lock in! I have to loosen that, it happens too often!!!

Loosen right cleat!
Bike
  • 53m 12s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Did very well. (Once I got the dumb shoe locked in!!!) Passed several people going out. Then I got in with a group that I stayed with, we just kept trading places. The hill on Buffalo was as tough as I expected it to be. The hardest part was when I went to down shift (again) and realized I didn't have any more gears to go into! It probably took about 4 minutes to get up that hill. I raced with a higher cadence and I liked that better. Especially on the hills. Much easier to work through the gears if I focus on keeping the same cadence. I felt really strong and am pleased. I think I averaged 17mph on the bike and if I can't draft, that is good for me.

Try to keep heels down more (but did better).
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I didn't really run too far with the bike once in transition. That is when the abdominal muscle problems started.

Run with bike. Or leave shoes clamped to bike and run in socks.
Run
  • 40m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

THAT WAS TERRIBLE!!! Mainly because I didn't run much of it at all. When I got off the bike I could feel my diaphragm cramping up, and it was all the way across my abdomen. Then I could really feel where the stomach muscles were "moved" during my surgery. I felt hollow in side, like someone had removed all my abdominal muscles. Therefore running was extremely hard. I walked the first 3/4 of a mile trying to get my diaphragm from spasming. I was trying to decide if it was better to shuffle-step run until the spasms stopped, or just walk and then run. Obviously I chose to walk. At about mile 1 I started to run again, but very slowly. Again, no muscle strength. My legs were fine, just the tummy problems. It went like that for the whole course. At the water station I poured the water on myself, that helped. Then I ran through the hose. After that I was able to run the flats and walk/slow jog the hills. I did sprint across the finish line, but it was way too little too late. Oh well, I guess that was beyond my control and next time it will be better.

Not have surgery 1 month before the race!
Post race
Warm down:

walked, drank water, ate a bowl of fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

surgery!! And people in the pool.

Event comments:

Overall this was a fun race. It was challenging, but very doable. Next year I will do much better on the run and am excited to see my time go down. The weather was excellent, there were cops at every turn on the bike which was awesome, and the volunteers were good. I had a good time.

Last updated: 2008-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:55 | 300 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 131/205
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: new tri top and bottom
Course: down and back, under the lap lane, repeat for 6 laps.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:53:12 | 14 miles | 15.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 85/205
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Looped around on country roads. Started flat, then a nice down hill which means, yes, you have to go up hill. Some rolling hills until Buffalo road, then a hill that wouldn't stop! Nice downhill and flat stretch to recover with 2 decent rollers right at the finish. There were cops at every turn stopping traffic. That was super!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:49 | 03.11 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 172/205
Performance: Bad
Course: HILLY, BOTH WAYS! It was an out and back course through the neighborhood. Lots of hills, but good running surfaces. Course was marked at the mile and 2 mile marks with a cold water station at the start and turn around points. Some kids in the neighborhood were squirting people with the hose and that was great.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-26 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

2008-04-26 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1363591

Veteran
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon
Good to see you, I have a couple of good pictures. Send me your e-mail and I will get them to you. Sorry I missed you off the bike.

Kara
2008-04-27 11:26 AM

User image

Apex, NC
You raced 1 month after surgery? Are you crazy? Color me impressed.

For swim times, I generally pick an unusual number. Rather than 2:00 you might pick 1:58 or something like that. Either way though, you're going to have to deal with people who didn't choose right. There was one girl in the first 20 swimmers who was walking on the bottom of the pool within the first 100 yards. Just something you have to deal with in a pool start.

Hope your running gets better!

Rock Chalk!
2008-04-28 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Great job! Especially pushing through the pain. I had a lot of fun, hope you did!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed