DCB adventures
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 35m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

**NOTE: I will change times when official results are up! These are broad estimates based off of my watch!**

This was an odd race in that all of the transitions were at different locations. I was all confused and had to read about the 3 different bags and who and what goes in them about 5 different times! ;) I got it all figured out and packed up the night before.

Woke up about 6AM (nice and late for a tri) ate some oatmeal and started sipping on accelerade. We were out of the house by 6:30 and at T1 by 7. The racks were full of mountain bikes for the XTerra portion of the race, I would say about 50% mountain and 50% road. Some SUPER fancy bikes. I noticed this was not really a beginner's race, most people looked pretty serious. Well FINE..I'l play that game (yeah right!) :) So I racked, spilled some ice cubes from my aero bottle in the person next to me's bike...he he (Josh kindly removed them - I say it was all part of strategy). And then we saw Sally (riorio) and Fitzy (triguyfitz - dude's name is Tom). Tom was unpacking his lunch box that his mom made for him, I kid I kid. Sally was worried as she was going to have to ride all of those hills in BIG ring but I think Josh was able to help her a little! YAY! Saw Milton drive in as we headed out to the next parking lot to drop off our T2 run bags and catch a shuttle to the start in yet another location. Unorganized people need not apply! ;) After waiting for the bus forever Brian arrived all suited up thanks to his wife Jenna and we all loaded on the same bus with plenty of time to spare for the swim start.
Swim
  • 31m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got the suit on, got in the water and holy chilly! But I expected it from swimming out there there the Thursday before. OH I had decided to try out new earrplugs for the first time since swimming in cold water gives me the major dizzies/ vertigo so I tried to get those to get a seal. Saw Sally in the pack (mass start) let Josh play grab A$$ a little and next thing I knew we were OFF! OK so I felt wonderful on the swim, drafting off of people, sighting when I could, rolling well, reaching, diving the shoulder...ahhh, it was CLICKING! But after I made it to the second yellow buoy I was lost! WHERE DO I GO? I thought I had remembered to follow the shore so I swam the shoreline. I breathe to my right and caught glimpses of people WAAAAY out in the lake to my right 'well those F*ers cut from the buoy tot he point' (for those who swim at BJC the point is that first far buoy) so I had swum about 2-300 along the shore and then cut straight across to the point, I noticed others doing this as well. We were kind of in no mans land, in the middle as there were still some swimmers swimming shoreline. Eh, whatever. There were NO buoys after the first two, it was confusing as all hell and I know I swam way long. But oh well, it was a good swim, I never felt uncomfortable or nervous and there was a lot of action in the mass start. A+ swim for me despite the confusion. OH another odd thing to mention, swimming shoreline caused for you to actually go so shallow you scraped bottom at some points, that was WEIRD! but this swim was absolutely magestic. The cliff walls outside of the Keyhole area were amazing, when I would roll to my left it was just breathtaking, most beautiful swim I can imagine. Except that part of the swim had some WEIRD current with the waves backwashing against the cliff wall, it was short lived but felt very odd!

After turning into Butcher Jones Cove I turned it on and passed people into transition, felt people on my feet THE WHOLE TIME! And for the first time EVER out of a swim: stood up and RAN all the way into transition (insert Hallelujah song here). You see I ALWAYS have to stand for a good amount of time and let the dizzies pass, I have even just sat down or put a hand down, this was WONDERFUl and made me SO HAPPY!! So I start stripping down my suit and who do I hear? EL ROBOTO! He was on my feet the whole time! How funny!!! We chatted on the LOOONG run into T1 (it was the first lot) but I beat him out of T1 - heh!
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

Little chit chatty in T1 as my husband and I were racked next to eachother and of course had to talk about the swim! :) Felt good in T1 though usually my HR is SKY HIGH but nope, was ready to rock the hill out of BJC!
What would you do differently?:

Nada, who cares!? ;)
Bike
  • 2h 00m
  • 30 miles
  • 15.00 mile/hr

Ahh the bike. Ernesto (my bike) and I left T1 and I told Josh he could come catch me on the hills. The bike climbs 1,000 feet in 4 miles and my hubs is WAHAY better at hills so I knew I wouldn't see him much. But much to my surprise my legs felt superb on the initial hill as transition dumps you immediately onto them. OK no problem, I know this hill, I have run it often and biked it recently - BRING IT! So I climb the first part and as it flattens I play the 'I'll big ring the flats and downs to make up for my odd swim time" (I had realized I swam quite long on the course and had some catching up to do) so the first flat feeds into a downhill wash. I bump my brake lever quickly to pop to big ring and it does just that - literally pops RIGHT OVER the big ring. Ummm, hmmm, I have NEVER ever seen a bike do that before. The chain is hanging on my right crank arm. OOOOKKKKAAAAYYYY. Easy fix, hop off the bike and Josh goes by and is like "WTF???" I tell him no biggie and to go ahead. Get it on and start again, thinking freak accident as I had checked everything over WELL the day before. So there's another short climb and a small downhill and I go to do it again and POP, chain on crank arm. Ohhh, so you want to play that game. Either I can ride in little ring all day, or we can stay in big ring...or, well we've got time to figure this out. I laugh to myself as I did want this race to challenge me. Right? ;)

OK so the climb out of BJC seems like no biggie as I am dealing with bike probs, Ernesto is a GRUMPY boy today. But we're good to go and I get on the flat and had left it in big ring to climb the rest out of BJC since I knew there was some screaming downhill out of the cove. And yeah, I was right, that was FUN! I passed ALOT of people there which made me feel good since so many people had passed me when I stopped those two times. It made me feel better but I knew I was still very BOP. I'm cool with that today, or any day, but for this race especially, just here for the experience. So I get in the "good" mindset, and am screaming 38 mph down near water users and SWPLASH water everywhere on my face and something hits the ground, I quickly look down and yell as I knew people were behind me. My aerobottle went AIRBORNE and FLEW UP and OUT of its holder and was not a good 100 feet behind me. F*CK. OK, 4 miles...3 problems. No water now, stuck with Accelerade, I quickly think 'how am I going to take my gels?' Damn. OK, no biggie, we'll work it out. I was more freaked about people hitting it and felt really really bad but the thing was, I could not stop and go get it as the roads are open to traffic. OK put it behind me, I've got MORE hills to climb.

At this point I had picked some people out, one in particular had passed me while fixing my chain (numero dos) and he was wearing tights. I thought ot myself 'it's going to be mid-90's today who the hell wear's tights? AND if you choose to wear tights you are not allowed to beat me!' So I kept him in my sights.

Get to the 4-way stop and ask a Sheriff "am I winning?" He looks puzzled and starts cracking up!

Now I am on the Usery, hey, I've already climbed almost as much as this already BRING IT! I start picking people off slowly, then there's Tighty - about 50 feet ahead. I get so close, soo sooo close (like 10 feet close) all the way to the top and he takes off. DAMN didn't catch Tighty. My thoughts turn to water on the downhill - consumed with water. My accelerade is making me feel pukey and I am sooo thirsty so I keep drinking it. Damn, time for a gel but no way in hell am I doing a gel with accelerade, skip that. So rides all good and well: McDowell, Ridecrest, Power (wheee) oh and get passed by BHannahs who looks GREAT out there, get to the backside and BLECK...stomach cramps...BAD. I have NEVER had stomach cramps on the bike. WEIRD. OK whatever, NEED WATER. But its cool. I am cranking along really enjoying myself and the ride. Climb that little hill by the river and think "HOME FREE! YIPPPEEEE!" Forget about the whole shifting into big ring deal and POP - chain on the crank, and this time...it pi$$es me off. I think it was because I was so close to being done. I got passed by three people fixing it that time and I was convinced I was DEAD last. Which doesn't concern me, but then I got lonely and still had a decent way to go, and well you know the typical stuff that happens in the last miles of a tri. So I literally tell myself "POSITIVE, BE POSITIVE, POSITIVE SELF TALK!" And that low moment was squashed and I starting thinking "dig deeper!" And caught up to TIGHTY!!!!!!! SWEEEETTTT! I really wish I knew where he finished in the end because after T2, I lost him and NO...he did not run in those tights! ;)
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

OOOH T2 was like a day spa, super sweet ladies handing you things, asking what they could do for you. Giving you could stuff. It was all shaded. PLUS there were chairs and I did Cardinal sin #1...I sat down!!! I had like 3 cups of cold water (heavenly, better than sex at that point) and then decided I should probably go finish this thing!

I wouldn't do anything differently, THEY should make T2 less inviting and wonderful! ;)
Run
  • 53m
  • 4.5 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh the run...those little bastards. Someone mentioned earlier in the day they had shortened it significantly due to the insane heat and it kinda pissed me off! WHAT??? Hey I paid for the distance I WANT the distance. But no...this was plenty, this still laid you down, and rolled over you with a bulldozer a few times. Yeah that's about what it felt like. Once again, immediately out of transition you were on a steep, steep hill. I ran, kept running, looked up and saw EVERYONE walking. I think my brain said "OH...OH GOOD!" As it was single track and if someone ahead of you was walking then, well that meant you walk! ;) I don't think my HR has ever been that high. My God. People were funny if you talked to them, no on wanted to talk "Hot, suck, Sh*t, F*ck this, who's idea was this" is about the extent of conversations I had. Heck I had a great time. OH then I found Brian, he was part of one of those conversations, cracked me up! But we did talk about other things too, so we were actually normal coherent people not walking zombies out there and we did run!

I found a pacer early in the run, a Tucson Tri Girl, not too chatty but we worked well together trading leads. But mainly she was in front as we had the same plan: walk steeps, run the hell out of downhills. One uphill in particular was just plain wrong. After the first aid station it was just straight up, straight up. And the trails were deeply rutted so you did a lot of balance beam running. Those who ran this fast I take my hats off to you, not only are you just insane, but you have some mad skillz too! It was definitely a trail!

Once we made it to the "beach" of ankle deep sand I was relived. Sure its a PITA to run in sand but there were no more rocky scrambles and it was beautifully peaceful. This run was, yet again absolutely stunning. You climbed high above the lake to actually see where we had started, kinda felt good to think what you had accomplished in the day. I was stoked to feel good on this run as it said alot about my endurance, I didn't expect to be fast but I was glad to not hurt and to be ENJOYING myself at this point.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw the friends at the finish, drank lots of cold water and went for a dip in the POOL!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- I can honestly say I was not sufficiently trained for this race. If you want to do this race and do it well: HILLS HILLS HILLS and STEEP HILLS for the run AND bike.
- I had some issues out there that slowed me down.
- I am sure if it was the ideal 60 degrees we all would have been faster right? ;)
- MORE SWIM BUOYS!

Event comments:

This race was amazing, it provided EVERYTHING I wanted and more. Extremely challenging = Extremely Rewarding. I will put this on my annual race calendar.

Last updated: 2008-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Full
Course: Point to point swim from Keyhole to Butcher Jones Cove following shoreline?
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:00:00 | 30 miles | 15.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Hills, Hills, oh and some more hills!
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:00 | 04.5 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: HA - I think that is what they said when they made this course!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-26 7:34 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: Saguaro Lake OLY

2008-04-26 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1363921

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Subject: RE: Saguaro Lake OLY
Great write up. I was so glad that you ended up doing this race. It was great getting to start with you and to finish the swim with you. You did amazingly well and we will definitely be back next year.
2008-04-26 7:56 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-26 9:44 PM

Elite
the desert

Loved your race report - - you describe the course perfectly!  Your blog entry for the day also cracked me up -"It forced me to grow some balls and then proceeed to kick me, repeatedly, in them" - - that sums it up nicely!  Great report, great race today!

2008-04-26 10:02 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Great job in the race! Yep, that's a crazy challenging one. I loved the part where you chased after tighty! You took him DOWN!

Dude, nothing scares me more than loosing a water bottle in a hot AZ race!

2008-04-26 11:20 PM

Master
Wisteria Lane
Congrats on an awesome race!! Sounds so challenging but you toughed it out and did it!! WOOHOO!! YAY! Loved your report!

2008-04-26 11:48 PM

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Your RR's are always so fun to read. The way you describe things really keeps me interested and asking for more.

I'm glad you had fun despite the issues you encountered and the tough course. I'm proud of you.

2008-04-27 7:37 AM

Expert
scottsdale, az
Great race report!!! What an awesome bike name, I love it!!! My dad was in a Viper ( with a group), I wonder if he say any of you guys?? He felt so bad for everyone on the bike. I bet if felt WONDERFUL to cross that finish line!!
2008-04-27 10:06 AM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

What a great race report! You really captured the event! You totally rocked that course and it was great to see you finish with a huge smile on your face! I had fun hanging out with you guys- you are always so chilled out before the race- that really helps me!

Well done! I'm going to do this next year for sure!

2008-04-27 12:12 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-27 4:04 PM

Pro
AZ
OMG you did awesome!! I am so glad I didn't do it! I am exhausted just from reading all your race reports!!! Jeez!!  And why was your bike all jacked? I cannot believe you lost your aero bottle! That is messed up!!!  Nicely done. You rocked it best you could!

2008-04-27 5:47 PM

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Great report! That sounds like a doozie. Way to dig down and adapt. That's what it's all about.
2008-04-28 9:39 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great race report, Jen - it really sums up the day.  You did such a great job of pushing through the troubles you had.  The way you took on the run, no one could have had any idea what you had gone through on the bike. Your marathon training is really paying off.  When you decided to go for it on the run, you just took off and the next thing I knew you were at the top of (another) big hill and then out of sight - great job!!! 
2008-04-29 12:20 AM

Mesa
Extremely challenging = Extremely Rewarding
<---- well said Jen

Great job out there. You had a good attitude all the way through the race while be challenged by bike troubles and a tough course. I like how you pick people out to pass and beat.... I can't believe somebody was wearing tights. LOL

2008-04-29 9:52 AM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Wow, Jen...that was an AWESOME RR!!  I loved reading it.  I wish I could see pics.  Nice work!!  Well...except that sitting down part...bad girl!!   Great work though, even with Ernesto being naughty.  Way to work thru it! 

Congrats!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Saguaro Lake OLY Rss Feed